Umbilical granuloma

AmyQ

Reaction score
Anyone else have experience of this?

Evan's belly button has been weeping since the cord stump came off. He has been on a course of antibiotics (hated them) and now been told it's an umbilical granuloma and will need cauterising with silver nitrate when the granuloma pops out. It doesn't bother him and I have been keeping it clean and dry.

I am seeing the doctor for our 6 week check on Thursday so will get it checked out then but just wanted to know if anyone else has had this.

Thanks ladies xx

I haven't had experience but I went to nurse as Anna's stump is still on and a doctor before said the nurse can take the clip off to stop her pulling it. So we went to nurse and she knew bugger all basically and called a doc in and he didn't really know what to do...she was hunting around for some scissors like random pair not even sterile ones to cut through that thick plastic :/!! Then the dr said to get sterile ones and he just cut that part of the chord off and then put silver nitrate around it. I just wanted to say that the nurse said if its going black where silver nitrate is then its normal lol. Just in case you panicked or something. Xxx

Tapatalking so I can't see sigs x

Again no experience directly but I did have silver nitrate on an infected wound myself and its bizarre stuff. As above mine kind of went black and they said that was normal, so try not to panic if it does.

My daughter had it. Her cord fell off when she was a week old and it appeared to heal well then at 5 weeks I noticed the granuloma when she cried, it then started weeping and even though I kept it clean and let the air get at it it was still weeping after a week so they cauterised it at her 6 week check. They don't feel a thing, it dries up a bit after and changes colour, the weeping stopped immediately and now she's got a normal belly button!!

My dd had it, needed 2 visits and 2 lots of silver nitrate but it was all fine. As others say it goes a funny colour but she now has a lovely belly button :eek:D x

My son had it and it became infected he got anti biotics for it but it didn't need taken off it just shrunk all by itself x

Spencer David Wilcockson 28/2/2013 6lbs 3.5ozs

Ruby's belly button is a but sore. I think it's starting to heal. It's not weeping. Im keeping an eye on it. Thanks for doing this thread x

After having quite a few more weeks of his belly button weeping, the doctor at the 6 week check said leave it, and then a nurse I saw suggested salt. So put a pinch of salt on the granuloma and left for 20 mins then washed. Did that for 2 days and hey presto, bye bye granuloma. Some NHS Trusts are recommending salt instead of silver nitrate. His belly button looks lovely now :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back