Pain Relief?

Try and keep an open mind.

My waters broke early with my first, I was induced a few days later. I had the tens machine and was on a syntocin drip & antibotic drip after 12 hours the pain started to get more difficult to cope with. I was stuck on the bed due to being monitored and the drips.

The only option I had was for pethidine at that point. As far as they were concerned I wasn't in established labour and I wasn't going to be examined again for another several hours so it was pethidine or nothing.

I have to say it worked fabulously for me.

After another 5 hours or so I was examined and was 6cm so was able to have the gas and air too. I had another pethidine injection at that point. That was all the pain relief I had and it really controlled the pain.

Baby was fine, not particularly sleepy.

Don't rule anything out is the best advice I can give.

DS1 I had Tens, then got into the birthing pool and used Gas and Air for about an hour, then I had nothing right up until delivery. (I delivered in the pool)

DS2 I had Tens, then gas and air and that was it.

Both times I went in with an open mind, but KNEW that I did not want, no matter how much I screamed for it, :lol: an epidural :lol: I even wrote on my Birth plans that no matter how much I asked for it, I DID NOT want an epidural. :lol:

Every Birth is different, so what you have for 1, may not be sufficient for another. I found the Water Birth with DS1 the least painful.

This time I'm having a Section, so they can give me what they like :lol: :lol:

See, it doesn't bother me in the slightest whether I have every form of pain relief available or nothing at all. I won't be walking out of the hospital with my daughter feeling any disappointment or anything, I'm sure of it.

I personally am keeping my options open. I can't even say "if I can go without/just gas & air then great!" because that's not actually how I feel. :think:

At the same time, when I hear women say that they'd prefer to go as natural as possible, although I don't think in the same way, I'd always support it and hope they are able to do it!

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back