What are your thoughts?

TORino

Reaction score
I really like a name but it is an Irish name. (infact there are several names with an Irish origin I like)

Im not irish and I have no Irish ancestry in my family. Infact baby's surname is a Scottish one if anything.

Do you think it matters? I don't suppose it does but I kind of have this feeling that we shouldn't have an Irish name for our LO for some reason.

What do you think?

i like quite a fe rish names, and neither me or hubby have any irish (or scottish) blood in us.

To me ifyou like it, who cares!!

PS - what you thinkng? I like Niamh

I know a lot of people that are drawn towards Irish names but have no Irish connection, I don't think it really matters aslong as you like the name hun xx

The names I like are orlaith, aoiffe and saoirse. They are quite Irish! Also love Niamh

Im biast cos im Irish but the only thing is living outside of Ireland at the moment I find that a lot of people dot get the spellings so might be something work thinking about, dont think it matters where your from if we dont go with Irish name the other are from allover even a few Hawaiann names lol

Niamh to me is completly normal and was only during baby name conversations in work that I discovered English people have difficluty understandign the spellings of those sorts lol and dont know how to pronounce them from looing at the spelling :)

Im also irish so if you use me and hugsy then thats ur irish connection :)

I agree with the point of the spelling but i think that makes it more interesting in a way ! One of my friends is called aisling but everyone in work calls her a-ling i dunno why i think its something to do with a scottish name but its pronounced the same as ashling. I love the name saoirse .. ive written on one of the threads here a whole list of irish names for someone else if ya wanna have a nose :)

I'm Irish too, so you've loads of Irish connections!:)
Living n NZ, we decided not to go with an Irish name for our kids, purely because of the difficulty people here have in pronouncing / spelling them ( well any of the ones we liked anyway!) we didn't want them to have to go through life constantly spelling their name or correcting pronunciations. But that sad, if you've fallen in love with a name then go for it!

I'm Irish too, so you've loads of Irish connections!:)
Living n NZ, we decided not to go with an Irish name for our kids, purely because of the difficulty people here have in pronouncing / spelling them ( well any of the ones we liked anyway!) we didn't want them to have to go through life constantly spelling their name or correcting pronunciations. But that sad, if you've fallen in love with a name then go for it!

Iriki is Hamish popular in NZ?
When I've been looking on line it said it was in there top 100, it's a name on my list xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back