Irish Girls Names

soulem

Reaction score
Anyone know any Irish girls names?? The book I have doesn't have many in and OH would like an Irish name if we have a girl (got the boy name sorted!!) I like the name Isla, but apparently that's Scottish!!

Help!

Best bet is to buy a book of Irish baby names - lots on amazon :D

My middle name is Siobhan which I love and a lot of my close friends call me.

My sisters middle name is Shannon which is very Irish but also very popular, my cosins name is Ailish witht the second name Erin which I also love.

We have an Irish Granny so all the girls got given an Irish name. I'm a big fan of Irish names for girls but all my favourites have been used up on family :roll:

Alex xxx

Thanks for all replies!! It's soooooooo hard choosing names!!

Eimer said E-mer,
Roisin said Ro-sheen,
Josephine,
Mary,
Eileen,
Arleyne said Ar-leen,
Tara,
Erin,
Assumpta said Ass-ump-ta,
Sairse said Sor-cha

:)

are kiera and keighley irish? I like them.

Claire x

Niamh - I absolutely love that name and actually wanted that if we had a girl but OH said no because no one would know how to pronounce it :roll:

I have a Mhairi, althought it's strictly Scottish it is Gaelic.

Pronounced Var-eeee.

I loved Niamh, as sweetcheeks said. I also like Maobh, which can be spelt Maeve.

Aoife - Ee fa, like Eva

Caoimhe - Kee va

I like gaelic names....can you tell!?!?!

xxx

im northern irish.. im not goin for an irish name though, there are so many, u wud be safer googling...

Caoimhe is a good name, my friend is named that.

FINOLA name of my best friend.

Tierna
Catria
Catriona
Grainne
Finavar
Clodagh
Colleen

etc

We're thinking of calling our little one Cushla if we have a girl - is Irish term of endearment meaning Beat of My Heart - alot of my OH's family is Irish so it'd be nice to carry that heritage through - plus I fell in love with the name when OH suggested it - Kinda thinking Cushla May

I like Alannah a derivitive of 'a leanabh' in Irish meaning 'my child' - I had picked it for a girl.

I love Irish names but we found it hard to agree because I am from Cork and my DH is from Belfast and the pronunciations of loads of Irish names were different north and south eg. I would say Caoimhe like cwee-va - he would say Kee-va

I also like

Niamh, Aoife, and Ciara

But they can be a pain - my sisters name is Criona - pronounced Creeona - no one ever says it right even when they know her ages. And if you are abroad with a name like siobhan or niamh loads of people will say them wrong - Darragh might be annoyed with us on this front too in the future ha ha!!

Thanks for all the ideas ladies!! We're still nowhere nearer to deciding on one!! :? So many of the names we like are already taken by other family members, OH's mam is Irish.

If baby IS a girl I shall update with the name, but do keep them coming!!! :D

soulem said:
Anyone know any Irish girls names?? The book I have doesn't have many in and OH would like an Irish name if we have a girl (got the boy name sorted!!) I like the name Isla, but apparently that's Scottish!!

Help!

Hi!

I am Irish and most of my cousins have very Irish names, so here you go:

Áine (pronounced Aunya)
Éabha (pronounced Ava)
Iseult
Muireann
Sadhbh (pronounced Sive)
Méabh (pronouned Maeve)
Eimear
Úna
Moira