mixed feeding

confuzed 88

Reaction score
hi ladies, need some advice..i feel like im going to go mad really soon...my son is now 1month old and im thinking about mixed feeding.. im breastfeeding at the moment and even after i feed him from both sides he still seems to be hungry :s and when he's like that he is a nightmare to put to sleep and constantly wants the boob :( i was thinking maybe to top him up with a bottle but how do i go abt it? or maybe introducing one bottle feed in the day as i need to go to finish off some assesments at college... also maybe bottle feed when im out shopping as i cant whip my boob out everywhere..but im worried about leaking boobs as its bad enuf already so will missing a boob feed make me leak more in public??....i know it seems like a ramble..hope it makes sense.. just wanted to know how do i start mix feedin..really need my sanity during the day, i dont mind boob feeding at night as he seems to feed better at night :S i know it sounds silly but he feeds n falls asleep but its just during the day he never seems to feed enough!

Those first few weeks are the hardest. I had the same thoughts, I was worried she was always hungry. Alot of the time its the comfort side of things they like, so when. They come of they wonder where their comfort is. I tried a dummy at this point, but Isla refused it.

Missing a feed will have an affect on your boobs, but they soon adjust.

Not sure what else to say! How's the weight gain? Is it good? I worried but then Isla grew at every weigh in.

Emma x

Can't add any more than Emma has said real. We used to do 1 formula feed at night, mainly to give me a rest and get some sleep but in the Oscar rejected the bottle anyways, now I'm glad of this coz it could've gone the other way.

I really wouldn't worry if baby is getting enough, unfortunately cluster feeding is what they do at that age. Is he coming off the boob and crying as if still hungry, or is he happy to just stay latched on for hours? If so it's defo cluster feeding.

Things even out with breast feeding around 3ish months, then again at 4/5 months and again after 6 months when solids are introduced properly.

Oscar now has 3 feeds a day and never really asks for boob, I just offer it 3 times a day coz I know milk is still more important than food but he'd probably go from morning to night without the lunchtime feed!

xxxxx

Oh meant to say, I never fed in public after I left the hospital after having Oscar. I always fed at home or in the car or in another room if we were at someones. Nothing wrong with nursing in public, but when Oscar was that young feeds could go on for bloody ages so I just used to work out how long I'd have before I thought he'd feed again and get out then coz it was easier to set up camp on the sofa for hours lol

The first few weeks are definitely the hardest but the more you feed, the faster your boobs will catch up. I'm still feeding Lilly now and sometimes I've really wanted to give up but Lilly would never take formula so I had no choice but in the end, I'm really glad I didn't :) good luck hun, and stick with it if you can.

Xxx

As you have leaky boobs but are complaining about little one always wanting to be on you I am wondering what weight gain is like?

Normally you feel empty if they feed so often and leak when they sleep too long!

Also I find that if I express in the morning my boobs are not as full/leaky during the day.

As for combo feeding I am afraid I have no clue hun sorry xx

I combi fed and it was the best (for us). My milk was REALLY late coming in and so we fombi fed. Initially I never fed in public went out inbetween feeds but then when we did go out I would use a carton and use 20 million breast pads lol!! And then a bottle in the evening...........to give me a break or sometime during the night. Meant phil could feed J as well!! Also J was the aame never satisfied after a feed! X

he's gaining weight well according to hv etc i meant leaky boobs when we're out shopping as he asleep and not feeding at that time..fresh air zonks him out :D i am usually empty after he has a feed, but he still wants the boob..i just dont get it :( i though if it for comfort il give him the dummy..he doesnt want the dummy :(
im in such a pickle...
for eg im going out for lunch with a friend tomoro, im going to feed him before we leave...hopefully car journey and fresh air will put him to sleep buy then by the time we're back home (2hour) il be leaking all over my clothes..hope it makes sense..i ramble alot lol

Could u take a hand pump out and nip to a feeding room to releive some pressure?? Also qith regards to dummy try a variety of dummies in different textues and shapes before you disregard a dummy. For example, J hated the orthodontic ones and then we randomly tried an old fashioned 'cherry' style and it was a god send!!!!!!! After 6 months he had the silk ones from MAM all orthodontic!! X

hmm good idea! i was trying the tommee tipee ones, as soon as i put it in his mouth he was making choking noises..scared the hell out of me! should i speak to gp at my 6week appt about mixed feeding??

Well when we told gps/hvs/mws etc about mixed feeding they weren't very supportive and they would say 'what's the point of having the 'faff' of bottles as wellk as bfeeding' erm but that was just our experience. we carried on as we were and did as we chose...... There are also ways in which to increase milk supply which might help if you were desperate to bfeed all the time but you might have to start a new thread about that or pm RayOfLight. Otherwise with regards to the leaking thing might just have to be something u put up with for a while...soRry......wear a lot of black!!! X

If your baby is putting on weight and you are leaking in between feeds it sounds as if you have plenty of milk. Missing feeds or introducing formula will just reduce your milk. He's probably just using you for comfort. Arthur is he dame sometimes. Xx

Oscar would never take a dummy either, sometimes for a few minutes then spit it out.

And don't worry about thinking your boobs are empty, you might think they are, might not even be able to hand express any out or anything but baby will get milk!!

Also, do you use breast pads?

I still leak, even after 8 months and boobs regulated now. If I don't wear a breast pad, when I feed Oscar the opposite boob leaks loads! So i still have to use them every day!

oh yeee! i use loads of breast pads..im constantly leaking :( i thoughtmaybe its crappy breast pads! and i always wake up with a wet patch on the bed sheets and my clothes
im thinking maybe use bottle as and when needed..went to gp, she said to stick to breastfeeding for now..

and when j is feeding, he pulls away sometimes and my boobs is spraying milk everywhere lol goes all over his poor face and clothes

and when j is feeding, he pulls away sometimes and my boobs is spraying milk everywhere lol goes all over his poor face and clothes

Mine do this to Oscar too lol. He just lay there with milk spraying his face and is not even phased by it lol It's like a milk fountain lol

Sounds like you defo have a good supply anyways and baby is gaining weight nicely so I wouldn't be worried about anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back