water births

skyraaa

Reaction score
hi every1

i had a mw app 2day all is fine, baby is measuring a week behind mw said not 2 worry tho

i also asked her about a water birth she said it was a nice idea, but most women dont deliver in the pool bcoz they need drugs,
she says u cant hav anythin in water not even gas n air, so that has sorta put me off lol, i thought u cud hav gas n air lol.

are any of u girlies havin a water birth

take care xx

Hey,

I would check with the hospital you are due to deliver in if they really don't allow G&A, I was told this was the only drug allowed if your in the pool at my hosp - the Royal Surrey Hospital, epidural, pethedine etc could all make you slip under the water if your too spaced out........

Call em up on the sly and ask, no harm in it.........just sounds odd, if my mw said this I would think she was trying to put me off a water birth...... :evil:

Then again I just think my Middy is a sea hag so only think bad things about her.....lol..... :rotfl:

I'm sure it prob changes from hosp to hosp too.......

I hope your MW is wrong, but even if she's right the water itself is supposed to be brill for pain......you may find you dont even need the G&A....!

C xxx

skyraaa said:
hi every1

i had a mw app 2day all is fine, baby is measuring a week behind mw said not 2 worry tho

i also asked her about a water birth she said it was a nice idea, but most women dont deliver in the pool bcoz they need drugs,
she says u cant hav anythin in water not even gas n air, so that has sorta put me off lol, i thought u cud hav gas n air lol.

are any of u girlies havin a water birth

take care xx

That's incorrect information as far as I am aware! I had a water birth (which was fab by the way) and had a few sucks on the gas and air. Because it's a nozzle, you can use it anywhere, so I don't really understand why your midwife's told you that.

In fact I gave birth IN the pool no problems?!?!? Gave up on the gas and air though, didn't do anything for me.

You can have gas & air. Lots of people on here have birthed in a pool (Valentine & Trixiepaws both did and I know there are others, such as Sherlock who did much of the birth in a pool). I am planning a home water birth and the midwifes will bring gas & air. If you do a search in new arrivals under 'water birth' you should be able to find a few - there is also a thread in 'ask a mum' about it.

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=86077

That's poppyc*ck! You can have gas and air in the pool if you wish (but its the only drug you can have, you even have to take off your tens machine, but you may find - like me - that the water is the best pain reliever you can ever have). I didn't have any drugs and I'm not the only one, its not uncommon to want a drug-free labour.

You can also deliver in the pool, in fact many women choose too as its a very hands off and anti-intervention way to deliver, the m/ws stay clear and you can deliver (and be the first ever person to touch!) your baby yourself!

I would double check those things with your midwife or ask for a second opinion as that's just plain incorrect.

Valentine Xxx

Oooh thankgoodness for that! I just read that first post and was gutted! I plan a water birth and want at least G&A! LOL

I have just this minute arrived home after going on an information session about waterbirths at my local unit, as I intend to have one this time. We were told you can have gas & air but nothing else, and this was straight from the midwife's mouth about an hour ago!!

Sorry.. Ive gate crashed.. I would love a water birth too. Preferably id like to get through it all without anything but it would be nice to have the option of gas and air if required.. Im keeping all options open. I was under the impression that it can be hard to get the pool at the hospital though which would be a shame.. Id love to hear from anyone who has had a positive exeperience with a water birth at the hospital.

Claire x

I laboured and gave birth in the pool (you have to get out to deliver the placenta) and loved it. I was offered gas and air in the pool but declined, so there is no reason why you cant have it!! :cheer:

Lying naughty midwifey :talkhand: :shakehead:

sorry to gatecrash again :oops: i just love third tri its so exiting, i try not to post in here too often :roll: im due to have a planned home water birth. firstly il be using TENS machine then later on i plan to get in the tub (you rent them free from the midwife and buy a new liner for £15) i will be using gas and air in the tub as it will be last stage and will deffo want it. i loved that stuff with my DD it made me so happy and took pretty much all my pain away :) its also good for the baby as its 50% oxygen. thats all i had in the way of pain releif before so not too worried but i would not have a water birth if i couldnt have G&A! :shock: i suppose some hospitals probably unreasonable to cover their own back but come to think of it i never really asked about that but she never mentioned a problem :think: i have my own private midwife who looks after me and baby for the whole 9mos and then delivers baby after. shes lovely. i would call the hospital and see what the rules are for the birthing tub hun :hug:

Aw i panicked a bit when i read this too, bet my midwife says the same grumpy old moo !!

Hopefully waterbirth with lots of gas n air for me too then :cheer: :cheer:

Im having a home waterbirth and they delivered my gas and air here too! Yes gas and air is allowed in the pool - sounds like she was trying to put you off perhaps?! x

Im having a water birth and i can have gas and air in the pool so i think she is telling you fibs! I could have pethadine but id have to get out of the pool and stay out for at least 4 hours if i was to have that! Im going to try and deliver baby in the pool as i think its amazing! So hopefully the pain wont be too much for me as im a wimp! lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back