Weight gain watch/healthy recipes

Sorry, I don't do any low anything recipes!! If you want any of my other recipies I'll be happy to share - maybe you could adapt them?!!

oh yes please, i'm always looking for new recipes :)

xx

Bangers in Braised Cider

Serves 4-6

Ingredients

16 Good quality sausages (3/4 per person)
400g smoked lardons or bacon
450g small shallots
2 heaped teaspoon plain flour
750ml strong dry cider
2 clove of garlic, crushed
2 bay leaf
2 rounded teaspoon freshly chopped thyme (plus a few sprigs)
2 medium Cox’s apple, cored and sliced thickly into rings (no need to peel)
a little butter
freshly milled black pepper

You’ll also need a medium flameproof casserole with a tight fitting lid

Method
Pre-heat oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. Take a large flameproof casserole and heat the oil in it and brown the sausages all round. Then, using a slotted spoon, remove them to a plate while you brown the bacon cubes and onion lightly. When they are done, sprinkle the flour to soak up the juices then gradually stir in the cider. Now pop the sausages back in, plus the garlic, bay leaf and thyme and a little seasoning. Put a lid on when it all comes to simmering point and then transfer to the oven for 30 minutes. When the 30 minutes is up, remove the lid and cook for a further 20-30 minutes.

Before serving, fry the apple rings in butter until soft and garnish the casserole with them.

Spanish Pork with Olives

(Serves 4-6 people)

2lbs (900g) Shoulder of Pork, trimmed and cubed (I have also used fillets)
2tbsp olive oil
2 medium onions, sliced
1 rounded tbsp plain flour
1 tin (400g) tinned tomatoes or 1lb fresh, peeled and chopped (I always use tinned)
6fl oz (175ml) red wine
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1tsp dried basil or 1tbsp fresh basil
1 green pepper, de-seeded and chopped (can use any colour – I prefer red)
2 oz (50g) pimento-stuffed olives, sliced
salt and pepper to taste

Pre-heat oven to 140°C, 275°F, gas mark 1.

Heat the oil in a large casserole dish, then add the cubes of pork and brown them on all sides. Cook only a few at a time and remove to a plate as they’re done. Then add the onions to the casserole and brown them for a few minutes before returning the meat the pan and sprinkling with the flour.

Stir everything well and add the chopped tomatoes. Pour in the wine, add the garlic, basil and seasoning. Stir, bring to the boil and cover with a lid.

Transfer the casserole to the centre shelf of the oven and cook for 1.5 hours. Add the chopped pepper and sliced olives, cover again, then cook for a further 30 minutes.

(I don't bother adding the olives and pepper later, I put it all in at the same time and then cook it all for 2 hours, or more!! It's also really good frozen and reheated!!)

Chicken Casserole with Herby Dumplings

For the casserole:
6 chicken breasts (1 per person)
3 tbsp plain flour
3 tbsp olive oil
3 onions – peeled and sliced
200g/8oz smoked bacon lardons
3 garlic cloves, crushed
300g/10oz large flat mushrooms, sliced
2 bay leaves
2 tbsp redcurrant sauce
3 strips pared orange zest
300ml/1/2 pint red wine
300ml/1/2pt chicken stock

For the dumplings:
100g/4oz fresh white breadcrumbs
1tbsp English mustard
140g/5oz butter cubed
2tsp thyme leaves
2 tbsp chopped parsley
2 medium eggs, lightly beaten

1 Heat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Season the chicken then coat lightly in a little of the flour. Heat the oil in a large ovenproof casserole and brown the chicken on both sides over a high heat. Remove the chicken and set aside.
2 Reduce the heat, add the onions and lardons and cook for 5-8 mins so they are golden tinged. Add the garlic then sprinkle in the plain flour and cook for 1 min, stirring to prevent sticking.
3 Add the mushrooms, bay leaves, redcurrant sauce and orange zest, then pour in the wine and stock and season. Bring to the boil, then return the chicken to the casserole, making sure it is well covered with the liquid. Put on the lid and cook in the oven for 30 mins.
4 Meanwhile prepare the dumplings. Put the flour, breadcrumbs, mustard and butter in a food processor and blitz to a crumb consistency. Add the thyme, parsley, eggs and salt and pepper. Briefly blitz until the mixture forms fairly moist dough. Using floured hands, roll the dough into 6 large even sized balls.
5 Remove the casserole from the oven after 30 mins and sit the dumplings on the tops. Cover and return to the oven for a further 20 mins, until the dumpling have puffed up.

This is a Jamie Olliver recipe but it's delicious. Warning though - this makes absolutely LOADS of Chilli so I usually half the recipe and still have 2 meals worth!! I alos left out the chickpeas and added more kidney beans as my 5 year old doesn't like chickpeas!

good old chilli con carne
main courses | serves 6
What a classic this dish is. Most of my mates love the chickpeas, but butter beans or even cubed potatoes will work well in their place. Feel free to pep up this dish with more chilli depending on your taste. This will make enough for six portions, so simply freeze the extra if you’re only cooking for four – it’s so damn good the next day, even on a jacket potato!

To make your chilli
• Peel and finely chop the onions, garlic, carrots and celery – don’t worry about the technique, just chop away until fine
• Halve the red peppers, remove the stalks and seeds and roughly chop
• Place your largest casserole-type pan on a medium high heat
• Add 2 lugs of olive oil and all your chopped vegetables
• Add the chilli powder, cumin and cinnamon with a good pinch of salt and pepper
• Stir every 30 seconds for around 7 minutes until softened and lightly coloured
• Add the drained chickpeas, drained kidney beans and the tinned tomatoes
• Add the minced beef, breaking any larger chunks up with a wooden spoon
• Fill one of the empty tomato tins with water and pour this into the pan
• Pick the coriander leaves and place them in the fridge
• Finely chop the washed stalks and stir in
• Add the balsamic vinegar and season with a good pinch of salt and pepper
• Bring to the boil and turn the heat down to a simmer with a lid slightly askew for about an hour, stirring every now and again to stop it catching

To serve your chilli
• This is fantastic served with fluffy rice
• Just divide the rice and chilli into big bowls or serve in the middle of the table and let everyone help themselves
• If you don’t fancy rice it’s equally good with a nice hunk of fresh crusty bread, over a jacket potato or with couscous
• Put a small bowl of natural yoghurt, some guacamole and a few wedges of lime on the table, and sprinkle the chilli with the coriander leaves
• I love to add a nice green salad to round it off

ingredients
• 2 medium onions
• 2 cloves of garlic
• 2 medium carrots
• 2 sticks of celery
• 2 red peppers
• olive oil
• 1 heaped teaspoon chilli powder
• 1 heaped teaspoon
• ground cumin
• 1 heaped teaspoon ground cinnamon
• sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1 x 400g tin of chickpeas
• 1 x 400g tin of red kidney beans
• 2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
• 500g good-quality minced beef
• 1 small bunch of fresh coriander
• 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
• 400g basmati rice
• 1 x 500g tub of natural yoghurt
• 1 x 230g tub of guacamole
• 1 lime

This is my one of my sons favourite meals:

Sweet Potato and Leek Soup

4 each medium carrots, sweet potatoes and leeks roughly chopped
2 large onion, roughly chopped
2 fat garlic clove, sliced
4 celery stalks, trimmed and finely chopped
3.2 litres (5 1/2 pints) vegetable stock
2 bay leaves

1 Preheat the oven to 170°C/150°C fan/gas 3. Put everything into a large flameproof casserole and bring slowly to the boil. Cover then transfer to the oven for 1.5 – 2 hours.
2 Remove the bay leaf and liquidise the soup. Season with salt and pepper.

Serve with…
A drizzle of olive oil, a dollop of crème fraiche, some vegetable crisp and a sprinkling of freshly chopped flat leaf parsley.

Time: 20mins plus 2.5hours for cooking
Serves 6

Ingredients
Boneless Pork Belly 750g, skin removed
Olive Oil
Diced Pancetta 130g
Onion, 1 large chopped
Garlic, 1-2 cloves crushed
Hot smoked paprika, 1tsp
Chorizo 200g, chopped
Tinned Chopped tomatoes, 400g (1 large tin)
Red wine 150ml
Haricot or Cannellini beans 400g (1 large tin)
Coriander leaves, one bunch

Heat oven to 160°C/fan 140°C/gas 3. Cut the belly pork into large chunks. Heat 1tbsp olive oil in a large ovenproof casserole dish and fry the pork in batches over a high heat until brown and remove with a slotted spoon. Add pancetta and cook for 2-3mins until golden. Reduce the heat and add the onion and garlic. Cook for 2-3 mins until soft. Stir in paprika and chorizo and cook for 1 min. Return pork and add tomatoes, wine and enough water to just cover the meat. Cook in the oven for 2hours covered. Add the beans and cook for a further 30 mins with no lid. Stir in chopped coriander and serve.

It says to serve in a bowl with just crusty bread but I find this so tasty that you almost need green veg, mash or new potatoes to calm the flavour a little!

I usually par-boil the potatoes otherwise some of them can be undercooked:

Family Hot Pot

4 Rashers Streaky Bacon
1 Onion, chopped
1lb Minced beef
8oz tin tomatoes
2tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1tbsp tomatoes purée
Pinch of dried mixed herbs
1tbsp of tomato sauce
Salt and pepper
¼ pint of stock
1lb potatoes
1oz melted butter

Remove the rinds off the bacon, chop and plan in a pan. Cook over a low heat until fat runs then add onion and sauté fir 5 mins. Stir in beef and cook until brown. Add tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, tomato purée, herbs, seasoning and stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20mins. Peel and slice the potatoes. Layer meat and potatoes in an ovenproof dish, making the final layer potatoes, season each layer. Brush with melted butter and cook uncovered at 180°c for about an hour.

Sausage and Tomato Bake

8 sausages (aim to have about 3/4 per adult)
2/3 large tubs of small tomatoes (cherry/baby plum/santini)
Olive oil
Balsamic vinegar
Dried oregano/Italian herbs/mixed herbs
2 cloves of garlic
2 fresh bay leaves
Few sprigs of fresh rosemary
Few sprigs of fresh thyme
Salt and Pepper

Get a large roasting tin. Put all the fresh herbs in the bottom of the tin. Empty all the tomatoes in the tin, over the herbs. Place all the sausages in between or on top of the tomatoes. Sprinkle over the 2 crushed garlic cloves, salt and pepper and a good sprinkling of dried herbs. Glug over the top a generous amount of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Cook in the oven for approximately 1 hour at around 180/200°C (or until the sausages are brown), turning the sausages half way through.

There you go pos, I hope this helps!!

DW thanks for posting all those recepies, i'll defo be trying some of them.

:)

wow :shock: that is amazing and there was me complaining after posting 1 measley recipe :oooo:

i love love love love them all!! i've just copied and pasted them into word, emailed them to myself and will be printing them at work tomorrow.

i love the family hotpot and the sausage and tomatoes! all lovely meals that you can add lots of veggies into as well!!

genuinely, that is really nice of you to take the time to post them, thank you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

wow :shock: that is amazing and there was me complaining after posting 1 measley recipe :oooo:

i love love love love them all!! i've just copied and pasted them into word, emailed them to myself and will be printing them at work tomorrow.

i love the family hotpot and the sausage and tomatoes! all lovely meals that you can add lots of veggies into as well!!

genuinely, that is really nice of you to take the time to post them, thank you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thats a good idea there, about printing them out - was wanting to keep a wee folder or something in the kitchen drawer, might pinch one from work

:wink:

Lisa 85 - I've continued exercising throughout, it's perfectly safe cos your body is used to it. You need to take it in 10 min bursts then rest for 2-5 mins keeping your heart rate at 140 or less. Exercises that move your arms and legs are best to keep your blood flowing and stop you feeling faint. Stay away from ab exercises and lying down, light weights with high reps are also ok if you did weights before. I heard about a women at the gym (a doctor) who continued to run 10k every day as until the day she gave birth! Swimming is also great so maybe try that?
Thanks.. Ive started with brisk power walking over the last few nights averaging an hour, im going to do it every night and then once im not tired from the walking im going to attemtp to mix a little jogging in too, its been 5months since i was jogging before so ill ease myself into it, i have to say though just from the walks i feel better.

I think that once i pass 24 weeks i wont worry as much either, i know its still early days but if i was to do to much and put too much pressure on my prego body at least ill know the doctors will do anything to help me.

It doesnt help that my sister is a stress head and wont even let me carry my nephew when we walk to hers and he is tired, she worries far too much, i keep telling her that when i start to feel tired or breathless i would tell him he had to walk, but she doesnt listen.

Im looking forward to the weekend now, lots of walks and im excited to try out some of the recipies that have been posted :)

x

Last edited:
I'm in! I don't have any recipes to post right now.. but I'll try to get that done too. I think just as much as recipes and tips we just need a place to air our thoughts and feelings about it all to make it easier to cope and to stay motivated and accountable.

Personally I'm worried both about gaining too much and about gaining too little. I'm worried that I'll simply not eat enough out of fear of getting too big, or that I'll just say "screw it!!" and eat junk food and sweets all day...
I'm at a healthy weight for my height and supposed to gain 25-35lbs, hoping I can get at the lower end of that..
I'm now 11.5 weeks and about 1lbs below my pre pregnancy weight. I gained a bit right in the beginning, about 3-4 lbs, but have now lost 5 with morning sickness and all! I've had weight and body issues for years and I worry I'll secretly freak out and just not eat enough..

I am considering actually counting my kcal, not to eat little, but to make sure I get enough healthy foods! When I am on diets I usually eat more than when I am not because of the types of food I eat, (and everything I can eat extra for cutting the sweets!) so I'm thinking that might actually be a good thing for me.. It could help me choose the right foods and help me make sure I eat enough of them.. and if I do that at least I know I'm eating well, so whether I gain a lot or not a lot I don't have to worry I'm eating too much or too little.. and I can put it down to water weight or whatever :p

I don't know... I only started worrying the past couple of days as my nausea is getting better, but I was still losing weight.. probably because I still have less appetite.. so yeah, I need to have someone to tell me off if I get too crazy with healthy eating and exercise and likewise if it ends up the other way around.. Right now I don't know how I will react when the lbs start piling on.. (also it doesn't help that I as some others here was at the upper end of my normal weight range (that fluctuates with about 10 lbs with my yo-yo dieting...) when I got pregnant.. so definitely not too happy about that..

I'm considering maybe saying anything with refined sugar is only allowed once a week or something like that, and beyond that eat pretty much whatever I want in whatever quantities I want, as sugar has always been the biggest problem for me.. cutting the sugar might be enough to have a healthy pregnancy weight gain.. don't know..

You're very welcome hun, I'm glad I could be of help xxx

I made a weight gain ticker! :p to make it more "fun" to gain weight, but also to have a visual of how much I should gain and to try not to go over that :p

I'm considering maybe saying anything with refined sugar is only allowed once a week or something like that, and beyond that eat pretty much whatever I want in whatever quantities I want, as sugar has always been the biggest problem for me.. cutting the sugar might be enough to have a healthy pregnancy weight gain.. don't know..

i think this sounds like a good idea, its all about replacing the sugary stuff with healthy food so we are eating enough........although eating enough doesn't seem to be a problem for me this week :oooo:

i've knicked ur ticker idea :)

xx

Last edited:
I've found I've naturally wanted to eat healthy food since the nausea stopped, i have a lot more will power knowing what I put in my body my baby also gets in the same way drinking and smoking is bad for baby I feel I don't want to pollute it with crappy processed food either. It's better motivation than any diet! Im always reading what foods are best for baby at each stage so for me just now it's brain foods like omega 3 so been looking into veggie choices for that like nuts and seeds. I've also upped my calcium compared to pre-pregnancy with fruit smoothies and yogurts, really enjoy them too!

I've found I've naturally wanted to eat healthy food since the nausea stopped, i have a lot more will power knowing what I put in my body my baby also gets in the same way drinking and smoking is bad for baby I feel I don't want to pollute it with crappy processed food either. It's better motivation than any diet! Im always reading what foods are best for baby at each stage so for me just now it's brain foods like omega 3 so been looking into veggie choices for that like nuts and seeds. I've also upped my calcium compared to pre-pregnancy with fruit smoothies and yogurts, really enjoy them too!

Me too. I've started having fresh fruit, greek yoghurt, granola and a little bit of honey for breakfast which is really delicious, very healthy and keeps me much fuller and for longer than cereal or toast.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back