Viral Infection with severe rash

haych86

Reaction score
Hey,

My 9 month old has been very ill over the last 5 days, It started on friday with him going off his food, not drinking water, having a very high temp of 39+ and generally clingy and upset.

Over the weekend he got worse and by Monday I decided to make an appointment at the doctors. Around 2 hours before his appointment time I went into check on my very sleepy boy and he had a rash starting behind his ears and on his neck. Then by the time we left for the doctors appointment I feared he had measles as the rash was exactly the same and was spreading fast.

Doctors said he just has a viral infection but I have to attend daily for them to examine him. I went today and because the rash has spread more and become painful to touch and itchy I have to keep a close eye on him. He is still refusing water/milk/food and I have to really force him where usually he would drink/eat ANYTHING you offer him.

He looks terrible the rash is so horrible and even picking him up he screams in pain. He hated his bath (which I tried cool/warm) neither was liked and he screamed when water touched his body. But at the same time he wants to be held then cries when I do.

I don't know how to help him but docs are seeing him daily which is reassuring.

Ha anyone had anything like this before ... the rash looks EXACTLY like the measles rash but is raised and bumpy to touch it is all over his body head to toe.

Just want my poorly boy to be better :(

Goodness how awful for you both, I dont have any experience of this Im sorry but couldnt read and run. I hope that he is over the worse and he starts to pick up now x

Charley had gastroentitus when he was 4 months old. He wouldn't drink any milk, only wanted to sleep and was constantly throwing up. He also had a rash all over his body but the doctors said it was viral and showing his body fighting off the infection. In the end Charley was admitted to hospital for 36 hours and put on an iv drip due to dehydration and i had to feed him little and often. He slowly got better but it did take a couple of weeks to fully get back to normal.
I really hope Alfie's better soon x x

Charley had gastroentitus when he was 4 months old. He wouldn't drink any milk, only wanted to sleep and was constantly throwing up. He also had a rash all over his body but the doctors said it was viral and showing his body fighting off the infection. In the end Charley was admitted to hospital for 36 hours and put on an iv drip due to dehydration and i had to feed him little and often. He slowly got better but it did take a couple of weeks to fully get back to normal.
I really hope Alfie's better soon x x

Glad he's ok hun. Sorry to hear he ended up in hospital. Hope Alfie doesnt get that far. what other symptoms were there if any?

I thought he had sereve reflux as he was throwing up every feed, kept taking him to the doctors and they were brushing it off then the day it all happened he suddenly went floppy, wouldn't take his milk, the rash appeared, i phoned the doctors and again they brushed it off so i took him straight to a&e and they admitted him straight away with the dehydration through lack of milk.
The symptoms were only the rash, throwing up, lack of intrest in food and being lathargic but it was so scary. When we got discharged they told us to go straight to the doctors to get some reflux meds but the doctor brushed it off again saying he was prob just teething! I was so angry and haven't been back to the doc's since and won't unless its an emergency!

I thought he had sereve reflux as he was throwing up every feed, kept taking him to the doctors and they were brushing it off then the day it all happened he suddenly went floppy, wouldn't take his milk, the rash appeared, i phoned the doctors and again they brushed it off so i took him straight to a&e and they admitted him straight away with the dehydration through lack of milk.
The symptoms were only the rash, throwing up, lack of intrest in food and being lathargic but it was so scary. When we got discharged they told us to go straight to the doctors to get some reflux meds but the doctor brushed it off again saying he was prob just teething! I was so angry and haven't been back to the doc's since and won't unless its an emergency!

My son actually has Reflux (GERD) so I know with him this wasn't normal behavior because he generally drinks well but the milk comes back. But drinks water really well usually as well. I can't fault the fact the docs are seeing him daily as that is reassuring but to not know the cause is worrying. I hope he sorts himself out soon. The rash being painful to touch now is what has started worrying me more.

I dont blame you for being like you are with docs if that's how they treated you

This does sound like measles, as it has started behind his ears. Is the rash changing colour- from red to more brown?
x

This does sound like measles, as it has started behind his ears. Is the rash changing colour- from red to more brown?
x

hey hun it was confirmed as a viral rash and went 5 days after it first appeared I wouldnt say it went brown but more a darker shade of red.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back