Top tips for reflux

mustard

Reaction score
Hi Girls,

First I want to apologise to you all, I had such a severe case of baby brain after my bubs was born that I forgot about how brill you all are and have barely been on here (apart from the odd sneak into tri3 to check all my Tri3 buddies had had there babies, they were all beautiful btw).

Anyway Keeley is a brilliant baby and has generally been very easy but she has terrible reflux. I've read through the recent posts on here and it sounds like some of you are reflux experts so please can I come crawling back for your help. Got appointment with gp tomorrow so I expect we will be given gaviscon. Does it have any side affects? Also has anyone used wedges for cot or changing mat (lying flat causes loads of vomit) we have tilted cot but LO ends up in a ball at the bottom lol.

If it helps she is 12weeks, 9lbs and breastfed.

Thanks in advance lovely ladies.

5ac467d2-1a43-89bd.jpg
Hey chick, can't help in regards to gaviscon as Harlow is on Renatatine and Donperidone.

I have the crib tilted a teeny bit but also use a little pillow thingymajig. This seems to work well and stops the reflux from causing to much havoc.

Thanks Lou, love the cupcakes sheet. Do the renatatine and donperidone work for Harlow? I wonder why the gp didn't suggest that for Keeley.

Hi hun Aj has had gaviscon and ranatitdine. The gaviscon thickens the milk and puts a layer over the top in the stomach to keep the milk down and the others are to neutralize the acid in the tummy. AJ has silent reflux and doesn't vomit just refluxes the acid into his throat. He has done much better on the ranatidine than the gaviscon but they try that first as the others are stronger. The only thing we found with gaviscon is that it caused AJ to be terribly constipated so maybe ak fo some lactouse from the doc too. We raise up the cot and roll up some sheets to put under his legs and either side of him cos that stops him slipping down but AJ sleeps on his tummy. I know you shouldn't but we have a breathing monitor and he will not sleep in any other position. x

Gaviscon is normally prescribed first because it's the mildest of the treatments, if it doesn't work then something stronger can be prescribed. The only real side affect is that it cam cause constipation, so keep an eye on your LOs nappies. I found Chloe only had constipation the first day tht she had gaviscon, but others LOs have it all the time unless they give water as well.

Try and keep your LO sat upright for 30 mins or so after every meal to help keep everything down.

Someone somewhere made a post about something they bought to help keep their LO in place whilst the basket was tilted, not sure where the post is but will have a look.

Hope your LO is feeling better soon.

LL where did you get the cupcake blanket? It's just tooo cute :)

found the link: http://www.babyreflux.co.uk/products/Snoozzz-Sleep-Wrap-Positioner.html

Last edited:
Tried gaviscon and the difference has been amazing only a few mouthfuls of sick instead of massive amounts and more importantly she isn't screaming. It is a total pain to give her though. She won't take it with water so having to give it with expressed milk. Not very convienient when out and about to mix up.

We've tried gaviscon, ranitadine, omezrapole, enfamil ar & nutrimigen. So far on nutrimigen (cows free milk) he seems to be ok. As someone else said they start off at the most mild med (gaviscon) and work up. My LO has severe acid reflux with choking & blue spells.

Keep LO upright while feeding & also after for 30 mins. Never lay LO flat, always keep them slightly elevated, even while changing nappy ect. Try not to use pillows, elevate the whole body as some it helps keep stomach contents down rather than just head. Avoid elastic waistbands, tight straps ect.

xxxxxx

by whole body you mean upper body right? ive found that Alyssa isnt too bad and so can happily lay on her playmat under her toys if propped up on a pillow, as long as her head and chest are higher than the rest of her stomach shes not sick or refluxing. im hoping that its just basic infant reflux and she grows out of it soon. also alternating gaviscon doses in her feeds as half a sachet dosent solve the refluxing much but 1 sachet in every feed makes her constipated so were doing 1 sachet in every other feed which seems to be going ok atm

Yeah sorry im not very good at explaining that one. I meant what you said, top half elevated, cushions aren't very effective coz its just the shoulders/head thats elevated, but it is alot better with whole top half elevated, if im making any sense! :shock: means the puke/reflux comes straight up from stomach & means no chance of being slumped

xxxxxxxx

yeah, the pillow i use is kinda moulded so that shes half on and half off it but on an angle not sat up iykwim? no slumping on her tummy and not flat so it works well.

Thanks girls. I have been elevating her as much as possible but I'd never thought about waistbands so thanks for that littlemiss she is now back in babygros and dungarees instead of her cute jeans but if it helps it is so worth it.

Still struggling to get the gaviscon into her, yesterday her poos went bright green which I read can be too much foremilk so I think expressing milk might be messing things up. Tried to mix with water today and she took it but then vomitted it up very forcefully so that didn't work.

Just ordered the sleep wrap positioner dustbunny, thanks for the link.

I really need to sort out one of those positioner things. What did you pay for postage?

Regarding the gaviscon, have you tried the wee syringe things to give it to LO, you might have to do it a cpl of times tho to get the full amount in.

xxxxxxx

If your really struggling to get gaviscon into her, it is available in liquid form - they are just cautious about giving it to LOs as it has a higher sodium content. But you only need to give 1ml of it instead of 15. A lot easier if your bf. xxx

Thanks for that tip, I'll ask the gp about the liquid form and maybe just give it less often.
littlemiss i think postage was 3.99 from amazon. its been really good as we not have her bed on a big slant without worrying, i'm also going to bring it on holiday with us instead of a travel cot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back