Weaning premies

glass angel

Reaction score
Hi all!

The Bliss guidelines say to wean premise from 5 months, and our HV agrees. Something to do with helping them catch up with the nutrients they missed before birth. Anyway, Seb is 5 months next week, we tried some baby rice this morning but he wasn't really having any of it! Does anyone have any tips? Should I try again tomorrow or leave it a week or so?

It's disappointing that yet another thing I'd planned on has had to change, I wanted to try BLW but that's not recommended for premies (and we're still a way away from even beginning to pick things up). But weaning will be fun anyway, and the freezer is prepped with purees :)

Carrie x

No, 5 months from birth, as long as that is at least 3 months corrected and baby doesn't have any health conditions needing a special diet. I was surprised, but I've checked with a few health professionals. But probably best check with your HV too.

Carrie x

Seb has decided we'll wait til next weekend - I probably had the rice a bit thick because it, and his milk, ended up vomited down his jumper!

No, 5 months from birth, as long as that is at least 3 months corrected and baby doesn't have any health conditions needing a special diet. I was surprised, but I've checked with a few health professionals. But probably best check with your HV too.

Carrie x

My HV advised me not to wean him till 7 months.

I think I'm going to start at 6 months unless the dietician tells me otherwise x

Please excuse any typos from my fat fingers!
Tapatalk madness!

Not sure about preemies but baby rice is pretty lacking in most things, including taste!!

If you're going to started do veg purées as they're more nutritious and tadtier

I've made some pear puree, so we'll see how that goes tomorrow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back