The MMR jab

beanie said:
nope i am more then old enough to remember measles, rubella and mumps - had them all. Was quite ill with measles, but it came at a time when I was having all sorts of tests for food allergies, and I had been ill with that for a bit before hand so I think my poor immune system was not at its best so I didn't handle measles well.

poor you :hug: :hug: its a really horrible virus - we knew a little girl who contracted encephalitis from it and was deaf afterwards. 20% of all reported cases of measles result in complications :(

can i ask where you got the 20% statistic from?

i can hardly remember being ill, i think it had a longer lasting effect on my mum then me :)

beanie said:
can i ask where you got the 20% statistic from?

my dad's a doctor and i read his bmj when i go home to visit :) i can't remember what they included as complications though, as obviously they vary from diarrhoea to encephalitis. the upshot of the article was that measles is one of the biggest killers of children in developing countries.

lol i found it online, though some say 10% others say 20%

the upshot of the article was that measles is one of the biggest killers of children in developing countries.

95% of measles fatalities occur in developing countries, which makes me coiunt my blessings that we have our NHS (no matter how much it makes me bash my head against the wall at timea)

It is a very difficult decision and one I constantly reassess, even more so now I have Cally, and am having to go through the jab rigmarole all over again.

Its virtually impossible to get non biased information, so all I can do is read it all and go with my gut feeling.

in my day :roll: kids were sent to 'mumps parties' and 'chicken pox parties' so they would catch the diseases when they were young and healthy enough to recover quickly and not remember it and gain natural immunity

when i told the health visitor that her head almost blew off !!

i know someone who swears the mmr caused her little brothers autism ....

hype or not i dont want to risk it if theres an alternative

purple13 said:
the crohn's/bowel problems were also 'discovered' by dr wakefield in conjunction with the autism scare. they've been discounted so many times, but once the seed of doubt is sewn - :roll:

I discussed this with my consultant at the time... mind you this was 8 years ago when the research had just come out and people didn't know then what they know now about Dr. Wakefields research :) Based on the information at hand and doctors advice at that time I chose not to have it done...but purely because I had Crohns... if I didn't have it... Tia would have had the jab because tbh... measles is quite a virulent disease and the complications are great. And as MrsTommo said... you know when your LO has autism from the start... you always know when your child is different from the ordinary.

Now we know that the research isn't correct, then I would decide based on current research... but I am lucky because I don't need to make that decision... :wink:

I remember chicken pox parties too... I still think they are a good idea... better to get the itchin over with when they are too young to scratch. :wink:

TBH im suprised this topic caused so much contraversy(sp), thanks for every ones opinions tho :D

IMO I dont think ill be getting babes vaccinated as i feel that the risks outweigh the benefits, id rather Oliver get infected naturally if he does rather than forcing these on him, as i say its a personal choice and i appreciate every ones choice

ALTHOUGH I DO THINK THAT THE SINGLE VACCINES IS A FANTASTIC IDEA

I think nearly all of us worry whether to go ahead with the MMR jab or not.

I researched the invididual jabs and couldn't find anything that convinced me that they were any safer than the MMR jab so we went ahead with the MMR. My son was absolutely fine after it and has been since. I will do the same for my next baby.

Did your baby have the early immunisations at 2,3 4 months?

Measles can have really awful consequences, it's a serious illness. I think you should consider the invididual jabs at the very least.

Sorry I know it's all down to personal choice but I think we shouldn't under estimate how serious childhood illnesses can be.

On the topic of chicken pox parties, I think a lot of people still do them. I'd much rather my child caught it earlier rather than later when they know more about it.

beanie said:

the upshot of the article was that measles is one of the biggest killers of children in developing countries.

95% of measles fatalities occur in developing countries, which makes me coiunt my blessings that we have our NHS (no matter how much it makes me bash my head against the wall at timea)

The whole reason we live in such a disease free country with such a low child mortality rate is due to antibiotics and vaccinations. If we all stopped giving them to our children it would soon return to the kind of situation we had a hundred years ago.

Bagpuss17 said:
I think nearly all of us worry whether to go ahead with the MMR jab or not.

I researched the invididual jabs and couldn't find anything that convinced me that they were any safer than the MMR jab so we went ahead with the MMR. My son was absolutely fine after it and has been since. I will do the same for my next baby.

Did your baby have the early immunisations at 2,3 4 months?

Measles can have really awful consequences, it's a serious illness. I think you should consider the invididual jabs at the very least.

Sorry I know it's all down to personal choice but I think we shouldn't under estimate how serious childhood illnesses can be.

On the topic of chicken pox parties, I think a lot of people still do them. I'd much rather my child caught it earlier rather than later when they know more about it.

Oliver did get his earlier vaccinations,

I am definitly not getting him done, this is going to cause arguments but my reasons are:

The autism 'link'
Some contain mercury
no proof to say how long the immunity stays in your Lo body, if its naturally contracted they ARE immune for life
Also if its SO safe why didnt tony blair have his 3 children vaccinated?
Also they use lung tissue from 14week old fetus' in some of their formulae, not my type of thing at all thats cruel IMHO

Hellokitty said:
beanie said:

The whole reason we live in such a disease free country with such a low child mortality rate is due to antibiotics and vaccinations. If we all stopped giving them to our children it would soon return to the kind of situation we had a hundred years ago.

Coldnt agree more, and what about children who are immunosupressed, cant have the vaccine and then go on to catch measles on top of....say....leukemia. EVERYTHING carries a risk, to the point we would stop going out if we analysed the dangers too much.
It is very much a personal decsision, both of my older girls had the mmr and freya will also be having it. I believe now that there is a much higher risk of her contracting measles mumps or german measles than her becoming autistic, and looking at the bigger picture, I think it is a far better choice than not having her immunised.
"Independent expert groups around the world, including the World Health Organisation and the Department of Health, agree that the MMR vaccination is preferable to having three separate injections.

There is no evidence to suggest that separate vaccines are safer than the MMR vaccination, and having single vaccines could put your child at risk of catching the diseases in the gaps between vaccines. The MMR vaccination gives children the best protection against catching measles, mumps, and rubella which are serious, and potentially fatal, diseases." (NHS Direct)
Single vaccines are not licensed in the UK, and have not passed the UK's safety and effectiveness testing (Bupa factsheet mmr)

http://www.healthprotection.org.uk/ncbu ... risks.html This link is a table comparing the health risks of having the vaccine and not.

Such a hard decsision to make, good luck :hug:

EllieG said:
Hellokitty said:
beanie said:

Coldnt agree more, and what about children who are immunosupressed, cant have the vaccine and then go on to catch measles on top of....say....leukemia. EVERYTHING carries a risk, to the point we would stop going out if we analysed the dangers too much.

I think that the fact we live in a country with clean water supplies and good food also has a lot to do with the decline in measles.

And I know I am going to sound selfish but I personally am putting my child first and doing what I feel is best for her welfare. I persoanlly think this herd immunity thing is a load of bollocks but at the end of the day in my eyes my children come first sorry.

Mine have all had it and I would never have considered otherwise.

I cannot understand how anybody would not vaccinate their child, at least with the separate injections. It's about protecting your child, not about taking away your parental rights :wall: :wall:

Herd protection is not boll*x, it's the reason we have been able to control this potentially deadly disease.

I fully agree with the decision not to allow a child in school without the vaccine. In France this has been the policy for years.

Thank goodness the majority of the population are informed enough to get their kids vaccinated.

I haven't insulted you for choosing to vaccinate so why refer to me as uninformed. Do you know why I have made this decision, do you know what reading I have done?? No so don't be rude and say I am uninformed. You are perfectly entitled to your point of view and I am enjoying reading everyones view on this but don't insult me.

I have made the decisions I have felt necessary to protect both my children, have breastfed them, gave them a good diet, done activities so they are active etc etc. They have had some of their vaccinations so I am not anti vacc. I have just chosen not to give the mmr for my own reasons. And I do think that the decision to make it compulsory to have the mmr before school is taking away our parental cjhoices - I hardly trust them to run the bloody country let alone make the right choices for my child.

beanie said:
I haven't insulted you for choosing to vaccinate so why refer to me as uninformed. Do you know why I have made this decision, do you know what reading I have done?? No so don't be rude and say I am uninformed. You are perfectly entitled to your point of view and I am enjoying reading everyones view on this but don't insult me.

I have made the decisions I have felt necessary to protect both my children, have breastfed them, gave them a good diet, done activities so they are active etc etc. They have had some of their vaccinations so I am not anti vacc. I have just chosen not to give the mmr for my own reasons. And I do think that the decision to make it compulsory to have the mmr before school is taking away our parental cjhoices - I hardly trust them to run the bloody country let alone make the right choices for my child.

Sorry you feel insulted and that my comments were directed at you (did I say that? :think: ) My comment was about parents who decide not to vaccinate at all. Whether it's the MMR or the individual vaccines. How you choose to do it is completely individual. I do, however, feel that parents who refuse to do it at all cannot possibly be very well informed. It doesn't take much Googling to access the wealth of information on the subject, and it seems to me (unless I've been reading in the wrong place) that the benefits of these vaccines (or this vaccine) far outway any risks.

Obviously there are exceptional cases where the child may have a medical condition which increases any risk, this is obvious - and this is where 'herd protection' comes into play. This concept is not b*llocks, its a tried and tested, and extremely well documented theory, backed up my some complex maths. It's proven itself - we erradicated smallpox, are working towards erradication of polio, and have significantly reduced the incidence of TB. It works, there's no doubting it.

As for the comment about the government. Fair cop! I don't have to live in the UK but if I did I might feel the same way about their abilities :lol:

beanie said:
EllieG said:
Hellokitty said:
beanie said:

I think that the fact we live in a country with clean water supplies and good food also has a lot to do with the decline in measles.

Measles (mumps and rubella) is a virus spread by saliva/sneezing etc. Its aetiology is in no way connected to cleanliness of water supplies or food.

If you choose not to vaccinate your children then remember that girls will require a rubella vaccination before they reach child-bearing age as they won't be offered it in school like most of us were.

I can't believe how aggressive everyone is getting on this thread! I also feel that there is a lot of brain-washing put out by the government..if they want you to believe something then they will make you believe it. Most of the websites are from the NHS (government organisation) and newspaper websites (again they just re-ierate what the government say).

I am by no means a pharmacologist, but I have worked as a research scientist in the past and I know that you would never publish a paper unless you were 100% sure of the findings, and they also gets read and approved by another scientist; if this was just a load of old rubbish then why didn't it get rejected? I am sure that in the field of medicine the rules are even more stringent, because you have your reputation on the line...and again I feel it's horrendous that this doctor who may have found an important link has been treated so badly.

I feel it's appalling that people are agreeing that a child shouldn't be allowed to enter school without being vaccinated...we're supposed to live in a democracy not a dictatorship!

Hellokitty said:
beanie said:
EllieG said:
Hellokitty said:
beanie said:

Measles (mumps and rubella) is a virus spread by saliva/sneezing etc. Its aetiology is in no way connected to cleanliness of water supplies or food.

If you choose not to vaccinate your children then remember that girls will require a rubella vaccination before they reach child-bearing age as they won't be offered it in school like most of us were.

my apologies - i meant reduction in measles fatalities not actual cases of measles.

and yhep if we decide not to get my daughterts vacc'd they will have rubella at 14

Austin's having his next Thursday. IMO the risks of not having it outweigh any potential suspected risks associated with it.

Although one of Austin's friends had his MMR 4 months ago and has since had Rubella and Measles bless him.

Sammystar said:
Thank goodness the majority of the population are informed enough to get their kids vaccinated.

Brainwashed more like!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back