Weaning guidelines - 5 months?

clairem1980

Reaction score
I'm planning on doing BMW with my second little girl. My Hv came last week to weigh her an asked if I'm waiting for 6 months to wean? I said yes. She said if I want to wean early give details her a ring. This confused me as I thought they said wait for 6 months? Spoke to a friend today who is midwife. She said guidelines are changing again to say wean from 5 months to ensure they are exposed early to the four flavour groups? Has anyone else heard this?

I thought guidelines still say 6 months?

Obviously it depends on baby (James started having finger foods - just fruit and veg - from 5.5m) but I waited until 6m for everything else.

I am quite interested where your MW friend got her info? (I am sure it is from a good source but I'd be interested to know if this means an imminent change in current guidelines??)

xxx

She said it was to do with a study by a paed consultant dealing with eating disorders and eating problems in children. They thing exposing them to sweet sour salty and the other one (?!) earlier will lead to less eating problems?

Bitter is the last one!

Not sure how much difference a month makes to be honest and you are advised specifically not to give babies anything too sweet, salty, sour or bitter :shock: (for example little babies don't have citrus fruits when they begin to wean)

I find it fascinating though.

I think it's up to you, if you are BLW I would read the book and the book tells you the things to look out for to indicate bub is ready to wean

xxxxxx

I know Ella Def isn't ready. She can't sit up yet, her hand eye coordination isn't great yet. She us becoming interested in watching us eat but that's it. She is bigger than her sis but no more hungry do think I'll wait til nearer 6 months. Thats What I did with leah and she did great on Blw.

I've bought the book today can't wait to read it, be interesting to know if they are changing the guidelines.

Sent from my new shiny iPhone using Tapatalk

Guidelines constantly change me mam said with me it wa advised to put baby feet at the bottom of the bed and with the middle one 7 yr later is was top end then with my youngest 11 yr after me it was back to bottom aswell as weaning I just read on my Dutch July mummy group one woman was advised at 4 month cause LO HB was low and LO didn't get enough iron in.. On the Ella fruit pouches it says 4 month plus. I think it depends on the child I think slowly introducing different flavoured fruit and vegs doesn't have to mean that you wean your baby straight away.. Not before 4 month because the intestines will not be mature enough. I believe hungry babies whom early on needed stage 2 formula might wean earlier but again it depends on what the baby's needs are :)

David Victor JR. 21.40. - 19.05.'13 - 6lb 11oz /tapatalking

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back