To buy a doppler or not?- Ordered one!

x Naomi x

Reaction score
I really am in two minds on this one, i would really love to be able to listen to bubs heartbeat everyday or every other day but then i am worried that if i get one and cant find the heartbeat then i am going to be stressing about it

I know that not everyone can find the heartbeat until later and the midwife doesnt even listen until 16 weeks

Who has got one? and when have you heard heartbeat from?

Hi NW1

I did get a doppler when I was pregnant - think I got it in the 2nd half of my pregnancy so was easy to hear the heartbeat. I wasn't obsessive about listening - probably only used it once a week or so. I think as long as you know that your baby is in the right position (which you will know from midwife) and you lie on your bed relaxing you will usually find the heartbeat.

I found it very reassuring for times when I had not felt baby move in a while or if he had been over active and I just wanted to check the bpm.

I guess it really depends on you as a person and whether you will want the reassurance or not? Good luck with your decision.

I had a doppler and heard the heartbeat from 8 weeks but it was quite faint until I got to 10 weeks, then it became alot clearer.

I'd recommend getting one, I loved being able to hear baby whenever I wanted :)

I haven't got it anymore because I feel baby move everyday but it's definately worth having one before you can feel baby move and even after you can feel movement if baby is having a quiet day :)

Rachel said:
I had a doppler and heard the heartbeat from 8 weeks but it was quite faint until I got to 10 weeks, then it became alot clearer.

that's useful to know.... I'm in 1st tri and only about to hit 8 weeks this week and wasn't going to get one yet because I've heard a few ladies say you can't hear anything until much later.

However, if i get one now and can't find anything....even if I know it's probaby just too early, will I worry myself silly about it :think: :think:

probably

I got a doppler with this pregnancy, I got mine from Argos but I've not really heard the baby's heartbeat with it yet. I made my mw put her doppler on me at 12 weeks and heard it fine with hers but they don't usually listen now until 20 something weeks down here. I think it depends on the doppler. They are reasuring and I can hear my baby kicks with my one.

Hi Bowman

My friend bought me the doppler from argos as an xmas pressie (the one with the belt?) and to this day I still cannot pick up baby on it.

I bought one from ebay (angelsounds) when I was about 16 weeks and its brilliant and I still use it now if baby is a bit quiet. It really reassured me, but dont stress if you cannot find heartbeat before 16 weeks, I think Rachel is really lucky to have heard hers at 8 weeks.

i used the angelsounds from about 11 weeks and it was fab :)

i didn't use it obsessively though, maybe once or twice a week. i gave it away a month ago because i can feel baby moving clearly now :)

i think they are a great idea and really good for bonding between daddy and baby too :D

i couldn't find the h/b a few times at the start, but my little man is such a wriggler that even my m/w used to have to chase him to find it :rotfl: luckily he is big enough now that she finds it straight away, he has no where to run :lol:

Ordered one! I dont take much persuading! Just got to wait for the post man now!

We have had a doppler from about 13 weeks and heard the heartbeat. It took a full day of trying, it took hours of trying. I would also like to say this is my wifes 3rd pregnancy and the more you have the easier it is to listen in.

If you feel like getting one I would. We went for a cheap one but soon went for a more expensive hibebe model with lcd heart rate display

A few things I would say before though. Sometimes you won't hear baby because they have a lot of room to play in, can hide behind your pelvic bone or just not want to be found. Our little girl used to be found here there and everywhere.

Its not possible to hear the babys heartbeat from 8 weeks. At that point you can only just pick it up on. A scan. It could be the placenta or cord that you have picked up and thought was the babys heart beat.

I look back now on the last 14 weeks of having a doppler and realise from what I have heard that I am guilty of getting the placenta and babys heartbeat mixed up.

It is so easy to do as the only difference is that the placenta makes a wooshing noise and babys heartbeat sounds like horses galloping. It really is so easy to mix them

I'm not trying to upset anyone, just wanted to say this as I would like to have known when we got our doppler.

Just to add to JP's post above... It was at 10+6 weeks that we first had a doppler and heard our baby. JP got a little mixed up, but I remember clearly because I was shocked to pick it up so soon.

It was however after several hours of trying that I finally heard it. Definately not easy to find baby that early on.

I would say to definately get one, it has been such a blessing for us as through all the worries we have had we have been able to hear her.

Ive never not heard the heartbeat

Ordered an angel sounds off ebay

Dont use it that much though as i can feel kicks :)

I think they can be great so long as they don't become a crutch or people spend hours sitting with the thing stuck to their tummy. I found that once little one was big enough to kick out when I used the doppler it became obvious s/he wasn't a fan of it and would also move away from where it was placed. So I limited my time to finding the heartbeat, listening for no more than 20 seconds and then turning it off.

Some people get so worried if they can't find the heartbeat one time or it takes ages to do so and it causes panic. Its just a case of remembering to keep perspective and that even at 16 weeks or so it can happen you can't find LO in there. If that happens put it away and don't spend hours trying to detect a heartbeat. Always keep in mind that hearing the placenta whooshing is a positive thing.

Maybe set aside 5 minutes before bedtime to use it, I used to enjoy that as it would give me and OH a bit of Bump time together and I would go off to sleep knowing I had heard our LO's heart beating away :) It was a lovely feeling.

As soon as I was able to feel kicks and so on easily I stopped using it totally and its not seen any use since. LO kicks like hell if I try to use it now and tbh I prefer just watching and feeling the movements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back