Variety or stick to the same?

CARNAT22

Reaction score
Sorry for another thread (I have a feeling there will be a lot from me!!)

James is just having a taster in the afternoon.

Is it best to offer him something different everyday or stick to the same thing for a few days?

I don't want to overload him with tastes and textures but I don't want him to get bored?

xxxxxxxx

I know that you are advised to give the same thing for 4 days if there is any history of allergies in the family, and this way is long enough to show a reaction if they have one (apparently anyway).

I think I read that now they don't say you need this approach if family history is clear and can give new foods on subsequent days.

I don't think you need to worry about overloading his senses, he is about 5.5 months now isn't he? The older they get the quicker you can progress really.

So it's your choice really. Once you have introduced a couple of foods you can rotate them and only give one new food every few days iykwim which is what I do xx

I find Freya eats better if she has the same thing for a few days. They say it can take around 10 spoonfuls for babies to get used to a taste, so whenever I give her something new i get the "that is disgusting" face, even though she carries on eating it!
the next day is usually better, she screws up her face for the first few spoons then is ok again.

tip for yoghurts when you start giving them, leave them out of the fridge for a while before giving them! I think they were too cold for freya, but when I leave them on the side for an hour first, she scoffs the lot!

I have to take my own yoghurts out of the fridge Lynds as I can't eat them cold (and I eat Petite Filous LOL)

We tried porridge this morning, just two spoons as he seemed hungry not that long after a bottle? Seemed to do the trick as he is napping now. He didn't even eat it all, maybe 2/3 of it?

We'll try banana again later if he is in the mood?

We also have some broccoli to try in next few days.

xxxxxxx

Last edited:
My HV told me the new advice isnt to wait 3 days after everyfood anymore, its outdated unless allergies run in the family. I didnt do this atall with my lg, just offer as much variety as pos, there much more adaptable to things at that age x

I've offered the same fruit/veg over the past week and do far the favourite is sweet potato, carrot and asparagus! She loves asparagus!
I've offered porridge in the morning about an hour after her morning feed with fruit (banana today) then at dinner I've put down 2 veg for her to try. Ill stick to one for a few days and add a different one the next day so carrot and broccoli one day then carrot and asparagus, then drop the carrot and had sweet potato with asparagus etc :) x

I offered one new food every 3 days. The he hit 6 months and I just gave him everything :-/ xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back