Water Birth Experiences?

MissKW

Reaction score
After a lot of thinking I am edging towards a water birth if all goes well. From all the births I have seen online and on tv etc they look to be the most relaxed. I also love the idea of warm water to help the pain as it helped me during contractions during my last pregnancy which ended in miscarriage at 12weeks, and its always helped me with period pain etc. I also cannot stand the idea of giving birth on my back, again because with painful menstrual cramps and during the miscarriage I found it much easier on my knees.
However, there is one thing that's worrying me, and that's if I do a no2 my hubby is much more likely to see it lol! I have never let off gas around him and he thinks I'm incapable of doing a no2 as I'm very discreet about it lol, I always have been. He most likely doesn't care less, we are very close and he's not the sort to be bothered, but I would feel sooooo embarrassed knowing that he had seen that! :roll:

I would love to know your positive and negative experiences of water births! :)

omg, I just mentioned the same thing in another thread!

I haven’t but my friend did recently and found it to be a great experience. Also, no one will care if you do a poo and the MWs will whip it away quickly if you did so try not to think about it! Your OH will likely be concentrating on helping you anyway and not concentrating on the business end til baby pops out!

Amazing amazing amazing is all I can say.

I had no pain relief, the water worked magic for me. I did practice hypnobirthing alongside the waterbirth which I would also highly reccommend.

I feel like lying on your back with legs in stirrups is an outdated way of giving birth.it seems so counter intuitive to me. Being on knees or more upright makes more sense to me cuz gravity will help. I was watching one born every min and the woman was actually making it harder for herself as gravity was working against her and she almost had her hips higher than her shoulders. Was such a weird way haha it took her forever too xx

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

My baby boy came early so I had no birth plan! The delivery suite I ended up in had a large bath, which I got in to help relax me. My husband poured jugs of warm water over my tummy whenever a contraction came and I found this rather soothing! When I started to struggle with the pain, I found out that this was because I was ready to push. Too late for pain relief and too late to get me out the bath lol!! So I ended up with a water birth afterall. Overall I think it really helped me achieve a 100% natural birth. Don't worry about the poop thing!! I have no idea if I did or didn't but I'm sure your husband won't even care if you do! Best of luck - you'll be fine xxx

I had a water birth with my daughter, it was an amazing experience. I was only in the pool for 10 !united before she popped out but we got cuddle in the pool for ages. I'm hoping for a water birth this time

Don’t know if you’ve had the baby yet but I didn’t give birth in the water as during my later contractions I would cross my legs in the pool and would dunk my head under the water which I don’t think the midwives liked very much :oooo: but whilst I was in the pool I poo’d and my husband said he was surprised about it, but I couldn’t care less.

Maybe ask hubby not to tell you if you do, you don’t need to know haha.

I love pool deliveries. If you poop the midwives are expert poo catchers :)
Also, by the time any poop appears, it’s because babes head is flattening out the back passage and is imminent for delivery, wo most women couldn’t care less by that point x

I regret i did not go for waterbirth. I was already in such a pain when midwife offered me that option. I do not know why she did not offered me that earlier:-( Maybe next time

I wanted a water birth for both mine but didn't for either (first due to meuconium in waters and second because we only arrived at the hospital two minutes before she was born so there was no time to even take my trousers off let alone fill the pool!)

In regards to pooping, it's very common for women to poop in labour and the midwives are very quick and discreet and clearing it away.

I pooped both times but the Queen herself and the entire cast of Cats could have walked in and I wouldn't have cared less!

Once you're giving birth and you've had your baby you honestly won't give a shit! Excuse the pun! :)

XX

Thanks ladies! I'm still only 38 weeks so waiting impatiently but definitely opting for a pool birth if all is well!
We have 3 pool rooms at our birth centre so hopefully I will be able to have one :)

i got in the pool during my last labour but it made my contractions ease off so i got out....

I am no way near of giving birth yet but I am terrified of the thought what sort of pain that will be :(

I try to not think about it too much but sometimes I just can't help it.

Is it common here in the UK that you can just "request" to give birth in a pool? I am leaning very much toward this option as I read that this helped alot of women to cope with the pain.

Hayley yes you can request a water birth for sure here. It doesn't mean you'll get it though as it all depends on if the pools are available when you're in labour or not. If they're occupied there's nothing you can do. My hospital only has 3!

Another waterbirth fan here and I'm having a home water birth this time fx. Can't recommend it enough to be honest it helps so much with the pain. xx

Hayley yes you can request a water birth for sure here. It doesn't mean you'll get it though as it all depends on if the pools are available when you're in labour or not. If they're occupied there's nothing you can do. My hospital only has 3!

Another waterbirth fan here and I'm having a home water birth this time fx. Can't recommend it enough to be honest it helps so much with the pain. xx

Thanks for the clarification!
Oh wow...3 really doesn't sound like a lot to me. I guess I need to start to do some research as soon as I can as I would actually love to go down this route.

Sorry for the silly question but when you have a home water birth, who will be there to help you? The midwife? How does that work?

Thanks for the clarification!
Oh wow...3 really doesn't sound like a lot to me. I guess I need to start to do some research as soon as I can as I would actually love to go down this route.

Sorry for the silly question but when you have a home water birth, who will be there to help you? The midwife? How does that work?

Not silly at all. Yes I'll have 2 midwives. At least one for labour part and then there has to be 2 for the delivery. The pool I have to hire myself. Xx

Last edited:
I am no way near of giving birth yet but I am terrified of the thought what sort of pain that will be :(

Is it common here in the UK that you can just "request" to give birth in a pool? I am leaning very much toward this option as I read that this helped alot of women to cope with the pain.

I had my gorgeous little boy 6 weeks ago tomorrow (wow that's gone quick!), I sadly didn't get the water birth as the ward was so busy at the time I didn't even get a labour room at all until I was 8cm (even then they had to kick someone else out of a room to get me in as I progressed quicker), I arrived at hospital at 2cm so had to wait in a family lounge/waiting room with nothing but a sofa with no pain relief whatsoever and no choice over the matter! Luckily I did plan to try without any pain relief anyway lol.
The pain for me was not what I expected at all, mostly through my pelvis, legs and back. Yes it was the most painful thing I have ever experienced but it was a different kind of pain, one you definitely can deal with, you are made to cope with it. I was struggling but I managed just like every other woman has and would do it all over again in a heartbeat!
When I finally got into a labour room I had access to gas and that was just the most amazing thing on earth at the time lol, if you want gas and have the option I recommend using the mask, it was AMAZING and I felt nothing once that set in. I wasn't even completely sure if i was having a contraction or not and it made pushing him out a breeze. Plus its absolutely true when people say the pain stops and is forgotten as soon as they give you the baby, and it really is the most amazing experience so just try to relax and enjoy it! Your body knows what to do and you will be fine :) x

I had my gorgeous little boy 6 weeks ago tomorrow (wow that's gone quick!), I sadly didn't get the water birth as the ward was so busy at the time I didn't even get a labour room at all until I was 8cm (even then they had to kick someone else out of a room to get me in as I progressed quicker), I arrived at hospital at 2cm so had to wait in a family lounge/waiting room with nothing but a sofa with no pain relief whatsoever and no choice over the matter! Luckily I did plan to try without any pain relief anyway lol.
The pain for me was not what I expected at all, mostly through my pelvis, legs and back. Yes it was the most painful thing I have ever experienced but it was a different kind of pain, one you definitely can deal with, you are made to cope with it. I was struggling but I managed just like every other woman has and would do it all over again in a heartbeat!
When I finally got into a labour room I had access to gas and that was just the most amazing thing on earth at the time lol, if you want gas and have the option I recommend using the mask, it was AMAZING and I felt nothing once that set in. I wasn't even completely sure if i was having a contraction or not and it made pushing him out a breeze. Plus its absolutely true when people say the pain stops and is forgotten as soon as they give you the baby, and it really is the most amazing experience so just try to relax and enjoy it! Your body knows what to do and you will be fine :) x

Aaaawwww congratulations on your newborn!

May I ask...would you compare the pain to a very very bad period pain? I am trying to convince myself that this is what it feels like.

So let me get this straight...you gave birth and had only the gas mask? :oooo: I don't know what to say. I hope I can be strong as you and then 'laugh it off' right afterwards...

Aaaawwww congratulations on your newborn!

May I ask...would you compare the pain to a very very bad period pain? I am trying to convince myself that this is what it feels like.

So let me get this straight...you gave birth and had only the gas mask? :oooo: I don't know what to say. I hope I can be strong as you and then 'laugh it off' right afterwards...

Thankyou, it's the best thing in the world!
The early labour contractions felt like strange waves of back ache and period like pain that gradually got stronger, though to be honest they weren't really painful and I pretty much slept through most of it (they started at 11.30pm after I did squats and used the breast pump for a short while to try inducing labour, pumping caused tightenings and they continued and labour started so I guess that worked for me lol).
Eventually the pains completely changed and it wasn't at all how it started, it suddenly started to become painful and gradually got more and more intense until you become convinced that you can't cope any more, but you can.
Established labour for me was really bad dull back ache, it felt like lightning was shooting down my thighs constantly and the majority of the pain was in my hips. It felt like somebody grabbed my hips from the back and was pulling them back stretching them almost to breaking point and like somebody was stomping a bowling ball down through my pelvis, stretching everything internally through each contraction. I do have quite narrow hips though compared to most women, I have a more boy like figure (inverted triangle build) so I imagine that had a lot to do with it. I think everybody has different pains so please don't expect your labour to be like mine. I hardly felt any pain in my stomach at all.
Because of my build and being generally petite everybody was always saying I would need a c section as I would be too small and he would get stuck etc so I was prepared for the worst but I proved them all wrong when I had a very easy straight forward, text book birth. I managed to get away with only a tiny tear that didn't need stitches and a small graze on each side internally. Everything went pretty quickly and it wasn't half as bad as I expected. My baby was perfectly healthy, I had minimal bleeding and was sent home just hours later.
Yes I just had the gas and air at around 8cm which was a god send at the time lol. I was told drugs are highly likely to slow down labour and make your probability of needing a section higher so wanted to go as naturally as I could.
Don't listen to horror stories and just brush it off if people try to scare you like they did with me, it really isn't all that bad and it's all over before you know it and definitely is worth all the pain :)
Oh one thing I did learn though was to try going to the loo before you need to push as when the time comes pooping is completely unavoidable, you really couldn't care less at the time but I felt a bit embarrassed about it afterwards when my dear husband reminded me about it 😂!
Also I would suggest trying to eat and drink a little as early labour starts because when it gets painful it's likely you won't be able to keep anything down, I threw up 5 times and couldn't keep water down so get something for energy whilst you can :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back