Is this right?

kellie80

Reaction score
Just come back from the doctors after getting babies belly button checked out because it looks like she has a umbilcal granuloma. Was told I was ment to be getting silver nitrate to dry it out but the young doctor didn't seem to know what it was for and has perscribed some 'Bepanthen' ointment. When I picked it up from the chemist its actully nappy rash cream???? Anyone have any clues to why she perscribed this or do you think its a mistake.

braydon had a umbilcal granuloma and i was given something called avoca wot it did was burnt off the lil bit of granuloma it sounds worse than it is lol maybe u should ask bout it

I don't think nappy rash cream is going to have the same effect, is it? Well at least I have 2 big tubes of it in case she ever gets a sore bum. Lol

I would say it must be ok as it is an anticeptic cream and also treats minor skin disorders. But you were right to question it as ive only heard of silver nitrate to treat a granuloma.

Maybe give the surgery a ring or perhaps ring NHS direct for advice if you are concerned?

unless for some merical which i seriously dont think has happened she got nappy rash on her belly lol :? id see another doc if i was u

on the bright side its supposed to be the best cream for nappy rash

yeah i think i will ring HV tomorrow cos i really do think its a mistake. i can't see how something thats ment to moisturise skin is going to dry out her belly button! Don't think the doctor knew what she was doing!

In france, we ALWAYS use something called "eosine", it is very red, and staines, but without alcohol, and dries skin. That's waht 99% of mums use over there, but it does not seem to exist here in Uk. My mum is bringing some to me. Cehck this link on ebay, someone is selling some... you might want to try.

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search. ... category0=

hope this help, or gives you an idea! If you know of something similar here in Uk, let me know!

Mel xx

Spoke to the doctor today and he perscribed me a silver nitrate stick called 'Avoca' like sarah17 said. When read the leaflet it scared me a bit and didn't really want to use it unless i have to so decided to give it one last go with the salt. I used a LOT more salt and after only 3 hours its gone black, so hopefully it will fall of soon and I won't have to use that stick. Thanks for the advice girls!

So was the other doctor wrong in what he prescribed in the first place??
The silver nitrate is fine dont worry, so dont be scared to use it if you need to! Hope it clears up soon!

Steph x

Yeah, don't know why I got nappy rash cream? Strange, think she just fobbed me off cos she didn't know what to do. Slightly worring that the wrong treatment was perscribed for a 5 week old baby though isn't it. Even if it is harmless cream Well I'm sure it will come in handy. I will use the silver nitrate if i have to but hoping the salt carrys on working, well I told hubby he will have to do it cos I don't trust myself.

Ive used the silver nitrate before to treat over granulating leg ulcers!! (im a nurse!!!! lol) It doesnt hurt or sting etc they dont feel a thing!

Yes that is bad they gave you the the wrong treatment, especially for a baby so young, what if you were to use it and she had a reaction to it! then they would be in trouble!

Yeah its a good job it wasn't antibiotics or something else that could hurt her and she give me the wrong stuff, thats what i was thinking. If doctor didn't know what she was doing, she should have got someone else to see us. How careful do you have to be with the stick? Its sounds hard to do on the leaflet and i don't know if i need to cover it afterwards cos it only tells you how to treat warts and verucas?

From my experience you just lightly run the stick over the wound and it turns silver (hence the name!!) You may want to cover it up after. I have heard that sometimes it doesnt work on the first go and you may need to return to the doc again!! Hope this doesnt happen anyway and it soon clears up

Steph x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back