Underwired bras?

petchy

Reaction score
just wondered, you hear that you're not supposed to wear underwired bras when you are pregnant as it can damage the milk ducts - do any of you know if this is important throughout the entire pregnancy or just in the last 2 trimesters? i'm only 5w2d and it seems such a waste to buy new bras when my boobs aren't even bigger yet, only to have to buy another lot (or two) later on as i get bigger.

Hiya Petchy,
I can't say I have heard of this, I think so long as you have a correctly fitting bra that fits comfortably it shouldnt be a problem. I know for me personally as my bump is getting bigger and pushing up into my ribcage I would find an underwired bra rather uncomfortable. If your bra is too tight, which you can normally tell cause it looks like the back has ridden up to high, that can cause damage to your breast anyway. your actual milk ducts are positioned behind your breast tissue so I would find it highly unlikly that underwiring would affect anything adversley. its more a comfort thing, especialy if you have a large chest.

oh that's ok then - it's just that it says in all the books/mags i have been reading! i never liked non-wired bras as they don't feel supportive enough, so i'm glad to read your thoughts on it!! :D

Here's a few bits from various web sites:

Proper fit is the most important factor to consider whether you prefer underwire or softcup styling. Underwire styles currently account for about one-half of all our nursing bra sales. With underwire maternity/nursing bras, it is especially important to obtain a proper fit, so the wire doesn't put any pressure on the breast tissue. Wearing an underwire bra while sleeping is not recommended. To prevent mastitis or clogged milk ducts, proper fit is critical regardless of whether you’re wearing a softcup or underwire nursing bra.
•Nursing bras should fit comfortably. Bras that are too tight can leave you vulnerable to plugged ducts and breast infections in the parts of the breast where straps or underwires block the flow of milk.
•Avoid underwires, especially in the early postpartum weeks. If you do choose an underwire bra, be very particular about the fit. The breast's milk-producing tissue extends all the way back to your rib cage and up into your armpit. An underwire may obstruct the milk ducts in this area--besides poking and annoying you. (Underwire bras can be miserable to wear during pregnancy. The wires dig into your upward-expanding abdomen whenever you sit down.)

Avoid an underwire bra style while pregnant and breastfeeding. Since your breasts and rib cage typically increase in size and fullness, a wire doesn't expand and often becomes constrictive. Constriction of your breast tissue and rib cage can lead to an unhealthy fluid stasis, possible infection and overall discomfort. With the many aches and pains of pregnancy, don't let your bra be one of them!

thanks! that's really useful you guys!

My underwired bras are far too uncomfortable to wear and have been for about the past 5 weeks, so far my boobs have gone up a cup size. I bought a cheapy sports bra from Primark for £4 and it is sooooooo comfortable.

I'm still early days but have given up totally in the last couple of days wearing my old underwired bra's. My auntie was repeatedly told not to wear hers during pregnancy as they can block milk ducts if they are too tight or don't fit properly. As I'm 19 my usual bra would generally be a t-shirt bra, but this is out the question now - I have already gone up nearly 2 cup sizes :shock:

I guess it's preference and how comfortable you are. I couldn't wear a 'normal' underwired bra now, I bought a cheap non wired bra from BHS for a fiver just to last me and bought one the size up for when they grow (as they still are!) It's worth wearing one to bed if your boobs ache so much I find. Helps take the pressure off when you lay on your side and boobs seem to 'drop'!! :lol:

HTH xx

I don't know I just wear the bras I've been wearing....but had to make it more loose because getting bigger in the bust, my husband even noticed before I did.

men - they're great at doing that! Yah my back size is getting bigger, I was a 32 but they are getting too tight so I'm into 34's now. Hoping OH don't notice anything else!!! :oops:

I know leave it to the men to notice our boobs, butts, and whatever else getting bigger! lol

he said to me yesterday that my legs and arms look thinner (I've lost weight since being preg somehow!) but that my middle looked 'thicker' :evil: cheeky git lol

Im decided to do things in the cheap, instead of buying maternety brsa then later buying nursing bras, I have bought nursing bras, which Im wearing now (non-wired) I have gone up a cup size and so got themin a D. but my back measurement keeps increasing so I have bought some bra extenders so I can increase my back measurement another two sizes, so hopefully I wont have to buy any more big bras.

That's a good idea - do they still have the same support as a Maternity bra? That's a brilliant idea actaully! :lol:

Yeah I bought a pack of two from Mothercare, they are very supportive as they are deisgned to support you when your breasts are heavy with milk.
I bought the bra extenders from a company called Midnight Liasons, and the pastage is free and they arived the following day

Heres the link
http://lingerie.midnightliaison.co.uk/l ... quantity=1

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back