Washing new baby clothes??

Laur_250

Reaction score
Hi, I've been told by alot of people that you are expected to wash all new baby clothes before baby wears them and was wondering if everyone had done this??

Its just that my friends just had a baby and her MW actually said she didnt need to and it was just that some people are overly cautious.

Just wondering if you all did and to any who didnt did you find this was ok?

Thanks!xx

I did with my first baby and didnt with my second, I think its a preference rather than a neccesity. I certainly didnt see any point to washing them. God knows they are on for a short period if time then washed anyway, :lol:

lauramumof2 said:
I did with my first baby and didnt with my second, I think its a preference rather than a neccesity. I certainly didnt see any point to washing them. God knows they are on for a short period if time then washed anyway, :lol:

This is what I was thinking, plus they are new and clean? My friend didnt in the end and she said it was Ok but just wanna hear if many others agreed so thanks. xx

I do sometimes but not all the time

I washed all the clothes and sheets in non bio before LO was born. I preferred knowing they were washed in non bio and were all fresh for him. Otherwise they have the new out of the shop smell and I don't like smelling that at the best of times.

i will be washing the clothes before i put them on baby, just like to know they are clean, i just think that they will have been hanging around since production and they never smell nice when you have just bought them

I washed all Jenna's new clothes and I still wash all her new clothes. I use fairy non-bio and fairy or comfort fabric conditioner. Then I know they are really clean - as others ahve said they could have been haging around anywhere post produtction / been tried on by other babies / handled by goodness knows how many people etc etc

New doesnt necessarily mean clean.

How many things have you bought tried on and then returnedto the shop to be bought by someone else.

Not only that but im desperate to have cute little baby clothes hanging round the house

Most of my new stuff is like babygrows in packets so cant of been tried on before?! I love the smell of new but am probably weird! Just worried the baby reacts to it and thats why it has to be washed 1st??xx

I'm pretty sure someone siad soemthing about clothes in shops having something on them to keep them from creazing or somehting like that :think:

I've washed all Tally's stuff, i like it like that, i know its all clean, and it smells SO nice, everytime i open her draw i know that everything is ready for her and washed in non-bio smelling lovely.

Like others said i just thought of all the things that get knocked on the floor etc and get mucky and i at least want her to be clean when i first get her dressed.

I'm by no means someone who'll be keeping her away from dirty and stuff, i was always left to play and get dirty, but cleaned up after lol, and i'm almost never ill, my cousins were never allowed to get dirty and they're always ill, i think its cos they wearnt exposed to it.

When she gets bigger i probably wont bother washing stuff before putting her in it but when shes tiny and not built up any defenses yet i will

i did it but only because i love the smell of fresh washed clothes.

i wear my clothes straight from the shops tho

Nope, i never did. In the 1st few weeks i kept her in vests and sleepsuits which were packet clothes anyway. I just wanted her to look like a tiny baby as long as possible.

I'm washing everything of mine. I have seen the way clothes get treated in shops- I was in Primark yesterday and the women hanging new clothes on the racks had everything on the floor and were sorting through it from there. Also, when racks get cleaned with chemicals or dusters, they don't always move the clothes and who knows what happens before they arrive at the shops! Also, a lot of clothes are "finished" with chemicals. I would rather know they are definitely clean than take my chances of giving my baby a rash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back