The Book Club

thanks libs :) that looks quite good. ive not heard of the author before, but i will have to jot the name and title down :)

ive not read any of jilly cooper before either.

Jilly Cooper is complete trash ...but better trash than most trash writers :D

Huge series covering god knows how many years - lots of yummy men and scandal. Complete fantasy land...rich horse riders, tv execs..but not as out of this world as Jackie Collins or the others. I remember asking Mum to bring in Riders and Rivals to me when I was in hospital for weeks before having Josh. I can read a normal book in a night but Jilly Cooper's huuuuuuge books take me a couple of days

Riders
Rivals
Polo
Man who made husbands jealous
Appassionata
Scandal
Don't think I've missed any... :D

Misslarue said:
I would be! I love reading :cheer:

Happy Chick.......I ordered Stuarts book on Sunday, just waiting for it to arrivel.
Hopefully it should be here tomorrow (best get the housework done now! :wink:

Great stuff hun, its sold more copies than any other book of its kind he told me yesterday :D He also signed a deal for his second book 'finding stuart' recently too so watch out for that :)

He's a very brave man... I'll add my review on that soon

Author: Stuart Howarth

Title: Please, Daddy No

Genre: True story

Review:
This is a truly heartbreaking story - Whilst reading Stuarts book I think I felt every emotion possible, from laughing to crying and anger to sorrow.

This tragic story is told from the heart & gives you a look into the life of a young boy who was mentally & physically abused by his step-father, after years of torment and built up emotion he exploded leading to his step-fathers murder. Whilst in prison he was abused by the prison guards and suffered hugely this lead to him suing the home office & strangeways and winning the case.

Stuart bravely faught back and made the decision that he would no longer be a trapped victim, over time he has put the past to the back of his mind and concentrated on the future.

I can't imagine the pain & suffering that Stuart must have gone through, this book opens your eyes to a world unimaginable to the lucky people who havent been abused. It has been written to make people aware of the abuse that goes on in many seemingly happy homes & to help other sufferers to have the courage to speak out & the knowledge that they are not alone.

This is a great book, I have ultimate respect for Stuart having told his story to the world to help other sufferers and your ongoing work to counsel and support other victims.

He is also a friend of mine, I really do recommend this book to you.

The Shopaholic books by Sophie Kinsella are really good, she had a baby in the latest one too:)

They are about her trying to manage money etc although she loves shopping, and about her everyday adventures, but funny as she's an amusing character I could identify with.

The books are a series of 5, this is the first one ttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Secret-Dreamworl ... 912&sr=8-2 I'd highly recommends them for anyone who wants something therapeutically amusing to escape into for a few days :)

I'm currently reading a different book by another author, will finish it next week probably, and post my thoughts :)

Author: Jools Oliver

Title: Minus nine to one

Genre: ?

Review: This is the diary of an honest mum(Jools Oliver). From trying to concieve to her first positive pregnancy test through to her daughter Poppy's first birthday. I really enjoyed this book as it is really quite funny and an easy read. I read this book whilst TTC but I would really recommend this book to any mum or future mum.

thanks for your reviews ladies :)

please daddy no sounds really good. the type of books i like reading at the moment :)

ive just finnished torey haydens one child. ill write a review later when i have more time (have to nip out soon )

anyone know the second book torey released? id like to read it :)

Author: Tory Hayden

Title: One Child

Genre: True life

Review:

After accepting a job teachin troubed children, Tory hayden realised what a challenge it would be. The maximun amount of kids she is alloud to teach is 8. So she is abit concerned when they place Sheila with her. A child who commited a horrible crime and has been placed with Tory until a place opens in the state hospital for her.

This child is wild. She goes mad, and attacks the goldfish.

Tory works very hard to get near to this child, and eventually 'tames' her.

I found myself almost jumping for joy at each milestone achieved. This book captured me, and i didnt want to put it down.

They had to fight the odds to keep Sheila in Torys class, rather than being transferred to the state hospital.

i found myself most upset when i finnished the book, for 2 reasons.

1. That it had Finnished
2. That it didnt tell me as much as i would have liked about how Sheila progressed.

Saying that, i managed to find on the internet, Tory haydens website, which if you click on the link to the book, it tells us about what has now become of all of the charecters in the book.

I couldnt reccomend this book enough. i look forward to reading more of her material.

Ive been away for ages and just reading through the threads and saw this one. Its a great idea Ilove reading.
I going to join the yahoo group is that what everyone else has done???
xxx

everyone is just using this thread now hun :)

maby if it gets popular enough, it could be made into a sticky :)

Blood Ties
Sam Hayes

General fiction

I haven't even finished this yet - so apologies if its turns to into a load of rubbish at the end (I'll let you know tonight :D )

Jan 1992 a baby girl is left alone for a minute - long enough for a mother to dash into a shop (please please don't start the debate again :wink: ) long enough for a child to be snatched

13 years later - a london solicitor wonders why his wife won't allow his stepdaughter to take up a place at a prestigious school. Becoming suspicious, he starts to dig deeper into her past...

V twisty and turny, leaves you constantly changing your mind about whats going on and who is lying...

o0o0o that sounds interesting hun :)

heres my recent read, took me ages to finish it, as i just didnt enjoy it

Author: Constance Briscoe

Title: Ugly

Genre: True life

Review:

This book litterally revolves around this girl, nicknamed clearie (as if she doesnt exist/is seethrough) wetting the bed, and her mother beating her up for it.

she is determined to become a barrister, even though he mother says she isnt smart enough.

abandoned with her 2 sisters, she has to work 2 jobs around school hours, to pay for the bills ect.

very dull book, and i got the impression alot was exaduated purely to make a selling book.

i wouldnt reccomend this book at all. as i said, it took me ages to finnish, purely because i did not have the desire to read it.

next book to review will be a Teenagers journey by richard pelzer. it is a spin off of the child called it series, and is the second book written by davids brother

been meaning to post this for a couple of weeks now :oops:

Aurther: Cathy Kelly

Title: Past Secrets

Genre: Fiction

Review: The theme of this story revolves around a number of female characters who live on Summer Street in Dublin. That is the only thing they have in common. The book tells their individual stories although they do 'intermingle' in each others stories if you know what i mean. They all have something in their past which they are now forced to confront.

The story, which began with one of the characters, was quite slow to start and I nearly gave up reading it. When the next character was introduced I found it began to hold my interest and I read the whole book- and very glad I did too. I would describe it as light entertainment, no twists or turns. My favorate thing about the book is how the aurthor got into the mind of the character and made them feel like real women. I got to the end of the book and wanted to continue reading! I am definately going to try and get hold of other books by the same author.

I've just finished this book:

Title: Kaitlyn
Author: Kevin Lewis

it's about a brother and sister who were living on a rough estate in Sth London with an abusive father, the brother was was taken into care after being severly beaten and was then adopoted when he was about 2 years old, it follows the lives of them as they grow up and how their lives panned out, I'm not gonna put too much detail cause it spoils the story but I will say that it was really good and is based on true experiences.

I wanna try and get the authors other book

I have trouble getting books over here as they are too expensive so I rely on family bringing them or tourists leaving me theirs.

Wicked thread everyone- I love reading! I'm so sad though I won't give them away or swap, I keep every book so that when I'm rich I can have a massive library! :oops:
My genre is fiction, thriller, crime although I do like Jilly Copper and Maeve Binchy for a break sometimes.
I am very obsessive about books and if I read a new book and like it, I HAVE to have eveything the author's ever wrote, and shelved chronologically! SO SO sad :oops: But everyone has to have a hobby!
Hope I'm not too pathetic to be allowed to play :pray:

aw hun, im the same, i dont have many books, most i borrow from my sister or the library, so when i do get a book for myself, i like to keep it to get a nice collection up :)

i look forward to reading your reviews :) its nice to see if a book is worth reading (wish someone reviewed ugly for me before i read it lol)

Title: Having it and eating it
Author: Sabine Durrant

20 years on Claire bumps into an old school 'friend' who always had what the others wanted, Claire has 2 small children and is a stay at home mum and feels drab and dowdy compared to her 'friend'. Claire thinks that her partner is having an affair and so the story continues about what Claire does. again cant say too much as spoils the story.

Nice easy reading, specially when you've just had a baby and your attention scan has gone downhill!!!!

I used to read at least 3-4 books a week and since last few weeks of pregnancy cant concentrate for more than a few pages, no matter how gripping the book! any one else found this?

yes ive found this too :) its so frustrating isnt it.

ill bear the sabine book in mind for when ive had the LO as i will need something easy to read :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back