Very confused about scans...please help.

bapesta

Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm new here and it's my first pregnancy and I'm very nervous about it. I'm about 8 weeks gone.

I guess the reason why I'm nervous (and worried) is because I don't know exactly what kind of antenatal care I will be getting. I've gone to see my GP, who wasn't exactly forthcoming with information or anything - in fact he didn't even seem to care. I just want to make sure that there is actually a baby growing inside me and not just me imagining it! So I've done 4 tests and they're all positive, but I'm not getting any other preg symptoms other than a missed period and sore boobs.

Anyway my GP has told me that he's referred me to my local hospital and now it's up to the hospital to write me a letter to advise me of my appointment date. I called the hospital yesterday to ask them and they said that my first appt will be at 12 weeks and as I'm only 8 weeks I'll have to wait for the letter. Then she said that the 2nd scan will be at 20 weeks. Is this correct information? She didn't seem sure at all. Is it normal procedure to wait for the hospital to advise an appt date? Am I only allowed 2 scans?

I'm here in the UK alone with my husband (we're Aussies) and I've got no friends who are pregnant here to compare notes with (other than some girls at work, but I don't want to tell work yet), so I'll be grateful for any advice from you ladies.

TIA

Hi Tia,
Welcome to the forum, and many congratulations on your pregnancy.
It is absolutely normal to feel nervous & apprehensive about these things and unfortunately you will seem a little lost about things until you get your booking in appointment....but you've found us so hopefully us girls can all help you with anything you need.
You will get a letter usually a week or two before your scan from the hospital, you get your first 'dating' scan at 12 weeks. They will measure the foetus and then give you your EDD (Estimated Due Date) based on this measurement. You may have an idea of your due date based on your LMP (Last Menstrual Period) but this can change following your first scan.
You will have your 2nd scan at 20 weeks, this will either be booked in after your 12 weeks scan (mine was but I might be in a different area) or they will send you a letter again. If you want to find out the sex of the baby, this is the time to ask, 12 week scan is too early for that.
You will have more appointments for the midwife to monitor you & baby throughout the pregnancy (blood tests/ blood pressure, urine tests etc) but you only get 2 scans on NHS, any other scans you would have to pay to have done privately.
Also something to note:
You will need a full bladder for your 12 week scan, so drink a couple of glasses of water before you go, or even better, take a bottle of water with you.....as if they are running late you will be dying for a pee (mine was an hour late & I was on the verge of wetting myself when she pushed the probe thing onto my tummy :oops: )
You will need to take a urine sample to every midwife appointment for them to test.
Wishing you a happy & healthy 9 months :D

Hi there! I went through more or less the same things as you when I first found out I was pregnant. I went to the GP, but no cofirmatory tests were done, she just said she would refer me to the hospital where the midwives will take over my antenatal care. After about 2 weeks, I still hadn't heard anything, so I phoned up the hospital to enquire what was happening. Turns out they hadn't received the referral. After that, I was telephoned by a midwife, who said she would come round for a home visit, this was about week 8 of my pregnancy, and then I didn't see the midwife again until week 16. Again, the midwife didn't confirm the pregnancy, so it wasn't until my 1st scan that I was absolutely sure that I was pregnant.The midwife took some blood samples and urine sample to check for various things.

Usually on the NHS, you are only offered 2 scans, one at 12 weeks and another at 20 weeks. However, sometimes you may get more if they need to do further checks.

The timetable of care that you will receive can vary from area to area. Here's mine to give you an idea of what's involved:

Week 12 - Ultrasound scan + 1st integrated test (to test for Down's syndrome)
Week 15 - 2nd integrated test
Week 16 - Antenatal check-up (mine was with GP)
Week 20 - Scan
Week 22 - Antenatal check-up (mine was with GP)
Week 28 - Antenatal check-up with midwife
Week 31 - Antenatal check-up with midwife
Week 34 - Antenatal check-up with midwife
Week 36 - Antenatal check-up with midwife

Hope this helps.

bapesta I am exactly the same.
I found out when I was 6 weeks, I went to the doctor and she said you will hear from the hospital.
So last week I had a letter to say my scan is next week (I will be 13 weeks gone), then a few days later I had a letter to say the midwife was coming to my house (she came on monday, I am 12 weeks).
So I had to wait 6 weeks before I saw anyone or heard anything!! :wall:
Other than that I had no real signs, no one has actually confirmed anything. No one has even looked at my tummy.
Since I have seen the midwife I am more relaxed.
Everything you said is perfectly normal, oh and i also did 4 tests :lol: You need to try and relax and enjoy your time, its no good for the baby to be so stressed!!!!
Please feel free to contact me anytime if you want to mail!!!!!
xxxxx :hug:

yep, 2 scans only. I lived in Belgium for 10 years and they scan you every month there.

It all depends on the area you live in. We only get 1 scan at 12 weeks in West Lothian. xx

congrats on your pregnancy.

with my first i visited the doctor for confirmation then refered to midwife.
she came around my house and estimated me at 8 weeks goin by my last menstrul.
i was booked in for a scan at 12 weeks for mesurment and an EDD.
also had to take a urine sample to check for protein in your wee (can be dangerous if you got to much)
then every 3-4 weeks i visited my midwife at the clinic (just to check everythings going fine, you also get to hear your babys heartbeat)
then a 20 week scan when u can find out the sex of the baby.
then bk to the clinic.
i was small so i had another scan to check if baby was growin, she was just i tucked her away lol.
then i was a week overdue, so i was referred to the hospital.

but every place is different.

Thank you so much to every single one of you for being so helpful!!

You guys have relieved a lot of stress from me! It's no good for growing bub, so I'll try not to be stressed!!

Oopsydaisy, I think I will call the hospital again to see if they have received the referral from my doctor, if I don't hear anything by the end of next week.

Leeste16 - I don't know why GPs can't give us expectant mums an info pack or something at the 1st appt to tell you exactly what to expect...that way it relieves stress and tells us exactly what to expect at each stage of the pregnancy.

THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE!

I agree, they say the first 12 weeks are the most important. I only saw my midwife when I was 12 weeks So i was given no info. Thank god for the internet thats all i can say!!!
xxx

that sounds normal to me hun. i saw my gp to confirm pregnancy and was referred to see a midwife at 11 weeks, who gave me a date for my first scan at 13 weeks. there are usually only 2 scans- one at around 12 weeks for dating, then one at 20 weeks for anomaly checks. u should get ur blood tests at around 16 weeks and see a midwife once a month until third trimester, then its every 2 weeks until 36 weeks, when its every week. that was how it was for me anyway. hope that helps xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back