Water Birth

keelie_b

Reaction score
i think i've decided to travel further, but go to a midwife lead birthing centre so that i can have a waterbirth.
whenever i am suffering badly from a water infection i find the water really soothes the stomach cramps and therefore think it will be beneficial for me. however to do that the water is hot. i know that it a birthing pool the water would surely have to be a lot cooler as the baby will soon be born ino it and is could be too hot for his skin.
so is the water really warm or on the tepid side? and what if it goes cool? do they add more hot water? Is the water warm enough to soothe the pain?

I'd really like to read all your advice and experiences :) thanks xx

I have wondered about birth pool tempreture too so got a bath thermometer for babies and put it in my bath, when it said it was correct for baby i got in, it was a little bit colder than i would have liked but not uncomfortable, with all my children i always had the water a tiny bit warmer than suggested as none of them liked it at the temp recomended and would cry but i found a little warmer they loved it.
Sorry gone off subject a bit there :oops:

I've had 2 home water births and think the temp had to be 37 degrees to deliver into, but you only need it at that level once baby is imminent so you can have it warmer during labour if you want I guess. To be honest, just the sensation of being in the water will help with the pain. With my youngest, the hot water ran out while filling the pool so my OH and Mum had to boil water on the cooker to get up to temperature before the birth. :roll: But even tho the water was on the cool side, the freedom of being able to float about and move easily made the contractions much easier to deal with.

Hope you manage to get your water birth - it is so amazing. I've got to go to hospital this time round cos my last baby was 10lb and got stuck at the shoulders so I'm nervous I won't get my water birth cos they only have one birthing pool there and no doubt it'll be in use when I want it. Think I'll just sit in a bath and refuse to move! :rotfl:

You can have it a bit hotter while in labour but it has to then be 37-37.5C to actually deliver baby in. Should not be colder or hotter. Meant to be body temp for LO. Its actually an ideal temp and pretty warm fwiw.

We kept my pool (homebirth) at a steady 37.5 throughout. Was fine. We had a floating thermometer in the water was all.

If in a MW led unit you'll be able to top up the water as and when. I'd not worry overly about it tbh. You probably won't be able to have it really really hot as I'd think extended time in a hot pool while in labour would not be ideal for baby. But defo it can be around 38C or a bit higher. FWIW when I have a hot bath at home it usually is only around 38-39C. More than that tends to be scalding.

I'd discuss your questions with a MW there and see what they say. Each place may have slightly different guidelines. But to deliver baby in is has to be 37C. It cannot be colder, so you'll be nice and warm.

Water is fantastic! I was in it for maybe around 18 hours (with no damage to my sensitive skin, by the way) and even though I had a back to back labour and was pushing for at least SIX of those hours, I hardly felt any pain. When my husband trickled water on my back I didn't feel the pain of the contractions at all but when I got out of the water it was very painful and I needed people to hold me up so I could walk. Even when Jacob was crowning (for about six hours also) I only knew because I touched his head. It didn't hurt at all. When I was out of the water... IT HURT! Ha. Oh and the temperature was lovely and apparently my livingroom felt like a sauna when Shaun got home 12 hours later and the temperature was still up where it should be (we had a cover).

The one problem is that because it was like a sauna, all of us (midwives, husband, myself) had horrible skin (huge pores and some lovely spots) for a while later.

it has to be kept at constant body temp 37 degrees. i thought it mightve been too hot for me as i gave birth in june, but it wasnt too warm at all. i found its more the buoyancy that helps rather than the temp of the water, that and the pressure of the water i suppose. its easier to writhe around during contractions!

I don't know about the temperature, but I had a water birth in a hospital and had gas and air as pain relief and when I moved from the bath to the pool I was pleasantly surprised and thought the pool would be really cold but it was warm.. not a lot of help really but it was a nice temperature. I think they let some out and added more hot at some point but the gas and air makes my memories hazy!! It was good anyway :D

My first was a waterbirth and it was fab, i loved it! The water is spot on for temperature, it was really lovely and cosy and relaxing, the temperature of the water is exactly body temp so that the baby moves from womb to water with no change in temp. IMO its the most natural way for a baby to be born. The MW's just topped it up every time the floating thermometer reading dropped.

Go for it, you'll love it! Just dont forget you'll look like a shrivelled prune for hours afterwards! :rotfl:

Can i quickly ask a question in this thread as its about a water birth.. the phlebotomist at the hospiltal today said to me.."dont have a water birth as it slows the labour down?!" I thought thats was a load of rubbish and it helps the labour process. Sorry to intrude.. im off now... :oops:

Claire x

nori said:
Can i quickly ask a question in this thread as its about a water birth.. the phlebotomist at the hospiltal today said to me.."dont have a water birth as it slows the labour down?!" I thought thats was a load of rubbish and it helps the labour process. Sorry to intrude.. im off now... :oops:

Claire x
Oh yes, a know all phlebotomist!

Actually, they may have a point in that I think it can slow things down if you get in too early. But normally the pool isn't needed until you are well established anyway and you are desperate for some pain relief. I always try not to have any pain relief until I absolutely need it cos I don't want the effectiveness to wear off.

So I got in the pool when the contractions were very painful and less than 5 min apart. Think I was prob about 6-7 cm dilated by then and there was no stopping things at that point! I had a 4 1/2 hour labour with my 2nd baby, 3 hours of which were in the pool and a 2 1/2 hour labour with my 3rd, 1 1/2 hours of which was in the pool. I know I'm lucky with my labours tho (touches wood for this time).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back