To work or not to work?

Marlene

Reaction score
OK, work dilemma.

I currently do weekend cover in a hotel. This means I live in two nights a week. I get a minimal amount, and TBH I'm wondering whether it's worth cutting my losses and living off my parters income. I've not looked into the financial aspect yet, and what I'd be entitled to, however I'm thinking bigger picture.

As a live in job, after the baby arrives, I would have to relocate me, baby and everything that goes with them week in, week out. This is an option as I've discussed it with my boss. I work alone, so as a first time Mum, I'm not sure what I'm letting myself in for 'til it happens. But I'm thinking that I'm not going to be able to cope with a baby and doing reception, making breakfast and running a laundry as well. Obviously I wouldn't be able to take the baby into a commercial kitchen or laundry. I'm thinking that I'm going to be very stressed, which is not going to help me or baby and it's just going to be a nightmare. Our quality of family life at home would just be none existant.

Fortunately my partner pulls in good wage, but I'd like to pick your brains as to what I would be entitled to apply for to see if it's financially viable for me to give up work. For the sake of my sanity!

Last edited:
Hi Marlene, to be honest, taking a baby into work at all , in any way, just won't work, that is work in itself.

you can never just plan for them to sleep when you need them to, it's a juggling act and your work will suffer, let alone your employer letting you.

I didn't go back this time round, depending what your hubby earns, I get working familes tax credit / child tax credit - as hubby works 40 hours at sainsburys for £18 K. You will also get child benefit , the one everyone gets

We will gorw veg again this summer, we make do more, watch the pennies well, and you know it's fine, you can get loads of stuff at bootsales, or own brand clothes for babys and if you breastfeed and cook your own baby food, all they cost is nappies and wipes!

Go for it

You're right. I know you're right. All of my instincts point towards being a stay at home Mum. If I was in a different job, I could do the maternity leave and then return, butdue to the nature of the job I do, its just not going to work.

Breaking it down even more, we live approximately two miles from where I work. I can't drive, so it would mean dragging everything about with me. Not practical. Option to combat that is to duplicate up on clothes / steriliser / nappies etc and have a stock at work. This would be added expense. And as I said, I don't know what I'm letting myself in for. I'm fretting enough about being a Mum, never mind having to stress out over a job for minimal pay.

Other option is childcare, which would cost a fortune. As my partner is an HGV driver, his hours are unpredictable, sometimes he's home at 2pm, sometimes 9pm. And he starts at 6am. I wouldn't have thought any childcarer would be that flexible. And what I earn would be dead money going to childcare.

I've looked into the benefits you named and we should be entitled to some working tax credit. Thanks for your advice there. Appreciate it a lot.

We're both very careful with money as it is, so we would cope. I'm a right one for charity shops, own brands etc. To be honest I think me giving it up is the most practical option. I also want to enjoy being pregnant and being a Mum without having this stress hanging over me for the sake of a few pounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back