very looong cycles :( please help

Petra

Reaction score
Hi girls, I wonder if anyone could advise. I am having rediciously long cycles... up to 6 months..I fell pregnant in September but had mc in October at 5 weeks. I haven't had a period since and get BFN :cry:
I went to the gynae last week as they thought that PCOS is cause of my long cycles.. They said I am perfectly well.. :dance: .. but were unable tell me yet what causes those long cycles. Does anyone else have it? Do you use any medication? When I go next to gynae what to ask for??? please any advise is appreciated :hug:

Hi Petra :wave:

I have suspected PCOS but they have been unable to confirm 100% that its the cause of my irregular periods. I too can go for 6 months without AF!

Have they done any tests/investigations yet? When i 1st went to my GP, he did some blood tests (which pointed at the only explanation being PCOS), he then reered me to the hospital so they could do a scan. I had an ultrasound scan which showed no cysts, so the hospital concluded that there was nothing wrong with me! I was then refered to the fertility consultant at the same hospital. I had more blood tests, a HSG to check my tubes weren't blocked, and even more blood tests. The consultant decided PCOS was definately what it must be from my blood tests. This was also confirmed during my 1st IVF due to my response to the drugs. OMG that was a bit long winded.......sorry!!! :oops:

The consultant said that it is easily controlled, and that clomid will help with TTC. However we then found out that my husband has a low sperm count so clomid was not an option, and we had to go straight to IVF. They will usually want to check your partner before any treatment is given.

Your hormones could also still be all over the place at the moment due to your miscarriage. If you do want an AF, your GP can prescribe Noresthisterone which you take or about 5-7 days and you get a period about 4 days later.

Good luck, let me know how you get on. :hug:

Michelle x

Hi Michelle :wave:
many thanks for your reply. I can see that you have gone through a lot yourself.. Sorry to hear you have to go the IVF route... hopefully you will get your BFP very soon.. :pray: ing for you ..

They have only done my blood test once about a month before I fell pregnant. It apparently suggested PCOS. My GP ( a very considerate lady) said that it is waste of time to keep trying for a year and find out that I can not conceive naturally. She has therefore referred me to the Gynae Endocrine and Assisted Conception Unit. ( this was back in September). However, I fell pregnant within weeks but unfortunatelly miscarried at 5 weeks. My appointment came through and I went to Gynae last week. Apparently I have no cysts and as we conceived within 3 months of trying I was said that it's only matter of time and I will be pregnant naturally very soon. The doctor blamed hormonal imbalance for my irrelagular AF but said that I have to wait for the appointment to the ACU where they can investigate further.. Oh God, I am so impatient, have to wait until 18th Feb... still wondering if I should go to GP and ask for Noresthisterone as you suggest... I think I will make appointment and get my GP's opinion on it.

I will let you know when I have some news.. I will also keep an eye on your posts ( come on BFP)

Petra x :hug:

You sound very much like me......blood tests say PCOS but scan shows no cysts!!

I hope it happens for you naturally again very soon. :hug:

Keep in touch,
Michelle

Hiya, I just want to share this with you because I have been lucky enough to get pregnant, so it shows there is some hope. I have PCOs, as well. I went undiagnosed for years until I found the right GP to explain what my symptoms meant, and then I went regularly to an endocrine unit. I wasn't planning on children at that time, so I was put on Dianette to encourage a monthly bleed, even though it wasn't true ovulation, and to help get my hormones under control and fix my bad skin.

I had A LOT of cysts and my blood levels were extremely abnormal. After a while I decided on my own to come off Dianette, and see what happened. My blood levels shot right back up again, so I went back on. In the past year, I came off it again because I was getting migraines and I wanted to see if that was causing them (it wasn't, by the way). I stayed off it anyway, and never had a period. Okay, I think I had one in a year. I had to move and was about to go to my new GP to see if I could see someone else to see what could be done when I found out I was pregnant! My husband and I were very lucky because we were only trying for maybe three months. We didn't think it would be at all possible, and it turned out to be easy. So, it is possible that it will happen for you. It sounds like you are in a better position than we were, because I had a lot of cysts and very bad levels, which meant there was no doubt it was PCOs.

Good luck to you and I hope it works out similarly!

Hi Moss :wave: , many thanks for your reply. Congratulations on your pregnancy. Hope all goes well for you :hug: :hug: :hug:
Your post is very encouraging. I hope to be as lucky as you.
Take care. Petra

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back