Thinking of breast feeding.

PrincessPeanut

Reaction score
Hiya,

I'm recently new to the forums here and recently pregnant (11 wks tomorrow) so this is probably a bit premature being on these boards but I have a niggling question that I'll ask my midwife about but that seems to be ages away.
I'm wanting to breastfeed but my left nipple is inverted (right one is fine) :roll: I've read bits and pieces on the internet about successfully breast feeding when you're like this but I'm wondering if any of you ladies here actually have first hand experience and what you can tell me about it? Did you succed? Did the nipple eventually come out etc?

xxx

Hey sorry no advice but I think I've seen a device in boots that "sucks" the nipple out to aid breastfeeding but I don't think you need it. Isla latches no problem with soft nipples.

Hope someone comes along with some advice.
Emma x

Hi, not got experience myself but know someone who bought the device esoames is talking about. She didn't need to use it after the first couple of weeks but swore by it.

Ask who your local breastfeeding team are and get in touch, they should do antenatal education and will be able to help. It's not too early either to think about it and research.

I bought a few breastfeeding books when I was pregnant thinking i would read then when I was off with baby - fat chance! Wish I'd read them through pregnancy. It helps you be better prepared.

As for breastfeeding - it's awesome! I'm doing it now as I type! Xxx

so am i :) its hard work to start with but i love it now!! ive got no experience of the inverted nipple tho xx

My left nipple isn't completely inverted but is flat and Lizzie finds it fine and pulls it right out! Also when I use my pump it makes it about an inch long (freaked me out the first time I saw it like that lol!). You could always try feeding from your right boob and expressing your left, then once your LO is established with breastfeeding and wanting more than what's in your right boob you could give the expressed stuff in a bottle.
Tbh though I think your LO will know how to 'pull it out' to get the good stuff :)

Same as Becky - my left nipple was very flat/slighty inverted. Was a bit of a pain to start with and one of those sucky things would have probably helped. But once LO got the hang of it we had no probs and infact my nipple now sticks out like the other side even when not feeding. Like ROL said it's worth talking to the local support people about it so they can help you through the first few days which can be tough. Good luck, enjoy the rest of your pregnancy :)

I had a bf advisor and she said its not the actual nipple that babies use to suck its the area around so everyone can bf xx

Thanks for all your replies. I feel a lot more confident just reading your replies. I'll speak to my midwife. I'm sure she'll point me in the right direction. I've been worrying about it for year and now I'm actualyl pregnant has got me more worried than ever that I won't be able to BF.
Thank you :) xxx

My best friend has very inverted nipples and her 1 week old is feeding like a pro! She uses medela breast shields. And they work very well for her! So you will be ok! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back