Twins and things?

rainbow.nicola

Reaction score
Hello

So it has just occurred to me that my dad has a twin brother and his sister is also a twin (the other baby didn't survive). Now I'm slightly worried as I looked up Hyper Ovulation. My dad has 5 brothers and sisters all with more than one child. So I have about 15 cousins/sister and none of them have had twins yet, not all of them have had children though. It would just be my luck tbh.

I'm so stupid for not realizing before and I'm sure it asks in your medical notes, to which I probably put no. Duh!

My mums a twin
Her grans a twin
My mums niece had twins
I've had similar thoughts lol

Twins usually run through the mothers side of the family, so you aren't as likely to have twins if they're on your father's side. My mum is a twin, there are twins in her grandmother's generation and my cousin had twins last year.

tapatalking x

I read that father's can carry the gene but aren't affected as they don't ovulate and can then pass it on to their daughters. I hope not, being pregnant was a big enough shock haha!

My husband's a twin. Although if I had a daughter who had twins I'd assume it just came from my side

Exact same for me babyem with twin relatives lol

Everyone was kidding around with me about it and I was replying "yeah whatever, don't be silly" and then it hit me like a brick wall last night. I can't actually believe I forgot my dad was a twin. I think it's because there's so many of them I don't really think about it. I feel quite big for 8 weeks though, I was a bit chubby before mind you :)

I read that and started nervously laughing. I don't even know, Ross never wanted kids so how wonderful would that be if not only did he have one but he had two. I always wanted a little girl so I bet I have two boys or something, typical :p! I'd be happy whatever happens, it's just scary enough thinking about having one! lol

I am a twin and was secretly hoping to have twins myself but 1 happy and healthy baby is all I want.

Michelle x

Twins only carry down the mums side and only non-identicals as it down to releasing two eggs! I was genuinely surprised not to have twins, as there's 13 sets on my mum's side and 3 sets of triplets :shock: my mum's an identical, but the rest were all non identical!

I thought that but I read this:

Do Twins Skip a Generation?

If your father was a twin, but you weren't, are you more likely to have twins? It's a common misconception that twins skip a generation in families. There is absolutely no evidence, other than circumstantial, that twins are more likely to occur every other generation. However, if you consider the influence of genetic hyper ovulation, this pattern could appear in families depending on whether their children were sons or daughters.

Generation 1: Grandma
Grandma has the gene for hyperovulation. She & Grandpa have fraternal boy twins, Rob and Bob

Generation 2: Rob & Bob
While Grandma's sons may carry the gene for hyperovulation, they do not ovulate. They will not have twins (excluding other factors). However, they each have a daughter.

Generation 3: Molly & Polly
Molly and Polly, cousins, inherit the gene for hyperovulation from their fathers. They each have a set of twins.
You can see how this example makes it appear that twins skip a generation in families. The pattern is influenced by whether the inheritor of the hyper ovulation gene is male or female.

That's a looooot of twins. Although I was thinking even if you did have hyper ovulation, you don't have it with every egg so what's the chances, must be pretty slim.

Even if you were to hyperovulate, both have to fertilse and hold tight! We have 2 on the forum atm who has lost one of their twins! x

I'd never thought about dads passing the gene to daughters! I suppose it's not just dependent on hyperovulation too, cos the chances of both eggs fertilising are so slim! I can't wait for the rest of my generation to have babies - my mum had 2 girls and her sister had 2 boys, so it'll be interesting to see if any of us do end up with twins!

Okay I feel better now. I haven't really had any pregnancy symptoms aswell. I don't know why but I seem to think if you have twins you'd have severe symptoms. Based on no fact what so ever. Going to twiddle my thumbs until scan date.

I have just had boy/ girl twins. My nan had fraternal twins too.
I had no excessive symtoms at all in pregnancy, normal nausea from 6-10 weeks, no actual sickness, and i wouldnt say i looked any bigger than a normal pregnancy until 20 weeks, then you started to notice the size and shape difference in my bump :)
But if you do have twins, consider yourself very lucky, i LOVE being a mum to twins, although i do miss my sleep, lol!

I am pregnant with non identical twin girls, my mums cousin has twins and my mums gran was a twin but nothing else so not a strong link, I used to have two periods a month (one v light) which I think is to do with me releasing two eggs!
Xxx

Aw they look so adorable! I've not really had any nausea and no sickness. The only thing I really noticed was my chest getting bigger and tender but they're not very sore anymore. Now I've been sitting watching twin videos on youtube. So obsessed! haha. xx

I had the implant in for a while and had that taken out in November due to it making me crazy. I've not had a proper period since then, The only period I've had since was in March and I don't even remember if it was a long period or just a day/two but that's what I'm going with for dates because it's all I've got. Since I didn't get a period for so long every so often I took a test in case but they were neg so I put it down to my body adjusting.

Last edited:
My dad has twin sisters and since they've already had kids - no twins!

My OH's mother is a twin and none of her daughters have had twins!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back