*Weaning Tips!*

Urchin

Reaction score
YAY!
Brody will be 17 weeks old on Thursday so have decided to try him with some baby rice.

I loved weaning Mason it was so exciting. I have bought 3 little cartons of Aptimil to mix with the rice, I can't be bothered to faff about expressing, I'd rather "save" my milk for his next feed anyway.

I've made this thread so we can all share tips for weaning.

Some tips from me:

-When you buy the storage pots, buy all the same make and size. Tesco do baby food pot 4 for £1.99 so I bought 8.
This way all my lids fit all my pots and I won't be hunting around for matching ones.

- Also, I'm doing the blending veg and freezing in ice-cube trays which is a great way to prepare your own meals.

Ikea do great thick rubber ice-trays for about £1.50 which are fab for freezing small amounts of food. I've already bought 2 trays!! :shock:

I've been looking for those rubber trays...Ikea is miles away from me though :?

Abi wouldn't touch baby rice but loved the rice pudding and banana and egg custard, she also enjoyed veggies but had bad belly after any of the meals with meat in but now she'a a bit older i've been trying her again and she seems ok, but apart from banana she dont like fruit :( but loves veggies :) i make my own food now and freeze it :)

Mel had his first taste of baby rice this morning as he's 17 weeks today and has been keenly watching us eating for weeks now. He was very keen to have a go and managed a teaspoon of baby rice made up with just over a tablespoon of formula.

Sounds silly but I'm so proud :) lol!

Can't wait to try him on proper flavours. First up is pear in two days time (I'm following Gina's book of weaning where you do one food for three days in the morning then move it to the evening feed if there are no reactions)

My only tip so far is that my bumbo finally came into its own this morning as I haven't got a highchair yet and it gave me two free hands

+++

[First up is pear in two days time

I was advised to begin on veg cos some babies after eating fruit wont touch veg, Abi loves her veggies and i have just made her some fruit desserts and she loves peach and banana, she wont touch the jar fruit though apart from banana custard.

When you think about it it does make sense with the fruit being sweeter.
[/list]

Manda said:
[First up is pear in two days time

I was advised to begin on veg cos some babies after eating fruit wont touch veg, Abi loves her veggies and i have just made her some fruit desserts and she loves peach and banana, she wont touch the jar fruit though apart from banana custard.

When you think about it it does make sense with the fruit being sweeter.
[/list]

Hmm, I had wondered about this myself and my Mum said last night that me and my brother always got sore bots after fruits for the first couple of months because of the acidity. Has anyone else found this? Maybe I should start with carrot or parsnip then. When did you try her on fruit?

+++

With Mason I did carrot after about 3 days, then other veg.
In a week or so when you can give a "main course" and a "pudding" thats when I gave fruit.

Abi has been on solids for 2 months now and has just in the last 2 days started eating fruit apart from banana which she's been having for about a month, sweet potato is a brill veg most babies love it, Abi likes parsnip carrot and sweet potato mixed, i also gave her cheesy mashed potato yesterday and she loved it, i would just introduce veg for a couple of weeks then start fruit as they don't need meal and desert for a while as milk is still there main source of food/nutrients.

Jayden has been on baby rice for over a week now and today I tried her with Carrott and Parsnip today, she ate it all but I added a tiny bit of milk in it which she preferred, Annabel Karmel recommended that. She gagged a few times but I think she will get used to it. Also made up a few trays and have a few bags of carrot and parsnip and also pear cubes all bagged up. Will go to Ikea and get the rubber ones as well as the ones I bought snapped in half and hurt my hand trying to get the buggers out :? Have just bought some weaning trays from ebay as well, 10 trays for £5 odd.

Next week I'll add the pear to her feeds then start changing the lunch to potato and parsnip or broccoli and carrot and things like that. I love it. :D

I couldn't wait any more and gave Brody a little bit of baby rice today :)
I don't know if it was just a fluke but he was opening his mouth and swallowing most of it I was amazed!

:clap: yay, it's cool isn't it. Jayden was the same with rice and there's hardly no mess. Carrots and parsnip we both ended up orange though LOL. I think with baby rice it's nicer fo rthem to start with because it tastes of a thicker version of breast / formula milk. xx

Abi was the same with veggies but hated the rice although i made some food up this week and its a bit runny :wall: so i've been thickening it with baby rice and she's been eating it :D

I'm not going to bother with baby rice as my HV said it has no nutritional value so I don't see the point

Hi,

Well the carrot went down a treat this morning. We were both splatted with orange like you and Jayden Emma! So I've spent this morning steaming parsnips, carrots and some pear (I need a tiered steamer as it would have seriously cut the time!).

Anyway I have a stupid question. I've frozen the food into little cubes and plan to get the next days cubes into the little feeding pot the night before to defrost in the fridge overnight. Presumably I then have to heat it to piping hot before letting it cool again? What do you do if you're going out? Heat it through before you go out and then give it to them cold? Because heating it again would be three times? Just wondered! Ta!

+++

Rosebay said:
Anyway I have a stupid question. I've frozen the food into little cubes and plan to get the next days cubes into the little feeding pot the night before to defrost in the fridge overnight. Presumably I then have to heat it to piping hot before letting it cool again? What do you do if you're going out? Heat it through before you go out and then give it to them cold? Because heating it again would be three times? Just wondered! Ta!

+++

I wondered about this too, cheers for mentioning it Rosebay!

MMM i don't cook mine until it's piping hot as you loose nutrients i just defrost it and warm it to the right temp for Abi, i suppose if there were meat in there it would be diferent will have to check on that one. Also i keep a few jars or tins of baby food in the cuboard as i find it easier if i'm out cos you haven't got to keep it chilled or warm it up any she doesn't eat then i throw away (she doesn't leave much if any now tho :shock: )

It's easier at the start of weaning to give food cold! remember they don't know any different...banana and yogurts are excellent for when you are out and about!
If you do want to warm something up, you could take a flask with boiling water and a pot to pour it into and rest your food container on the top.

Hopoe that helps :)

I've frozen the food into little cubes and plan to get the next days cubes into the little feeding pot the night before to defrost in the fridge overnight. Presumably I then have to heat it to piping hot before letting it cool again?

I asked Hv about this today and she says you dont need to cook it until piping hot you just need to warm it to right temp for baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back