Can you prevent tearing?

TORino

Reaction score
This is something I really really worry about when I have to give birth.

I don't know much about tearing, only that it sounds painful! I don't know what the different degree tears mean etc.

If you do what the midwife says and blow/pant when they tell can you still get a tear?

What causes it? Is it simply the exit being too small for the baby's head? I had heard if baby comes too quickly it can cause it as well, is that true?

I am considering doing this perineal massage thing I have heard about, does anyone have any experience of it?

The massage is a waste of time IMO.
The best thing you can do is stop pushing and take it slow when the midwife says. It's the baby pushing out quickly that makes a tear a lot of the time. If you follow her instructions, you reduce the chances.
A lot of the time the skin is so stretched that you don't feel the tear at the time as its numb, I had an episiotomy and didn't feel it, I've also had a big tear and didn't feel that at the time either.
Put it out of your mind hunnie x

If you follow the midwives your more likely not to tear or just have a 1st degree tear or graze. 1st degree generally they won't stitch unless they feel you need it and 2nd degree you'll usually have a couple of stitches. With 3rd and 4th degree just don't worry about that unless it happens as it'll only concern you more lol.

Like you say though if baby comes too fast that can usually be the cause of it and sometimes it can be helped. I had an emergency section so didn't experience any (well I has a massive cut but on my belly lol). Just looked into it when I was pregnant lol.

I can imagine not worrying too much at the time and just wanting the baby out etc It must be really tough not to push if you feel you desperately need to!

I am not googling on this one... lol.

It's hard, the head is crowning and you want it out but the bloody midwife says stop, pant and you're like "wtf!!!" but listen to her! She'll use her fingers to gently move your skin and ease the head out, then the body just slips out with the next push x

I had no choice but to tear, i did the masage thing but both my babies came oy=ut back to back so face facing upwards so i tore at front instead of back :( What hurt more was the anaesthetic needle to numb the area while they stiched it.

I had an episiotomy and I tore, you just dont feel it when its happening. But definately listen to the midwives instructions and keep as calm as possible :) my baby is coming up for 9 weeks and I'm already saying I would love a brother or sister for him so it can't have been that traumatising. Its an amazing time x

I read somewhere once that massaging something like bio / baby oil on that area everyday can help make the skin more stretchy, not sure if it works but worth a shot if you are worried about it xx

I didn't do any massage - well tried it once but was way too messy for my liking!! I just listened to the midwife about pushing and when to pant etc and escaped with a graze x

I worry about this too! Read and heard such horror stories, and the word 'tear' sounds scary enough!
I just hope that during my labour I listen to the midwife!

I tore badly but it was an emergency forceps delivery because my baby was in distress. My waters were a thick meconium so I found myself attached to a monitor while I was in labour. I had an episiotomy and a seperate nasty tear which I won't say too much about. I didn't feel the tear as it happened and I didn't feel the episiotomy either xx

Last edited:
I had a tear, but it wasn't too bad. Defo listen to the midwives when they tell you to stop. I didn't even realise I had tore though until the midwife told me afterwards, and with the stitched, I was numbed and was allowed to use the gas and air while she was stitching, it just tickled! lol.
It does sting a little afterwards when you pee though, so try not to worry about it, thats the main thing I was petrified about, but it really wasn't that bad xx

My son was born in 33 mins so I had a 3rd degree tear but didn't feel it happening nor was it sore after. Won't go into too much detail but you just have to do whatever happens unfortunately you don't know what happens till it does but I was petrified as my friend told me horror stories and I had exactly the same and tbh it was nothing compared to what else I was going through at that time (I broke my ankle at 38wks pregnant and was in a cast throughout labour and till son was 6 wks old) and all I remember was feelin like I bruised myself with that as I was trying desperately to learn to walk and care for my son!

Definately listen to the MW when shes tells you when to push or not, my MW was great a really eased her out and talked me through the whole thing. I was paranoid about tearing so I really made sure I did what she said even though it was really hard, I escape with 2 grazes which have all healed up now so was definately worth listening to her. Also for afterwards my MW recommended putting a couple of drops of lavender oil on your pads to help the healing. It deffo makes things feel better down there! Was amazing! Would deffo recommend it!

There isn't really much you can do - just do what the MW's say - if they say...dont push or...pant - the reason they're saying that is coz if u push too hard you could rip yourself. Its very difficult coz your body is telling you to push.

:)

Found this thread really helpful. Thanks xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back