Waterbirth

Emmerdale

Reaction score
Hi, Went to my first parent craft class on Wednesday and they talked about pain relief during labour. One of the things mentioned was a water birth which myself and DH are seriously considering. Has anyone experienced this and can give me any advice, good or bad?

Thanks Em
x

Ive been thinking about this aswell, a bath normally helps when I get troubles down below sorry TMI lol. The only thing im worried about is the water turning blood red :? ....im scared of water and I think seeing it red would just freak me out, so im still undicided on a water birth.

Not sure if this website will help you ....

http://www.waterbirthinfo.com/menu.html

Thanks for the website will have a look. The midwife told us that you can just use the pool for the contractions and get out when the baby is ready to be delivered so you don't have to worry about the mess!!! :shock:

i always like the look of a waterbirth but i think i wouldn't be able to cope in it. Id drown myself.

budge said:
i always like the look of a waterbirth but i think i wouldn't be able to cope in it. Id drown myself.

lol... or you'd drown your OH :rotfl:

I wanted one but if you need any kind of medical intervention, eg induction etc you can't have one.....well, not round here anyway.

I got into the pool when I was in labour with Mason, and was planning to stay in for as long as poss. then get out, but the pool was that bloody uncomfortable I got out almost right away. It was square with vertical sides like a big box, so I couldn't lean back in it at all.

Good luck though...I wish I'd have been able to have one!

On our hospital tour they showed us the birthing pool at our hospital (Royal Berkshire, in Reading). They just have the one pool and you can't book it (as you don't know when you will need it), so it is on a first come first serve basis. If it is not in use and you want to use it and if they are not too busy you can use it. I got the feeling (though could be wrong) you end up being very lucky to get one, if you want one.

The midwife also said about home pool in a box kits which you can get and use if you are having a homebirth. I think the midwifes had one they could bring with them but I can't remember. Again you have the same problem of staffing levels and you may end up needing to go into the hospital if there are too many births / not enough staff.

I had a water birth and it made my day much more memorable for all the right reasons.

If you type in my name and water birth in the search engine you should come up with my birth story. it was a wonderful experience.

Hope this helps

Its fantastic.

I was daed against it as i hate water, but i got talked into getting in as i was getting tired and the MW thought the water would help me relax and take the weight off my legs. I delivered in the water and although i had to get out to have my waters broken i got back in and Isla was born in the water. The pain relief it provides is amazing, i still dont get how?!! I could relax and float between contractions and the water provided a kind of modesty shield as well. I dont remember the water turning red and didnt even think about it at the time, beleive me you wont be worrying about the colour of the pool when youre about to see your baby for the first time! I was hooked out from under the water twice as after 25 hours of labour i was so tired and kept falling alseep. The water made the actual birth so clam and we were in the light of one lamp so it was dim light too and such a lovely atmosphere as it was 11pm. I recommend it highly i never thought i would manage with no pain releif at all except water!

PS It was so good they physically had to lift me out to deliver the afterbirth as i didnt want to get out.

Heres my birth story for more info...... http://www.pregnancyforum.co.uk/forum/v ... php?t=8092

Aww she is so cute!! Well done!! I was considering a water birth for my 2nd as my 1st was VERY painful! Im actually petrified of giving birth again!
But if the water experience is how you say it is, then id be glad to have a swim!

Kellysomer you've sold it to me for next time ;)

Only thing is I plan to have a homebirth, so DH will be emptying it with a bucket after I've given birth :shock: :lol:

Thanks for your stories girls - this has really helped and has definitely made me decide to go for it, as long as the pool is available of course! I am a real water baby and could swim by about the age of 2 so the thought of being in the water is great for me!

Only have just over 7 weeks till bubba is due so will be able to let you know if I managed to have a water birth :pray:

DEFINATLY go for a water birth!
I didnt give birth in the water as i was far toooo tired and my lips went reli white and they all thought id drown in it.
It is really relaxing, but bare in mind when i was in my pool they kept interuptin me every half hour for obs, eg blood pressure and to put doppler on him!

I had a home birth and i can not believei did it :dance:
I really enjoyed it and really liked beein in labour. Ithought every contraction is closer to seein my long awaited babs!

Gd luck n plz keep us posted what u decide, gd luck :moon:

Kina said:
Kellysomer you've sold it to me for next time ;)

Only thing is I plan to have a homebirth, so DH will be emptying it with a bucket after I've given birth :shock: :lol:

haha i never thought about how you get the water out after!! haha

I wanted a water birth with Ellis but my hospital stopped using the pool at they are short staffed!! :evil: I am hoping to have a home water birth with the next. Thats if I can ever forget the pain of the first! haha xxxx

Kina, the home birthing pools I've seen advertised have a little net attached to the side so you can 'fish' bigger bits of erm...stuff out?! :oops:

All pics I've seen show the water stays pretty clear and not like the shark attack I imagined!

It doesn't appeal to me only cause I get so uncomfy sitting in water for ages, bet you'd be really wrinkly after hours :)

Supposed to be a great experience though, as recounted here. Like Urchin said, there can be so many restrictions on who gets to have a water birth, hope all you ladies who fancy it get the chance xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back