water birth

lulu

Reaction score
Hi,

I would really like a water birth.

I mentioned this to my midwife a few months back and she said that she thought I would be ok to have one, the only concern was that I suffer with an 'under ative thyroid', she told me to mention it at my consultant appointment at 34 weeks.

This I did and the consultant looked at me and said she couldnt see any problems. I was worried that I would be too heavy but she said I didnt look overweight - she then looked at my notes and noticed that my BMI was 32, apparently the cut off for a water birth is either 30 BMI or 90kg. Well I weighed in at 101 kg.

I know that I do not look the weight I am and a lot of people are surprised when I tell them how much I weigh.

I mentioned this at my midwife appointment last week and she said that she didnt think I would be too heavy by looking at me and she said that she was about my weight when she was pregnant and she had a water birth.
She adviced me to mention it again at my 40 week consultant appointment as the rules were only there as a guide line and as I dont look my weight it might be ok.

I just wondered if any of you had had similar problems or experiences with water births?

:?

I wanted a water birth but was induced and so they didn't let me. (if you have any intervention then you can't, at least round here)

I tried the water tank, though, for pain relief and found it really uncomfortable. The sides were at 90 degrees to the bottom, so I couldn't lean on them to get comfy, I could only sort of crouch in there.

This time if I go for any water I will ask to ditch the pool and get in the regular bath!

You might have a great comfy bath at your hospital though so have a look at it.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back