The Book Club

A PIECE OF CAKE - Cupcake Brown

Following her mothers death, Cupcake was just 11 when she entered the child welfare system. Moved from 1 disastrous placement to the next she was, like so many, neglected and sexually abused. She developed a massive appetite for drugs and alcohol- an appetite fed by hustling abd turning tricks- and before long, stumbled headlong into the wild, notoriously dangerous world of the gansta.
But ironically, it was Cupcake's rapid descent into the nightmare of crack cocaine addiction that finally saved her. After 1 crack binge she woke up behing a dumpster. Half dressed and more than half dead, she finally knew she had to change her life or die.

Sorry to just copy the blurb but it tells it better that I could. This is not a book I would usualy read but it is fantastic. So easy to read and it actually made me laugh out loud and cry, I couldn't put it down. It was quite fast moving too as it tells her life from beginning til she's middle aged.

wots wrong with us? have you noticed the majority of books we've read are to do with child neglect/abuse. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yeah I know, I always say I hate that kind of book and yet I,ve read loads of them :roll:

Here's a possibly more cheerful one:-

"This book will save your life" by A.M.Homes. http://www.amazon.com/This-Book-Will-Sa ... 0670034932

A man who was living a very solitary life, has a health scare, and it brings him out of himself to reconnect with life and other people. Lots of bizarre, slightly comical and potentially stressful events start to happen to him. But instead of them stressing him out, he goes with the flow and gains a greater connection to his estranged son, and some new friends.

Basically a journey of a man becoming a happier human being.

------
I wouldn't recommend this book to those who've been finding concentration hard though, for those I would again recommend the ''Shopaholic'' books by Sophie Kinsella. :)

Another book on the go- a sillier one for you all next time :)

Don't know if any of you have read it ''How to kill your husband- (and other handy household hints)' by Kathy Lette? :D

cant wait for that review :lol: sounds like a good read :)

i agree with you tuck. they are very popular books. maby it is the shock factor which people enjoy.

personally, im not sure what it is that i enjoy about them. maby it is the fight for normality i like to see them overcome there problems, and get the life they long for.

Libs did you enjoy Blood ties?? I thought it was really good! Ive just finished reading it
Ive just started reading Rowan Coleman's the baby group. Ill put a review up in a bit.

xxx

I did - the ending was great and didn't disappoint at all :D

Just going through one of those phases where I can't settle to a book..have started to read 4 different books i the last two days and can't get into any of them. Think I'll have a break from reading for a day and then I'll probably be able to get into one of them :?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back