Unhelpful GP

Wellyboots

Reaction score
Hi all, I am new and introduced myself on the TTC thread, though I probably belong here as I am ttc No 2. We have been trying for 15 months now with no luck so approached our gp for help who basically told us we didn't qualify for help as we already had a child. Just wondered if anyone else had come up against this.

I am now thinking of going down the private route and wondered if anyone else had done this and had any advice?

Many thanks

Welly

Not had this myself (yet) but a friend of mine was told she doesn't qualify for intervention cos her OH has children even though she doesn't. They are reviewing fertility help though so maybe write and complain to your PCT?

Hope you don't end up needing the help and fall naturally though! :hug: xxxxxxx

Regardless if you have a child or not they should still allow you to have the routine tests done to determine if there is something wrong, the only treatment generally that you wont be allowed is IVF, so I would go back and see a different doctor hun xx

Your entitled to help. You can have routine tests etc.

We had secondary infertility and were referred to a fertility clinic. I had bloods, ov tests, scans of ovaries, HSG and was about to get clomid. OH had a sperm test too.
The only thing we were told we weren't entitled to was IVF/IUI as we had children already.

Keep pushing for a referral. I had a lovely GP but to be referred I had 3 appointments in about 3 weeks with her to keep things moving!

Lots of luck. x

Hello , welcome to this section - I agree with the ladies, push for more tests, secondary fertility issues can affect everyone with kids at some point, my sister ttc for 5 years after her daughter before going for private ivf which worked on cycle 2 and she had a son, but 2 years later she had another natural son, so there was prob another problem or issue she could have been helped with when ttc. Be a pest for your docs to get you some answers or at least rule out some things and yourll feel like your actually moving somewhere with it - let us know how you get on

Hello,

I am in exactly the same boat, being trying for number 2 for over 2 years now. It took a lot of courage to go to the doctors, who told me to relax!! Yeah, thanks for that mate... He must have felt bad though, because after saying he couldn't do anything, he called me back in to say I was in fact entitled to a blood test, which showed nothing was wrong. Be pedantic and I am sure they will refer you eventually. Its crap that we have to almost beg for the help. Hope you get somewhere with it xx

omg what a nasty doctor u have ppffttt i have 6 children and had 2 mmcs this past yr and i have just been to docs recently and he gave me asprin and high dose folic acid and said if nothing has happened in 9 months come bk and wel see what we can do next and im 39 will be 40 in september, go bk to another doc and oush for routine tests gd luck xx

im about to do this myself.tired of the snails pace dr's take to do things although i suspect they will blanket refuse until the date clicks on to trying for 12 months and day but for me the clock is ticking and time is getting on and i dont like being told i need to wait without a very good reason especially when you suspect something is going undiagnosed.

get pushy.Come Monday morning,its what i intend to do,though my gp has been great but is leaving and the others are less than enthusiastic about me ttc again for reasons i cant fathom.

Last edited:
Our GP gave us Blood tests and sperm analysis, I'm not sure what other help we would have been given being as I fell naturally. Obviously as we were refered to fertility clinic for help, I'm guessing we would at least have had something. Perhaps it's different for every health authority, and like many other things, may even be different as I'm in Wales

I was also told when i went to see my doc that i wasnt entitled to ivf or iui as i have a 9 year old boy from a previous relationship. My partner has no children.

After 2 and a half years we have olnly just been given clomid after my progesterone result came back a little on the low side. All other tests including 2 sperm tests have come back normal. So the problem lays with me.

I feel so guilty for not being able to give me fella a biological child, although she does see my son as his own, he never got to see scans, watch my bump grow etc etc. I am considering complaining to the pct...how far this will get me i dont know but its worth a try. I dont want to jump straight in with IVF just a shot at iui would make me happy.

Paying all that money to go private is a scary scary thought, but i'll do it if it means i'll give my fella his own.

I've taken over your thread with my ramblings, sorry, i would keep pushing at your docs hunny, child or no children every1 in entilited to the tests.....just the treatment is limited x x x

thankfully i have not come across this, been trying for over 18mnths now and last sept my gp refered me to the gynae consultant, had all my tests done and my husband tested too and now on meds. You should be entitled to that at the very least.

hope this doesnt keep happening

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back