massage to stop tearing?

nori

Reaction score
Hi all,

I believe there is a kind of massage to do to help stop tearing? Did you do it? What did you use and when did you start? oh and do you think it helped??

I cant even see my lady bits anymore so this should be interesting!

Thanks in advance,

Claire x

Perineal massage.

You probably will need your OH to do it for you tbh.

I did it from about 32 weeks iirc. I had a really quick second stage (34 minutes) and found pushing pretty easy all things considered. Also found the head crowning not painful. I did tear but LO was almost 10lb at birth and a chunky baby so hardly surprising. I think the massage helped.

IIR I have a PDF on how to massage etc. Drop me a PM if interested.

You'll need some olive oil and a bit of patience and your OH will need a sense of humour ;)

I started massaging the perineum at about 25 weeks on the advice of my midwife. I had quite an extensive 2nd degree tear with my first baby and wanted to prevent a repeat, so she recommended starting about half way through my pregnancy, massaging the area with a natural oil such as olive oil or almond oil. I used almond oil and did it daily after my bath or shower in the evening.

Im undecided as to whether it helped or not tbh, as although I had another 2nd degree tear this time, it is fairly small and caused nowhere near the damage of my first baby. But whether this is down to the massage or just the fact I had a smaller baby and easier, faster delivery, I really dont know. Its worth a try though hun, and if nothing else, it feels nice! :oops: :lol:

:wave: yes i did perinneal massage! well my boyf did, i couldnt reach around my bump to get my thumbs inside :lol:

i paid £8 for some special perineal massage oil off of the internet, and from about 31 weeks pregnant i got my boyf to do it for me

i must say it SOUNDS like its gonna be loadsa fun, sticking your own or your partners fingers inside and wiggling them around :wink: but ITS NOT FUN AT ALL! lol its actually a bit uncomfortable like a smear!

u gotta get 2 thumbs, pressed just inside on the "back wall" iykwim, and push outwards and move the thumbs in a U-shape, like a half-pipe, to gently stretch the muscle and skin.

alas it did not work for me, i still had a second degree tear, but it required only 2 stitches, and iv been told i got off lightly considering how big my baby's head was (35cm) and how small i am (size 6) so i do believe it halped a bit. (well dont like 2 think i wasted £8 anyway! lol)

Thanks ladies... I have no hope of doing it myself if its both thumbs..I dont mean this to sound explicit but if partner is infront of me with my legs a kinder, he puts his thumbs inside with knuckles facing up? He then does a u bend movement? Have i got this right?

Claire x

yep thats right ur partner puts both thumbs on the back wall (the one between ur foo-foo and ur poop-chute! lol) so yeah knuckles up then he presses down and slides each one up either side. in a half-pipe shape! and must press down firmly to gently stretch. its disappointingly unsexy :lol:

If its being done correctly it should be uncomfortable. Means things are stretching. It took about a week of doing the massage for it to stop feeling anywhere near as uncomfortable as it was those early days. But it was always a bit uncomfy each time.

i didn't do any massaging and got 2nd degree tears. My friend spent weeks doing it and also got 2nd degree tears :think:

Its not always to prevent tearing. Also meant to just make things more pliable so baby comes down and out a bit easier.

I had a 2nd degree tear also but my second stage only lasted 34 minutes. And was pretty easy all things considered.

I think the massage and RLT helped me for sure.

I didnt do any massaging and had not a single stitch, yet my friend from ante natal did it religiously from 33 weeks and had a 3rd degree tear so i believe its just the luck of the draw.

Yes, i did it. Found it uncomfortable but did it from about 32 weeks, I just used olive oil. Don't know if it would have worked as I had a section in the end.

I did it for ages at least once a day.I doubt i would bother doing it again as i tore and needed stitches. I guess i dont know if it had of been worse had i hadnt done it but i believe now if you are going to tear then you are going to tear but i guess you could try it anyway.

It wasn't pleasant but I did it. I found sitting on a bidet quite handy.

I didn't have any tears...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back