Turns out i'm a rubbish mummy :(

positivity :)

Reaction score
Will had his 8 week check up and immunisations today. Everything on the check up was fine and they were really happy with him except one thing..his rate of weight gain is slowing down :( i get him weighed every 2 weeks at the clinic and last Friday they said his weight gain rate had dropped and today it has dropped again. He is still gaining weight but the rate at which he is gaining has dropped.

I had OH with me, we've been arguing over the past few weeks when feeding LO because he isn't finishing his 5oz bottles. OH insists on him finishing it so will give him a rest and then continue feeding him. This upset me coz i stop feeding him once LO pulls away.

Each feed is difficult as he squirms around a lot.

Anyway, today we have realised that the reason for all of the above is that the teat size we are using is too small :( it should be OK for him but he needs to move onto the bigger size.

So all this time he has been hungry but has been getting frustrated and sleepy as each feed has taken him so long to get the milk out.

I feel so upset that i missed this! :( i went and bought the level 2 Dr Brown teat today and he knocked back 6oz with ease :shock:

So overall i'm feeling pretty shitty this afternoon :cry:

On the positive everything else was all good and he had his immunisations and was a very brave boy..unlike mummy who had a little cry :oooo:

xx

Hun I did exactly the same wasn't until a friend suggested a bigger teat that I even considered it. It doesn't make you a bad mummy at all!! It's all a learning curve and we are just all trying to work out the rules and game as we go along so dont give yourself a hard time. He's on the right ones now and I'm sure he will be just fine xxxx

Aww hun you are so not a rubbish mummy at all. Don't beat yourself up, it's just another learning curve and now you know and have sorted it and your LO is absolutely fine and thriving. He was still gaining weight too.

:hug:

He's 8 weeks old, you need to remember babies come out of you with no instructions manual.

And it's a learning curve, it will not hinder your baby at all in the long run. Don't beat yourself up at all, the fact it's noticed now and you've sorted it, you seem to be doing a pretty good job to me!

xxx

No one writes a book on how to look after a baby! No way are you a rubbish mum! We all make mistakes and learn from them! Please don't feel shitty!

You are not a rubbish mum ! As the others have said its a huge learning curve and you are doing so well xx

No one writes a book on how to look after a baby! No way are you a rubbish mum! We all make mistakes and learn from them! Please don't feel shitty!

Pinky has got it completely right!! Your not a rubbish mum at all, what's most important is that your intentions have always been in the right place and the fact that your upset actually shows just how much you care!! Xxx

thanks girls, you know when something seems really obvious after the fact though? how could i have not noticed he wasn't getting what he needed :(

it has also taught me a lesson about my OH. because i'm with LO all day everyday i assume i'm always right and that my OH wouldn't know but he was right this time!

LO is asleep now and i can't wait for him to wake and ask for another feed, i feel like he is underfed now :roll: xxx

Lol I look after Tyler everyday and OH gives me 'advice' but I know I'm right ;) lol!

How are things with Will apart from that?

Aw babe x you're far from rubbish! Live and learn xx there's a lot of that with babies, children, teenagers-actually with just people in general ;) lol x

hey it took me 3 months to work out that we needed to go up another teat size.....:shock:

Lol I look after Tyler everyday and OH gives me 'advice' but I know I'm right ;) lol!

i'm pretty sure i am right most of the time but he's well happy he was right this time :roll:

Will is overall good thanks hun except he hates having a poo :oooo: he isn't consitpated as he goes everyday and its the right colour and consistency but i seem to literally spend my whole days waiting for his poo as he is so much happier once it has arrived :eh: i genuinely think he just doesn't like actually pooing lol! i spoke to the dr today and she just said it is probably wind related and nothing to worry about.

how is lovely tyler? ur still BF right? well done you xxx

Def not a rubbish mummy like the others said it's a learning curve :hug:

You're not a rubbish mum at all. Babies don't come with manuals and as a first time mum its difficult to know what they need.

i'm pretty sure i am right most of the time but he's well happy he was right this time :roll:

Will is overall good thanks hun except he hates having a poo :oooo: he isn't consitpated as he goes everyday and its the right colour and consistency but i seem to literally spend my whole days waiting for his poo as he is so much happier once it has arrived :eh: i genuinely think he just doesn't like actually pooing lol! i spoke to the dr today and she just said it is probably wind related and nothing to worry about.

He's great thanks :) getting fatter by the day, looking forward to him getting weighed next week. Still bfing seems to be going well and expressing my first bottle for OH tomorrow morning so I can hopefully get a lay in! So fx!!! Xxx

He's great thanks :) getting fatter by the day, looking forward to him getting weighed next week. Still bfing seems to be going well and expressing my first bottle for OH tomorrow morning so I can hopefully get a lay in! So fx!!! Xxx

aw its so nice when you get them weighed for the first time. i wish my OH would let me have a lay in and i bloody bottle feed :mad:

xx

Oh hun you are not a rubbish mum. We all have to learn these things as we go along. You did nothing life threatening to that baby. If the worst thing you do as a mum is fail to see he needed a next size up teat then you are better than the rest of us!!! lol

aw its so nice when you get them weighed for the first time. i wish my OH would let me have a lay in and i bloody bottle feed :mad:

xx

I didn't ask, I told him! ;)

:hugs: don't feel bad. everyone has to learn- heck isn't that one of the reasons we're all glued to this forum - for help and advice when things get tricky. Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back