The Book Club

Riley's Mommy

Reaction score
i thought for those of us who have the time to read, it might be nice to start a book club. where we can discuss books and make reviews of books we have recently read. something that others can read to decide if they would like to read the book, without giving away too much of the story. :)

what do you think?

maby we could use a stencil thing to fill out like this? :

Author:

Title:

Genre:

Review:

anyone interested?

I would be too, I've about 12 weeks before the birth so plenty of time to read (remember you can always borrow library books instead of buying them). I have to say I've tried this on another forum I used to be part of and initally it took off but people didn't read the books or give their views on it etc. I'd certinally be up for it though.

I would be! I love reading :cheer:

Happy Chick.......I ordered Stuarts book on Sunday, just waiting for it to arrivel.
Hopefully it should be here tomorrow (best get the housework done now! :wink:

Nicola said:
I would be too, I've about 12 weeks before the birth so plenty of time to read (remember you can always borrow library books instead of buying them). I have to say I've tried this on another forum I used to be part of and initally it took off but people didn't read the books or give their views on it etc. I'd certinally be up for it though.

we dont have to all read the same book. but once we have read a book, we tell others about it, so they have the choice to read it if they like the sound of it :D then there is no worry of people thinking 'oh i dont want to do this anymore, i dont like that genre ect. its all about the joy of reading :D

yeah great :D I love reading!!!
I've got 2 books on the go at the moment :D

Anyone else a member of readitswapit???

never heard of it hun. is it like a book club? and im guessing where you swap your books.

meezie had a similar idea on msn about a send it on type thing. ill let her explain :)

yeah its really good!!! the amount of books i get through i cant afford to keep buying new!!!

Great. so it looks like a few of us are intereseted :D

who is going to be the first to make a review :D

Author: Dave Pelzer

Title: A child called IT

Genre: Biography

Review:

This is a touching story of a little boy who was badly abused by his alcoholic mother. He became the target of her anger. Exciled to the basement, to live on an army cot. His brothers picked on him, in the hope of staying in there mothers good books. He only ate when she let him, and his brothers would often try to set him up. The things he encountered are monsterous. Many of time the events brought a tear to my eye. His father powerless to save him, he was on his own. It is a story of courage and survival. He is nearly left for dead a number of times.

With the help from concerned school teachers, he manages to start a new life, but all is not as rosey as it seems, the scars are still very raw.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was one of the few books i couldnt put down.

Would reccomend this to anyone, and will deffinately read it again in the future.

im not very good at writing. but thought id get the ball rolling. hopefully, if this takes off, it will help to improve my english skills :)

keslo66 said:
meezie had a similar idea on msn about a send it on type thing. ill let her explain :)

Thanks Steph ;)

My idea was that we could put a comment at the end of our review saying if we would be prepared to send it on. Obviously postage will be less than we would pay for a book ourselves. If two people want to exchange books there is only the cost of the postage involved which would be balanced out by the postage paid on the book you receive. Might work? ;)

I've finshed two in the past 2 weeks: Here's the first one:

Author: Josephine Cox

Title: The Beachcomber

Genre: womens fiction

Review: Set in the summer of 1942, The Beachcomber has two protagonists from disparate social settings, but both sharing the sense that something crucial is missing from their lives. In the quiet seaside town of West Bay, Tom Arnold is coming to terms with what many would deem a rash action--he has walked away from a prestigious job after his wife and children were killed when the car he was driving was forced off a precipitous cliff road by another motorist. Tom is convinced that the driver (who has never been tracked down) intended to destroy them all. As Tom contemplates his bleak future, Kathy Wilson similarly struggles with a sense of loss after a terrible argument with her mother brings home to her how unfulfilling her life of loneliness is. She has inherited a down-at-heel house in West Bay. Inevitably, the two find each other, and it's here that Cox's top-notch skills as a romantic writer are truly in their element. We are made to care for both of these well-drawn characters, and even without the return of the killer who destroyed Tom's family, we would still be pretty comprehensively gripped by the narrative. Josephine Cox fans will not need anyone to tell them that this is choice stuff—their favourite author is up to her usual standard

Beachcomber.jpg
- Happy to swap/post on to any interested parties.

Author: Faye Kellerman

Title: Stone Kiss

Genre: Thriller

Review: 'It was the stunned, pale look of bad news' The call was from Rabbi Jonathan Levine, Decker's recently discovered half brother. There has been a murder in Jonathan's family; his brother-in-law, a Hassidic Jew and former drug addict, was found naked in a seedy Manhattan hotel, a single gunshot wound to his head. And his niece, fifteen-year-old Shaynda, is missing...In a desperate bid to track down the missing girl, Decker finds himself in an alien city and a maze of deceit and danger, on a twisted journey that takes him from the darkened slums of New Jersey and the deserted industrial streets of New York, to the hidden meeting places of Hassidic outcasts...

stonekiss.jpg
- Happy to swap/pass on to anyone who's interested

Why don't you start a yahoo/msn group? If no ones prepared to, I dont mind doing it? Rather than relying on the same thread, just a suggestion :D

By the way I'd recommend the lovely bones by Alison Seabold to everyone, it is a beautiful, moving, and sad book. Has anyone read it? It's my fave book of all time! I would pass it on, but ive already swapped it on readitswapit :?

I've read Lovely Bones (ages ago) my Mum recommended it to me and I thought "humm" looking at it and didn't think I'd enjoy it but I did and quite literally finished it within 24 hours of starting it.

I'm not signed up to MSN or Yahoo but maybe a group would be a good idea?? Else perhaps this thread could become a sticky so we don't loose it? It could always be made non-sticky if it became inactive??

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back