water births

claire2711

Reaction score
hey!

was just wondering if any of you have had experience of a water birth? this is my first baby, and there is a birthing pool in my local hosp. I really love the idea of a water birth, seems more relaxed and very nice for baby!

any comments would be super!! :cheer:

splish splash!!Xxxxxxx

i loved the water pat of my birth...unfortunatly i wasnt able to give birth in there as i had complications...

The only thing i would say is when you have to get out i found it quite painful cos your weight hits you again :( but that may be just cos of my complications...be interesting to see what others say...

but if i had another one id deffo go for water birth :D

Not had one yet, but hoping to (birthing at home also)

Water is meant to be great for pain relief as it offers support to you and bump. Also means you can be in a better position (not sitting and putting pressure on lower back etc) and can hopefully labour more easily.

Not advised for first stage labour as water can often make you too relaxed so contractions sometimes slow down. Advised for a bit later on and to actually give birth in also should you wish. Actually being born in the water (at a constant 37.5C then I am told) is less stressful for baby and they are provided with oxygen via the cord until they are brought slowly to the surface and skin on skin contact with Mum (if all is well).

Can't use water birth if you have pethidine as pain relief iirc. Nor things like a epi.

I'm really looking forward to trying water to labour and deliver in anyways :) Everything I've read and been told seems to point to it being a good way to labour.

i was in the pool for the last few cms dilating and i think it really helped coz at that stage it becomes so uncomfortable u just cant stay in one position, and the water holding u and ur bump up and supporting u is useful and its not as hard to move around. i had to get out right at the end so dont kno what its like to pop baby out under the water lol

I was in the birthing pool for pretty much all of my labour and delivery (although that was only 3 hours in total!) and I couldn't recommend it enough. I really loved it, it was so relaxing and great to have my weight supported and be able to move around so freely and I'd 100% want it again if I have another baby.

I had a full water birth and had gas and air for pain relief.. I found it good and thinking back I'm so glad I wasn't just on a hospital bed.

Here's my birth story - it's pretty long mind you but if you want to read it go ahead :D

http://www.pregnancyforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=45109

I know a few people on here have had water births but I've been offline for a month or so and I've forgotton who.. :wall:

I definately recommend it though :dance:

I wanted a water birth and would definatley go down that route again, although I didn't actually get to have one as Charlotte's heartrate was not reacting to be contractions. Why this mattered I know not, so I would just advise not to get too hung up on having one as they did seem to have quite specific rules.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back