To book a section or not?

Jacksonr1023

Reaction score
This will be my second child. My first birth I wanted a natural water birth, I hired a tens machine the lot. I managed 29 hours with a tens machine but no water birth, it all went wrong from the beginning. I started labour bleeding and they wanted to monitor me, then there was meconium in my waters so they monitored me even closer and prohibited a water birth. Then they made me lay down because standing meant they kept loosing a trace on the baby. Then they wanted to hurry me along as worried about the baby so used chemical inducement to speed it along. As a result contactions became really bad and baby went on my back causing no break between contractions. By the time I was fully dialated I was shattered, this final stage was 4 hours and I had no urge to push. Ultimately I was told that I would need to go to surgery where they would try forceps but prep me for a section. I was informed of the need for a section - very distressed baby - as they pushed him back in before a section. I went on to successfully breastfeed but caught an infection making my recovery lengthy and very umcomfortable. Turns out my son was very long and generally big (9lb 10) and I'm only just over 5 foot!

I'm now 34 weeks, struggling to walk already due to how baby is laying and going to see consultant in 2 weeks about whether or not to have a section, until now I have maintained that I wanted VBAC but now I'm worried about another emergency and impact on child number 1 and I'm swinging toward a section.

I know this is a lengthy post but anyone got any advice??

not had any labour experience yet, but maybe this one wont go the same? it must be hard that youve been through that and i think i would question it too. some good advice i was given was every labour is different, within the same people soon. i guess really its up to you, if you feel ok for a section go for it! maybe talking it over with midwife? xx

I have to say my last birth was so easy contractions came at 4.30pm very strong and I was in so much pain buy they said I was already 10cm dilated!!! so they said I could start pushing!!!! an hour and 18mins Mia was born this pregnancy on the other hand has been terrible and the baby will be born between now and 8 weeks and im so scared, and I have to have a ceserean and I really dont want one.

But I think that it is upto each person to make there own decision so you do what you feel is best for you and your baby xxx

Hey hun....its defo a personal choice, i mean discuss it with ur OH too. I had a terrible experience, ended up having c section but still baby didnt survive. Me and my Oh have decided for elective as can be al il more organised and really cant go through it again. It sounds as if ur finding it hard so far, i would weigh everything up. Its not necessary that ul get a bad experience again...on the other side with an elective u can be pre planned, i do fill anxious about going into thearte...but still not as nervous as i would have been if wed opted for going naturally.
Its hard but goodluck hun xx

My first was a disaster inwas induced hooked upto a machine for 24hrs and ended up with a section ingot an infection as they left after birth in me
And i could hardly walk....- now... Second time round was set on vbac and had a baby boy vaginally it was the best thing I have ever done went nothing like the first and have just opted for another vbac again today x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey ive just had a great VBAC after a terrible time first time around.... I had the agreement with my consultnat that I wanted a VBAC as long as things were going smoothly, I had like an early opt out clause where if things were progressing slowly or something just didnt seem quite right i'd be taken for a section. My DS who is now 2 was 8lb15oz and I was told that he had basically got stuck in my pelvis so was quite concerned when my growth scan at 39 weeks estimated that this baby was already 9lb4oz! Anyway long story short I was in labour less than 3 hours and she was born in one push and to be honest i'm absolutely walking on air that i managed my VBAC. I'd say give it a chance as it coulld be really straight forward but have the option there to opt out if things arent progressing well! Good luck xxx Ps. just put by VBAC story on the new arrivals section if you want a read xx

I have never done normal labour and only had planned sections, I would love the shot at labour, (lalthough it sound blooming hard work and painful!) but can't due to prev ops and now too many sections anyway.

It sounds like you had a terrible time, but perhaps could you try for vbac, and they will keep far more an eye on you as won't let you go for long and swicth to section then if needed, givig you the chance of a better birth experiance, and second time rounf things should be much quicker. would family would help out with your child , and I'm sure they would be more than happy while your in labour , good luck with your desicion X

Last edited:
Cheers everyone, nice to hear positive VBAC stories. Just wish someone would decide for me in some ways! Would be easier.

I've dissided have a vbac hehe! Lol x

iv got consultant on weds to make my final choice as well after emerg section with dd but im going vbac my birthplan is to monitor constantly and section at first hint of trouble but having a emerg section is no more or less traumatic to the body than an elective so why not give it a try i just want to be up and around as soon as poss and i know a vbac is my best chance of this

I've just had my appt and asked for vbac with intermittent monitoring but if they need to I will let them monitor me of course just coz I seem to get stuck at 3cm and I find moving around moves my cervix on lol can't deal with another 3day+ at 3cm haha!! X

just to add my tenapenny in... i would love a go at natural birth, as had emergncy section with first and they had to cut me in a different way so they told me then and there that vbac was never an option for me...

would also say my mum had me (the first) by emergency c-section and got an infection and stuff... but then went on to have 2 normal births... and back in those days (lol) they didnt do ultrasounds or anything like that... so i think these days medicine and monitoring has moved on so much its got to be safer these days :)

I think i would go for the VBAC with the idea in my head that if it turns into a section oh well i tried.....

hope that helps

xxxx

Hi, good for you deciding although I know this can be a hard choice. My first little boy was a normal delivery and too be honest I found it okay went quickly and straight forward. However this time I have been told my placenta is lying low and they will decide at a later stage what is too happen if still lying low it will be a C Seaction - I think that a normal birth sames scary as you dont know what will happen etc during it, what pain there will be etc as each one is different and a C Seaction to me is scary as well as I just wouldnt know what to expect at all before, during and after. Totally understand that this a difficult and personal decision. Fingers Crossed!!xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back