Twins chat 2016/17!

Like Laura said, a lot to catch up on here. :)

Regarding c-section, I've always been expecting to need it. My older sister was born with emergency c-section, they basically had to pull my brother out. When my mum got pregnant with me she went to the doctor who delivered my brother and asked "and how are we getting this one out?", he immediately scheduled a c-section for her.
When my sister got pregnant she told her doctor this and was told that a narrow pelvis isn't hereditary. Guess what? My niece is born with an emergency c-section.
My brother is an obstetrician so I talked this over with him a few years ago. He said I might be able to give birth vaginally, but I should definitely be prepared for c-section and that yes, a narrow pelvis is hereditary (duh, it's bone structure) and I should definitely make sure they measure.
So with twins, I'm just not even going to go there.

We haven't bought anything yet, as we don't have much space. Going to try to to be minimalistic, as we've decided to move to Sweden shortly after the babies are born. So we're staying in our tiny one bedroom flat and getting as little stuff as possible. Babies will share a room with us and a cot with each other.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

It's handy to have a brother for an obstetrician:)
If that was my family history I would also be demanding a section, a lot of twins are born via section anyway I don't blame you for going minimal if you are moving over seas x

Where in the north west are you from rhiandell? X

We live in Wigan, but I'm from Sweden, so it will be going home for me. Boyfriend's turn to be an expat. :)

Ah your not far from me, and I think it is only fair that it's your boyfriends turn to be away from home :) x

Oh, forgot to chime in on breastfeeding. I was definitely planning to do so, but I'm worried I might not have enough milk for two. And also the practicalities of breastfeeding two. I think the first thing I did when I got home the day I found out was to sign up for a Tamba breastfeeding webinar.
I would like to be able to express, mainly so boyfriend also get the bonding from feeding, but also to be able to get help. My mum will be coming to stay for the first month or so, so would be great if she could help with feeding.
I'm definitely not going to do on demand feeding. I respect those who chose that, but I want to establish routines, and that includes meal times. As much as possible of course.

MrsB, have you been in contact with any of the local twin clubs? My closest ones appear to be Preston or Manchester, so not sure which direction to go lol. Then again, after our deciding to move, I might not have the chance to go before that.

How long after birth are you moving away? It might be worth breastfeeding until you move if there isn't a lot of time as it will make everything a little easier then you could transition to bottles when you have moved? If not mam bottles are anti colic and self sterilising and were on offer on Amazon not sure if they still are ... But they don't come with all the hassle and bulk of a steriliser.

I have had a look at the groups but the same as you they aren't very local and while I am pregnant I can't currently fit behind the steering wheel :)

With our son we were against demand feeding and my son was perfectly fine he was quite big so we opted for 4 hour feeds and he thrived from the routine, I imagine with these being smaller we may have to do 3 hour feeds to start with, but I couldn't imagine the difficulties of demand feeding especially with twins x

I feel the same about demand feeding MrsB it must be so tiring & especially with 2!
When my sisters twins were born at 32 weeks the were in SCBU for 5 weeks & she expressed but they had formula when they came home & I think not long after they were home she did 6,12,6,12 feeding & it worked so well & she did it with her singleton too, she got the rest she needed & theyve have all slept from a really early age really well! She dropped the midnight feed when they were ready & they would sleep 8-7 every night! I'd like to try something similar when ours come along, obviously I know early days will be more frequent like you say but I love the routine aspect as I expect with twins routine & organisation will be key ! X

I agree, routine will be our best friend, my sons feeds were 8,12,4&8. To begin with he had a 4am feed but that stopped at 7 weeks and my husband and I didn't sleep a wink that night as he didn't wake, we kept checking on him lol.

I would probably express if these were to be in scbu but i think I am getting far enough for that to not be needed :).

I think a part of my routine will be to make sure when I have been out, is to refill the changing bag ready for next time x

You were right, Mrs B, I'm expecting two little girls! OH got quite emotional and shed a couple of tears haha, I've never seen him cry. We're excited to start thinking about buying a few bits now that we know!

Oh fab :) and he would of cried if they were boys too lol x

Also, I've only seen my husband cry twice, on our wedding day and the birth of our son x

He would've been delighted with boys, too! He was pretty adamant that they were girls though, he just seemed to know from very early on.

Aww, that's sweet about your husband. I think I might have a birth crier on my hands myself.

Last edited:
Haha I think it's sweet when they cry. I think mine will be crying again soon :) or at least he better had do :) x

I want to express and establish a routine too, don't want to feel like a milk cow! Been too busy to join any twin groups but we have had some info about a twin Antenatal course which looks useful.

That's so cute Laura! We saw ID twin girls at the weekend, they were adorable and clutching toy giraffes in their little hands!

My health visitor came today, my MiL works alongside her and managed to get her to come as she is a twin mummy.

She said the best thing is to consider 6 weeks a milestone and then start to implement a routine as obviously they will be smaller than a singleton baby so will need feeding more often as they will take less. She even suggested if bottle feeding the ready made cartons are ideal as to begin with due to the small amounts they will take.

She couldn't recommend Tamba enough either. Overall even though I thought I had a pretty good plan, I feel as though I will tweak it a little in the first 6 weeks, I found she was very helpful x

I'm 27 weeks with non identical twin boys. Due oct/Nov. I was really really hoping to be taken into hospital for 37 weeks but yet to have the conversation with the consultant. I have asked for c-section, main reason being that I had a horrendous induction with my daughter 3 years ago which ended in an emergency c-section. I would never ever been induced again, so if I haven't gone into natural labour by the time a c-section date arrives then it's def a c-section. Though in all honesty if I go into natural labour I do just want to go in for a c-section.

I've bought the mountain buggy duet. Expecting delivery of two space saver cots tomorrow, and currently getting rid of everything girlie and outgrown in prep for boys things!

I breastfed my daughter so initially intend on breastfeeding the boys when they arrive but we hope to have them taking a bottle too by around 6 weeks. We successfully got my daughter to swap to a bottle when needed, so fingers crossed can do the same with the boys....

Last edited:
Hi, I'm also having non identical boys :)
Also having a section at 37 weeks which is 13 sleeps away :). I have a 2.5 year old boy, and luckily kept pretty much all of his things so I didn't have to buy too much extra apart from what I needed to double up.
Make sure to ask your consultant at your next appointment about the section and give them your reasons, they may not book you in until you are further along but they can't really refuse you a section X

Oh MrsB you're so close now! So exciting.

I know I cannot wait, they are really causing some havoc now, not sure if it's because of their positions or if it's because there is 2 in there ... Is a relief to know the end really is in sight :) all I need to do is buy a mattress for a Moses basket and I'm ready for them :).

Just need to finish our lounge off that's all x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back