To reduce tearing at birth

Daffodil

Reaction score
Hi

I've heard comments about massage and creams for the vagina so that it decreases the risk of tearing.

Is this necessary? Does it work?

What do you rub on there? how do you do it?

Thanks!
Dawn

Daffodil said:
Hi

I've heard comments about massage and creams for the vagina so that it decreases the risk of tearing.

Is this necessary? Does it work?

What do you rub on there? how do you do it?

Thanks!
Dawn

Tearing is my MAIN fear over all of the pain so I'd be interested to hear any ideas on avoiding it too! As for the massaging thing, I've been told its olive oil you should use though it seems a bit too messy for me! Think im gonna just put in my birth plan that this is my fear and ask the MW to advise me to push slower, etc to avoid it. Has this worked for anyone??xx

If you read Sherlock's birth story her midwife said it had helped her. I think it would as it moisturises and stretches the area in preparation. Certainly won't do any harm.

laura23yrs said:
Think im gonna just put in my birth plan that this is my fear and ask the MW to advise me to push slower, etc to avoid it. Has this worked for anyone??xx

This definitely worked for me fir Riley's birth :)

Can anyone provide links or more info?

Is olive oil really what you use?

Do you have to stretch the area with your fingers?

Thanks

I did perineal massage from about 35 weeks. (Well, OH did it for me as I couldn't reach comfortably.)
We used normal olive oil. It was quite uncomfortable at first, but it got better in time. I did tear (second degree) because I needed a ventouse delivery, but I honestly think it may have been worse if I hadn't massaged. It wasn't as bad as I thought and I healed very quickly. The bruising from pushing was actually more uncomfortable than the stiches.
It is certainly worth trying.
Sherlock posted a link to a really useful article about it: http://www.easy-childbirth.com/download/report.pdf page 23 onwards is really useful.

i bought some special perineal massage oil off of the internet (it cost £8 ) but iv heard vegetable oil works just as well (and tbh the little pretty bottle i had contents looked and smelled like vegetable oil- think i been had! :roll: )

and from about 33 weeks i got my boyf to do it (its hard to reach urself with a massive bump) put it on ur thumbs and press in a U shape on the back wall of the vagina and then the bit between the fanny and the botty (perineum lol)

we did it every week til 36/37 weeks then twice a week.

after i'd given birth the first thing i said to the midwife was "did i manage not to tear?" lol! but to my dismay she said there was a little one :(

however it wasnt that bad, altho she said it was 2nd degree (the muscle too) it only required 2 stitches and at first she was umming and ahhing over whether it needed any at all (she decided it did coz it wouldnt stop bleeding)

i was pissed off at first that the massage seemingly hadnt worked, until i was told i'd got off lightly for a first baby- especially as im so small (5'4" and 31-inch hips) and my babys head was on 75th centile! so i think it mustve helped.

dont pay £8 tho!

I never tore in my natural birth, i didnt use anything, no massaging the perineum, no rasberry leaf tablets or tea, nothing!!

On the other hand, Caitlyns head circumfrence was 30.5cm, so i dont no if that helped that she was so small.

I didnt have to push the rest of her after the head was out, she just slid out after that!!

Urchin said:
laura23yrs said:
Think im gonna just put in my birth plan that this is my fear and ask the MW to advise me to push slower, etc to avoid it. Has this worked for anyone??xx

Oh good I'm definately gonna do this then if it helps. What sort of thing did you write- just that you prefered to not tear any way possible??xx

Some great info, just what I wanted thanks.

Happybunny your link was GREAT....I'm going to be printing that out.

1sttimemum....do you know how big 30cm is? lol do you mean 30mm?
ouch!

Dawn

I think she defo mean 30cm hun lol. Jordan's was 36cm and I had to be cut and I also tore :shock:

Gosh if her head would have only been 30mm doubt anyone would need to dilate to 10cm, lol they would just slip out. :rotfl: :rotfl:

BUT, in all honesty, yes around her head went 30.5cm

i never used any massage things before the birth and i dint tear but i think that was partly down to how i pushed him out the midwife was getting me to stop after a push and just do little breaths to ease the head out rather then trying to get him out in one go :)
manda xx

manda224 said:
i never used any massage things before the birth and i dint tear but i think that was partly down to how i pushed him out the midwife was getting me to stop after a push and just do little breaths to ease the head out rather then trying to get him out in one go :)
manda xx

This is what Im gonna try and do, did you ask the midwife before hand to help you do this or did she just do it anyway?xx

laura23yrs said:
Urchin said:
laura23yrs said:

Oh good I'm definately gonna do this then if it helps. What sort of thing did you write- just that you prefered to not tear any way possible??xx

I wrote a few things down but then discussed it in detail with the MW, I tore badly with Brody, and was very worried about it happening again. with Brody the Mw said nothing about pushing slowly or anything, he just popped out in one push :shock: With Riley the MW got very stern when I was ready to push, she said " Look at me, listen to me, you need to push slowly or you will tear" etc it really made me focus and do it right.

Thanks Urchin thats so helpful! :D Im definately gonna put it in my plan and also remind the midwife at the time then, I dont care if the labours longer I'd rather take it slow and have less problems after as Im terrified of tearing more than any ofthe labour!xx

:doh: DOH!

Sorry about the 30cm comment....I'm thinking diameter....lol not circumference.

So I was thinking 30cm across the head...not around it doh

shows what I know

Can I use the pregnancy brain excuse?

Dawn

laura23yrs said:
manda224 said:
manda xx

This is what Im gonna try and do, did you ask the midwife before hand to help you do this or did she just do it anyway?xx

she told me before i went into labour that she will ask me to do it so i was aware of what she was going to say to do :) maybe speak to your midwife about it
manda xx

I didn't do any massage - didn't have time as he was early

Follow the midwife's instructions about breathing will help ;)

I didn't have a hope! Asher's head circumference was 37cm!!

Needed an episiotomy after over 2 hours of pushing did absolutely nothing!

K.x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back