Reflux - long post warning!

emma_85

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I had a frantic few days of worry with my 18 week old son. He developed a rash all over his arms, legs and tummy. Small, red and patchy. He began being sick again after each feed (literally pumping out of him). He was very quiet and was just sitting quite dosey and "can't be bothered" type attitude. I ended up taking him to the Dr's again as the infant gaviscon given to him the week before was helping with the projectile vomitting, but the milk was still not staying down. While in the waiting room he had a feed and when we went into the Dr's room he again pumped all his milk back up for the Dr to see. It was quite good for her to see it happen. She checked him thoroughly and said the rash is nothing to worry about, some babies develop a rash when they are frequently upset or in discomfort. She assured me it was reflux symptoms and told me the gaviscon wasn't working enough to tackle his reflux and prescribed him 'Ranitidine'. He had his 1st dose at around 7pm (before his bath) and had 3oz of milk at 8.30pm. He fell asleep on the bottle, even winding him didn't wake him. I put him down into the travel cot at 8.40pm and he woke in the morning at 7.50am! Not stirring once in the night. He has NEVER done this. A good night for him is waking twice (usually around 1am and then 4am). The funny thing is, I woke several times to check on him, the 3rd time I thought "why is he not waking up?" I couldn't get back off to sleep myself until I shone my phone light by his feet to watch his chest going up and down before I could settle! When he did wake up he was babbling and cooing away to himself (rather than his usually screams and legs kicking in pain). He gave me the most gorgeous smile when I peered over to say good morning to him. I ended up having a huge cuddle on the bed with him with tears streaming down my face! Part exhaustion from the 2 hourly wake ups and part relief that I can finally see light at the end of the tunnel!

I had really hoped this new medicine had resolved his reflux problems and he can start to enjoy his feeds and sleeps much more :) Sadly, the sleeping patterns have gone back again to 3 hourly wake ups and him being quite sick and in discomfort again. I took him to the Dr's who has increased his dose of ranitidine to 1ml 3 times a day (rather than 0.5ml) He has been on this dose now for 3 days and I am still not seeing any difference in him. The past few months have been a real battle, which is hard as a Mummy when I know that when he is well he is so smiley, shouty and happy - not the unhappy and inconsolable little guy he had started to turn into. Who would have thought reflux would cause so much heartache and discomfort for little ones :(

Don't get me wrong, when not feeding he is so happy and playful, an absolute pleasure. Feeding is just a nightmare!

The Dr is writing to the hospital for him to see a pediatrician to see whether the reflux is due to a lactose intolerence or too much acid being produced in his stomach. I do not think he has a lactose intolerence - he only started being very sick like this about 5-6 weeks ago. He has always been a windy baby and been in discomfort with bottom wind. When he sicks up it has always been mucusy and gooey.

I guess I just want to tell my story to see if anyone else has or is experiencing the same thing? It's so hard as a Mum to watch your little one be in so much discomfort and being unable to console with the usual cuddles.

hey,
Well we had a very similar prob, with the projectile vomiting, the pain, straining etc. We were given gaviscon, and colief by the GP none of this worked!! He was on nutriprem2 prescription formula, but i was so convinced it was the formula that was causing the problems i took him off it and we went onto apamil. And have never looked back since. No more straining, vomiting, pain etc!! Im not sure if this is any help to you dear and im not sure if you bottle or breast feed. But just by simply changing his formula, i have a different babyxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Charley had bad reflux when he was younger and ended up in hospital with dehydration. My doctor and hv were hopeless and caused me more stress. My doc prescribed something that tasted awful and charley wouldn't take it so I gave up.
Luckily hes not in pain when throwing up but at nearly 8 months old he still throws up.
Don't be like me, don't give in, keep at your doctor! Like you said its not nice seeing them like it! x x

I formula feed. Elliot is on cow and gate milk. The first thing I mentioned to the Dr was changing his milk, I was told that this is the last resort! I think for the moment I will continue with the medication and await advice from the pediatrician.

The only things I have found with the gaviscon and renitidine is that his poos have firmed up (he's not constipated) he has normal poos rather than explosions of korma sauce (sorry if TMI) and he wakes up in the night twice rather than every 1-2 hours.

At the baby clinic on weds to weigh him, then at the Dr's on thurs to discuss what the improvements have been etc. I'm hoping Thursday will bring some more solutions.

J was very similar and we got told he had reflux and he ended up in hosp after having stopped breatjing cos of 'it' and turned out he had a cows milk intolerance. Change of milk and we had a brand new lil man. I would demand to chanhge his milk as a trial and see what happens.......if it is an intolerance of any description then its best to know and if the drugs aren't working then you can't lose. X sorry he's suffering x

hey chick,
I hope you get on ok on Thurs and i would def ask about changing his formula xxxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back