3 or 5 door car?

When Lucy was born we had a 3 door car. It wasn't too bad and we managed fine for the year till I was back at work and we were able to get a second car. I definitely found it better when she was smaller and the bigger she got the more awkward it was. But all in all I didn't hate it or anything. I do love my 5 door car and think it is so much better but we still have the 3 door and use it sometimes. I could live with it if I had to.

If I were you I wouldn't worry about rushing to get a 5 door, yes keep your eyes open for what you want but I think you'll certainly cope short term if you don't manage to get one straight away!

we had a 3 door car when i first had jack but now have a 5 door car and i have to say its alot easier

Beany said:
Skodas are a 'value for money' car really and have air conditioning and all the rest of it.

I have a Fabia too and love it!

Lots of people seem to enjoy mocking it but it is brilliant car - really good value for money, so economical loads of space for a hatchback and a huge boot you can fit everything and the kitchen sink in!

Since Skoda was bought by Volkswagon I don't think you can fault them on an engineering front but they are significantly cheaper than other Volkswagon cars (and I think they look nicer as well!) :D

I've currently got a 3 door punto and its great with my baby cus he goes in the front with me (airbag disabled). I love driving with him next to me so if he dribbles or has a bit of sicky I can mop it up. Now he's a bit more alert he actually turns his head a watches me drive!!

Hubby has a 5 door mondeo (we call it a MUNDANEO cus its such a dull family car!!) which is good if we all go out or for shopping cus of its huge boot.

Hubby has just bought me a Ford Focus which also has 3 doors cus my punto is getting a bit old (If anyone wants a cheap car let me know!! :wink: :wink: :wink: ) .

When our daughter was born I drove a 5 door ford fiesta and it was ok if it was just me and dd, leg room in the back was terrible and her seat wouldn't fit in the back, when we got a forward facing seat, she sat in the back, but as she grew there was no room for her legs. So we sold this and now have a 4x4 5 door Ssangyong Musso, which is great, has plenty of leg room, a massive boot and can easily accomodate our second child.

We also have a 3 door Audi, which I am going to be going back to for a while, but the main reason for me driving the Ssangyong was the our dd's legs were hitting the back of my seat, so it's only going to be a temporary measure, I'm also not looking forward to strapping dd in when my belly is big with our second child on the way!

Friends have the Laguna and say how good that is, plenty of space.

Good luck with your car search.

I have just bought a new car as Im returning to the UK and my hubby will be selling our current car in France (as its a left hand drive).

I decided on a freelander........5 door, and diesel. Reason being I have a dog and obviously baby due albeit a few months yet, so wanted something practical for dog & baby.

I always had 3 door coupe style cars previously and there was just no way I was going to try to get a baby and dog sitting together on the back seats, or break my back trying to do so!!!

I have a 3 door renault clio, new one, with stupidly low suspension, tinted windows, upgraded everything... boot full of sound system. I am SICK of having to put LO in the front, and buggy in the back seats as I have no boot at all!!! Totally un baby friendly!!

Totally un-practical!! OH has some stupidly fast subaru thing...

Im getting a 5 door golf GT TDI... Tried the buggy in the boot of a friends and it fits, and tried the carseat too... fits fine.

I'm making my OH sell his GTO so i can have a new car. I had a lowered Corsa with sound system etc which he made me sell so it's only fair. Only i'm so stuck as to what to buy! I wanna Renault Megane Scenic like my sister but it's a bit too big for me. I think he wants me to have a Golf TDI too. I'm just really fussy. He can't understand why i have to have a 5 door but it's my demand, my car!

Im glad you said the fabia was perfect for you beany as we are getting ours tomorrow :D both me & the OH currently have 3 door cards & i made sure he realised, mainly by talking to our friends with kids, that 3 doors isnt practical... i cant wait to have it as it will be our "family car" :D

Small Flower said:
Thanks ladies, I'm defo sold on the 5 car now!

Just panicing a bit now as need to find a car in the next 4-7 wks, and I've already been looking for months!

I bought my Freelander on Ebay, unseen from a dealer! I did ask them to service it for me, so I had a report back on any issues! I also paid for them to deliver it, so when we came back from France last weekend it was waiting on the drive for me! Whole process took 3 days to sort out!!

So maybe an idea if you get really stuck, although if you find one locally you can of course go and see it before buying it!

Ive got a 3 door corsa but wish i had gone for a 5 door instead (didnt think of when i had children) Cant afford to change it now so will have to make do!

Claire x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back