Waiting for amnio

inky

Reaction score
I'm fed up of waiting and I've only been waiting 2 days! Still 2 weeks to go. Two weeks until I have the amnio and then another week to find out if anything is wrong. The odds are greatly in my favour but there's that horrible niggling doubt that just won't shut up!!

Anyone else here had an amnio? Any advice? What were your results?

Sorry can't give any advice but didn't want to read and run, hope it hurries for you xx

My mum had an amnio with my youngest sister i was maybe 15 so can remember very well. My sister born before her had Downs so my mum had it. It went completely fine and my sister was born no health issues. My mum felt very guilty afterwards though and still feels guilty now as everything was fine and there were a lot of risks. but at the time it was the best option and really lifted her anxiety about the pregnancy. Did you have a rapid test ir full karyotype test? My mum had a full karyotype, so results took i think like 3 weeks. It tested all the chromosomes really and was able to flag up anything not just downs and other key chromosomal abnormalities. She had an appointment and they showed her my sisters genes pretty much (also able to say gender for definite). They were very good they talked her through it all. I think for rapid test they just tell you yes or no wether baby has the three main conditions (im almost sure its three) but you get results pretty quickly, maybe a week or so.

Hope this helped somewhat.

Last edited:
Thank you, everything helps! I've been told I can have the full karyotype done within 2-3 weeks but they will tell me the outcome for trisomies 13, 18 and 21 in around a week, maybe sooner. I understand the feeling of guilt. Regardless of anything that might be wrong, my biggest fear is that I miscarry, only to be told that baby was fine. It's a horrible decision to have to make :(

I had an Amnio done last year. I was given a 1 in 5 chance of abnormality. Unfortunately for us it was confirmed and we decided to go on to have a termination. Hardest decision ever, but totally the right thing at the time.

It didn't hurt and didn't seem to have an affect on the pregnancy. I am pregnant again, with twins, only 9.5 weeks and this feels like the longest wait in the world for results (we haven't even had any tests yet!) but based on last time we def want to get tested again. I would go on to have Amnio if we show as high risk.

I chose to have the harmony test rather than amnio. If the idea of an amnio bothers you have you thought of that option?

I'm sorry to hear that CharlieSmartie, thank you for sharing, and big congratulations - twins! Amazing :)

BunnyN - I did consider the harmony test but it was just too expensive, saying that though I keep coming back to it in my mind, but then yet another little voice tells me that an amnio would give me a definitive answer. I know the Harmony is super accurate but I'd still spend the rest of my pregnancy stressing out, which is no good for anyone! I may yet change my mind though. I've felt differently about the whole situation in general every day really x

I had the Harmony done, that confirmed high risk so had to have the Amnio to find out for sure.

We are already booked in for the Harmony next week (10.5 weeks). If that is low risk we won't do anything else, if high risk we will go on for cvs or Amnio. I always would want to know for definite as we would want to act on the results so it has to be correct beyond all doubt.

Only just read this thread good luck with your test it must be a horrible time for you at the moment x

I had an amnio a few years ago, my daughter had trisomy 18.
It didnt hurt at all, literally was just like taking a blood test with slightly more pressure.
the size of what they use was a bit daunting, best not to look.
I rested completely as advised.

I had an amnio at 35 weeks or so just to test lung maturity. I was told it wasn't painful, but it was was highly unpleasant and I agree that it is best not to look.

Well I wasn't expecting it to be pleasant NBKM3, but thanks for your input!

Robyner I'm sorry to hear about your daughter, thank you for sharing. I won't look x

Hi Inky
I just wanted to reassure you
I had it done with my third pregnancy and it wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. I agree best to look away but that for me is the same with any injection. I found it no different to having blood taken from a physical perspective - emotionally of course its different.
Be reassured you will be in excellent hands and the probability is your results will be positive and all will be well.
I had no after effects and the procedure didn't effect the pregnancy - I just ensured I rested afterwards .
The brilliance about this test in contrast to Harmony is you get a full chromosome report so all areas are covered for reassurance.
I know how you feel its a difficult time when you just want to celebrate making it to 12 weeks - it is an awful waiting time and you just want it over. I will be thinking of you and sending positive thoughts for a positive outcome. H x

Hi Inky
I just wanted to reassure you
I had it done with my third pregnancy and it wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. I agree best to look away but that for me is the same with any injection. I found it no different to having blood taken from a physical perspective - emotionally of course its different.
Be reassured you will be in excellent hands and the probability is your results will be positive and all will be well.
I had no after effects and the procedure didn't effect the pregnancy - I just ensured I rested afterwards .
The brilliance about this test in contrast to Harmony is you get a full chromosome report so all areas are covered for reassurance.
I know how you feel its a difficult time when you just want to celebrate making it to 12 weeks - it is an awful waiting time and you just want it over. I will be thinking of you and sending positive thoughts for a positive outcome. H x

Thank you for this, just what I needed to hear! X

Thinking of you today. Hope all goes okay and you get everything cleared up xxxx

Thinking of you today Inky xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back