Tips for dealing with labour pains...

Nic36

Reaction score
Just thought I would share a few tips I have been given for dealing with the pain of contractions. I think these tips act as a diversion from the pain of the contractions - I am going to give them a go and hope they might get me through for as long as possible before resorting to drugs!

1). Use a comb to rub along the palm of your hand / tips of your finger tips - apply a fair bit of pressure so that it hurts. Apparently, this sends a message to the brain to release more pain relief and can help take your mind off the contraction pain.
2). Massage - get your partner to massage you and encourage you to breathe through the contractions. The more relaxed you are the better able you will be able to tolerate the pain, and the easier the labour will be (in theory!)
3) ice cubes - works in the same way as the comb - a type of 'feel good' pain.
4) self massage - apparently massaging your ears is supposed to be very good. Not sure about this one, I think it sounds a bit weird, but apparently it can be very effective. Google 'ear massage' if you're interested! Lol

Don't know how well any of these work, but they've got to be worth a try! I've just packed a comb in my hospital bag in readiness!

If anyone has any other tips they have been given that they would like to share, please feel free! :)

all worth a go, how much of it actually works we'll find out soon enough! i cant wait now i want my little man out! :D

Last edited:
Oooooooh thanks for these Nic! I have a little list for DH to read out of different techniques so am adding these just now!

Lol Cos!!
Breathing thru really does help as I remember holding my breath through the pain then forcing myself to breathe and relax.
Staying upright really helped me as well.
Also back rubs off o/h - counter pressure in the base of the back. Good stuff x

The only tip I have is - epidural ;)

i am thinking this may be a route for me.........everyone is scaring me about this big baby and i am just wondering if i should just opt for an epi...

had there been no complications this late on, i would have tried without....i may still..but i dont know...lol can u tell my mind is puddled!!!

the only pain relief i had with 2nd was gas and air but ireally didnt like it as it made me sick and the only thing that got me through the contarctions was gripping the rails on the side of the bed really hard and taking it out on that and from what i remember it felt better than the gas n air lol :)

Personally I found concentrating on breathing long breaths worked - I was saying relax slowly to myself and breathing in on the reeeeee and then out on the laxxxxxxx

Epidural for me too as I suspect a general anaesthetic is out of the question :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back