~~~Ways to cope in labour~~~

Urchin

Reaction score
I saw this

Natural mamma said:
Keeping your hands relaxed

(allows you to open as your going with the pain not against it) a good analogy for this imagine having an injection in your bum if you tense it hurts ten times more and you bruise...and what are you hands doing???? gripping really tight.....if you relax just your hands your whole body relaxes. Easy to remember too

Breathe

Sway those hips

Go into yourself ....no distractions

:D :) 8) :wink: :angel: :moon:

monster_munch said:
* Blowing the contraction out through my mouth. Sounds stupid, but during the contraction I would breathe in through my nose and then blow out through my mouth (slowly though). It worked for me, as I had to concentrate to get it at the right speed (DH was great at letting me know if I was breathing too fast etc) plus it made my top lip go numb which felt hilarious in between contractions!

Babylicious said:
Leaning against something every time I got a contraction. Having a warm bath and staying calm

And thought it would be good to post all of our relaxation/breathing/coping techniques here in one place.

**breathe in the air as hard as you can and slowly for as long as each contraction lasts!
**have plenty of cold water and a flannel to keep your face and neck cool
**keep moving (impossible when they're strapping you to the monitor though!!)
**don't watch the clock!

It sounds silly but every time I was having a contraction I was counting the dots on my t shirt until the contraction was over. It did help to take my mind off it.

natalie&jake said:
It sounds silly but every time I was having a contraction I was counting the dots on my t shirt until the contraction was over. It did help to take my mind off it.

i agree with that.. everytime i got a contraction i started to read something... like the back of my water bottle or notices on the wall - over and over until the contraction had passed.
must have read my water bottle 100 times but i've still no idea what it said!! lol

Remind yourself with each contraction that you're one step closer to having your baby in your arms - try to think of them in a positive way, once it's over you've got one less to go through. My midwife kept repeating that to me with each one and it did help to keep me focussed and reminded me that there was an end in sight!

natalie&jake said:

Checking on ebay asap for a spotted t shirt! :D

kazlin said:
natalie&jake said:

Checking on ebay asap for a spotted t shirt! :D

It doesnt have to be a t-shirt, anything with a detailed repetative pattern would do I suppose

You could use this :D

PP05341Lime-Polka-Dots.jpg

I groaned through my contractions and I also clenched my fists then flicked all my fingers out over and over like I was pushing the contractions away. I don't know why I did that?, it was just a reaction and wasn't something I was deliberately doing but the midwife was very impressed :D

i found screaming and telling every one to shut up helped me. just found them talking irritating :rotfl:

I wil definitely add some more once I remember some - probably after having Green Bean so you could be in for a long wait :lol:

I kept singing out the telephone number from that Hastings Direct advert for some reason 0800 00 1066!! It was on the tv in the background so I just kept singing that... well, not exactly singing it, more like shouting it out...it helped me tho! Everytime I here the advert now..I chuckle! :D

Cold flannel is good - keeps you cool

Groaning out everytime I breathed out, strange but really helped me focus on what I was doing.

My mum and hubby where in the room with me... holding my hands.. listening to the banter between them both really helped.. as well as the gas and air!

paradysso said:
i found screaming and telling every one to shut up helped me. just found them talking irritating :rotfl:

:rotfl:

I'm just worried that I'll start shouting obscenities about Jeremy Kyle, The Hoff and anyone else that has irritated me over the past 9 months...muhahahaaaaa :twisted:

Just wondering is there a set number of contraction u should get before LO is here :rotfl: ?
I know stupid question I just woke up! :roll:

maldives said:
Just wondering is there a set number of contraction u should get before LO is here :rotfl: ?

Nope, I was writing mine down while at home. in the space of about 18 hours I had over 100 contractions then once in hospital another 9 hours worth (didnt record). Some very lucky ladies get a lot less than that :shakehead:

Breathing deeply through the contraction really helped.
Don't lie down like you see people doing on TV as you need gravity to help! Keep moving, all 4s etc.
It's not as bad as you think - on TV it's a lot more dramatic than in real life.

natalie&jake said:
maldives said:

Nope, I was writing mine down while at home. in the space of about 18 hours I had over 100 contractions then once in hospital another 9 hours worth (didnt record). Some very lucky ladies get a lot less than that :shakehead:
Exactly! My notes say I had a 5.5 hr labour. From the MW saying I was 9.5 cm dilated the baby came 1.5 hours later.

breathing in thro my nose out thro my mouth slowly
standing up and rocking
and telling my dad to get to the f-ing bank get the 20 thousand they want for my section i was begging them for

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back