AROMATHERAPY TIPS FOR LABOUR

littlebump

Reaction score
Hi Ladies

One of my friends got the following from an aromatherapist she knows. I thought you might find it useful: -

You will need: -
LAVENDER - pain relief especially muscular
FRANKINCENSE - calmative during labour and helps to focus
JASMINE - most valued oil in childbirth - hastens delivery by strengthening contractions yet relieving pain. After birth helps with balancing hormones and promotes flow of milk
CLARY SAGE - eases cramp in lower back, has a euphoric and uplifting quality- to be used instead of gas and air.

20ml of carrier oil or if you prefer carrier lotion. This is enough for 8 hours.

2 drops each of Lavender, Frankincense & Jasmine

Seperate bottle of Clary Sage. Put a few drops of Clary on a tissue or cotton ball to hold in your hand. Just when you think a contraction is due breathe deeply till the contraction passes.After each contraction breathe rhythmically till the next contraction is due then change to deep breathing.

Time the contractions so you can breathe deeply just prior to a contraction and through it, then change to steady breathing till the next time.

The blended oils are to be used in massage. On the onset of labour massage the lower back and right round to the lower belly, as in a girdle. There is no real telling where your pain will be the most intense. Sometimes the back, sometimes the thighs because of the nerve paths or sometimes the lower and mid stomach. You will have to go with where the pain is most intense.

I found it most effective to massage the lower back as the oils will still infuse into the body.

Obviously if you are interested in aromatherapy it's advisable to seek professional advice, but I like the idea that aromatherapy could be an effective way of relieving pain naturally!!

LBxx

There is a lot to be said for it. My friend's husband is an holistic therapist and she delivered twins naturally with no pain relief except essential oils!

Crikey - twins and absolutely no pain relief!!

I've hired a TENS machine, but I'm definitely going to look a little bit more into aromatherapy - the hospital is fine for us to take in whatever oils we want apparently - we just can't use candle oil burners (for obvious reasons!!).

LBxx

Cool- thanks for that! I actually have all of those oils in my oil box already plus some carrier oil so I shall be getting that together for my hospital bag. I used to use Clary Sage for bad period pains when I was a teenager and it was great so I can well believe that it helps with labour pains. Don't worry- I shan't be opening any of these bottles until the right time!

+++

wow thanks, i must get those oils together so i can see if it works for myself :D xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back