washing clothes

jussy

Reaction score
I know this is trivial but I wasn't sure whether I need to wash everything before the baby wears it?
I've washed a lot of newborn stuff on 40 degree wash so its ready to pack in hospital bag - some of it looks really worn already now. Not sure I want to spoil everything before he's even worn it!

Ive washed everything so far but my cousin said she didnt bother washing any of her stuff. I think its up to the individual but they advise to wash everything as its not always clean (been sitting in factories, warehouses, shops etc) I washed all mine as Ive got sensitive skin and OH has sensitive skin and excema so I thought theres a good chance that the baby could be the same and I wouldnt want to put anything on him/her that may iritate their skin

I washed everything, even the snowsuits. I think the most important things are the ones which are closest to the baby's skin. I read in a baby book to do it & my friend who is a nanny told me that she had always been told to do it, so I just washed everything that I had bought.

The book says to do it because the clothes may have dust etc on them from the store, they may have been treated with chemicals and also after washing they will be softer.

I was prob a bit OTT but both me & my DH have sensitive skin & he has mild eczema so I didn't want to take any chances as the LO might have sensitive skin too.

thanks for your comments, I'm with the same thinking really as my OH has sensitive skin too. So this is how I'll be spending my maternity leave for the next few weeks! one more Q - do you iron them? I have but I don't want people to think I'm too anal!

Im going to wash all of wee mans stuff for the same reasons as has been mentioned about where they have been lying about and also people touching them in store etc (might be thinking OTT but hey thats me lol) also I have sensitive skin so its partly incase he has as well and would just rather I knew everything was clean and ready for him. I just see it as part of preparing for him coming :)

I have to say I did first time round, but this time round I definitely won't be bothering. Lack of time mainly, but also as I took tags off a lot of things, washed them after buying them or receiving them as gifts, then they weren't worn (you get so much stuff). This meant I couldn't take them back or exchange for bigger sizes.

Valentine Xxx

Yeah, I ironed everything. I almost never iron, think it had been used about 3 times before I started sorting the baby's stuff. I actually really enjoyed doing it, made me feel like a real mum. I prob won't iron vests & sleep suits all the time, but might as well do it now while I 've got nothing better to do. xx

Hi i washed and ironed everything of the baby's too, when i was ironing i thought aww look at that how pretty it is aww look how small it is etc :D

valentine said:
I have to say I did first time round, but this time round I definitely won't be bothering. Lack of time mainly, but also as I took tags off a lot of things, washed them after buying them or receiving them as gifts, then they weren't worn (you get so much stuff). This meant I couldn't take them back or exchange for bigger sizes.

Valentine Xxx

I was thinking this too. I mean, I'd like to take off the tags and wash them all but I worry that if he/she is a heffer then I'd like to be able to take back the small stuff and exchange for 0-3 months... Or am I just being tight? :lol:

It is recomended to wash everything that will come in to contact with babies skin including bedding ect. Whilst Dylan was in hospital after birth his skin was very blotchy and irritated. i eventually worked out that if i put him in the blanket i'd bought from home that was washed in non bio, he was fine but just 10 mins in the hospitals blanket caused his skin to flare so the chemicals were deffinately too strong for his delicate skin.
But if you are washing things that are brand new you could do it on a cooler wash than 40 as its only to rinse of any dust and neutralise the stronger chemicals. That way they wouldnt look worn out quite so quick.

I've washed most of the stuff we've bought so far. I'm planning to do the rest over the next few weeks. Like others have mentioned, my partner and I both have sensitive skin so that's a concern and I also see it as part and parcel of the preparation. It makes me feel all mushy inside getting the little one's things out and washing and folding them all nice :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back