three door car

Tangerinedream

Reaction score
I currently have a 3 door hatchback and i love it so much i dont really want to get a 5 door. i checked with my mechanic that the front passenger side doesnt have an airbag so i think i'll put the babyseat there and anybody else travelling can climb into the back so im not awkwardly bending my back everytime we travel in the car. ive also chosen my pushchair specifically because it folds quite small like a stroller.

has anybody else managed with a newborn and a 3 door or is it impossible to work the two?

weve got a 3 door car a peugot 205 and we managed fine baby in front and DH in back but now shes a little bigger DH puts her in the back oh and thats also because hes just past his test and i feel sick in the back. we are hoping to get a 5 door car aswell for me to drive and he can keep the 3 door 4 himself :)

I've got a three door and I haven't had any trouble at all, although I have heard that some people find 5 door cars easier to get LO in and out. :D

I have a ford ka when i was still with my ex is was a very tight for room... now i have the front seat free but my buggy has to go in the back with keeley so i can only fit one other person in the car with me :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Ihave got a 3 door(citroen saxo)| and I havn't had any problems. I put Jake in the front and the pram in the boot so I don't really use the back seats much anyway.

Me and Daniel have both got 3 door cars and we're not thinking of changing them anytime soon!

I must admit it would be easier with a 5 door but at least I can turn my passenger airbag off and have the baby in the front, Daniels you cant turn off so the seat will have to go into the back of his.

thanks for your replies ladies...

i love my little seat ibiza (and im still paying for it lol) and im deffo keeping it :D

I swapped my 3 door for a 5 door as I have a bad back and couldn't deal with the bending and preferred to have baby in the back.
We bought a Citroen Picasso, which has a feature that means you can turn off the front passenger airbag if you do want baby in the back.

I know this doesn't help you, just thought I would let you know my experience!

I know plenty of people that have coped with 3 doors though, (they just didn't have long and weak backs like stupid old me!!!)

hmmm this is interesting as we recently got a saab 9-3 which is a 3-door....airbags at the front both sides which I dont think we can turn off so baby will definitely have to go in the back.....im hoping there is a carseat out there somewhere that will fit as the back seats are pretty small :think:

Changing the car is out of the question as we have 3 years finance on it :wall:

mrsT said:
I swapped my 3 door for a 5 door as I have a bad back and couldn't deal with the bending and preferred to have baby in the back.
We bought a Citroen Picasso, which has a feature that means you can turn off the front passenger airbag if you do want baby in the back.

I know this doesn't help you, just thought I would let you know my experience!

I know plenty of people that have coped with 3 doors though, (they just didn't have long and weak backs like stupid old me!!!)
the reason we want a three door car is due to my bad back 2 but other than that i think we would be happy with a three door car

5 door cars with children are brilliant! Would never have a 3 door, so much easier! My brother has a 3 door celica and it's impossible!

I have a 5 door ( Audi A6) and sometimes I struggle bending in to do up Logans harness...(Me section scar hurts and so does my back) I woudn't be able to cope with a 3 door!

jax my friend had her front air bag turned off by the dealer inher golf . maybe you could ask saab about that ? i know i will when the time comes cos i doubt im getting rid of my 3 door either !

Yep i got to get my Polo's air bag turned off in the front shes a 3 door and quite highly modified so not chance of her being sold lol :rotfl:

We had an MG ZR when Charlie was born and we put his car seat on the front passsenger seat as we didnt have an airbag on that side. Was much easier although one of us had to climb in the back via the drivers side but it was so much easier to keep an eye on him with him next to me than looking in the mirror all the time to check he was okay.
We now have a 5 door Vauxhall Meriva but he cant go in the front now because of the airbag, which is a shame really as I miss talking to him but I have a seperate mirror instead just for him and he now knows when I am watching him and just squeals!!!

Never put your baby seat in the front even if the air bags are turned off, there could be a fault that may cause the air bag to go off, and having had a head on accident in my car i will never have a 3 door car with a baby or put my child in the front seat untill he is out of booster seats

I have travelled with Ewan in the front a couple of times but have found it a constant distraction from my driving.

With a three door car if you have an accident it is very hard to get your child out of the back quickly, especially if the seats have jammed.

Speaking to a fire officer he said the saftest place you can but your baby seat is to fit it in the rear of the car in the middle of the seat if possible then baby is away from all impact areas, The front is the most hit place in an accident.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back