2nd chance( still readin)
3rd degree (not read yet)
4th of july (not read yet)
5th horseman (enjoyed this thourghly )
6th target is the latest one on sale.

i found these really good reads hard to put down

Emmylou said:
Hi Keslo,

Personally I'd find it easier to coming back on here, but thats just me......maybe do a poll? I think it'd make a great sticky :D

I'll see if my best friend has The Time Travellers Wife, and if she does (& has finished it & not passed it on) I'll let you know - I'm happy to forward it on if I can locate it :D

i have now added a poll :) id apprieciate it if everyone could vote :)

thanks for that :) it looks like a good book :D

if we were really nice maybe the the mods could create another section in the 'coffee break' section of the forum?? :D :D :D

that would be lovely. i suppose it all depends on how popular the thread gets. it seems we have a fair few readers amongst us, so you never know :D

Alfiesmummy said:
WHENS HARRY POTTER OUT !!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

July :lol:

Great thread. I believe there used to be a book section on coffee break but it was removed due to lack of interest :? Let's see how popular this thread is and we'll work on something.

I loved Time Travellers Wife and Lets talk about Kevin.

If you liked those, you might enjoy Perfume (soon to be a film) and The Red Tent, recommended to me by Dinski and I loved it :cheer:

I'm reading Pulse, the new Stephen King at the mo. It's a zombie book, and it's alright. I find a lot of his start great and then go a bit boring.... :?

iv heard someone mention that book lets talkn about kevion before is it good? whats it about?

I thought what they did on book cl;ubs sum1 suggests a book and every1 then reads it n discusses when every1 has finished? that wuld be fun

Author: Stephen King

Title: Cell

Genre: Horror

Review: One normal afternoon at 3 pm everybody using a mobile phone is subjected to a 'pulse' which wipes humanity from their brains. They respond with animal violence towards anybody, including their own kind. As with other Stephen King post-apocyliptic scenarios there is a bunch of survivors who try to find normality, and the affected population begin to 'evolve' with the ability to communicate via telepathy.

This book is good a escape, however, I did find it effected my dreams and had to remind myself that it didnt really happen. The story was intriguing at times but at some points it felt weak, for example an action or decision would seem out of character for a partucular person which made the story unbelievable (crazy i know, given the actual plot!) I couldnt help trying to compare it to The Stand (also by King) especially as some very familiar caricatures appear. The ending was a bit abrupt, which I normally hate, but in this case I think he definately finished it in the right place. I did at times think how the scenario could actually happen, especially in todays 'terrorist threat' climate.

Available for swaps if anybody can make me a good offer :wink:

Alfiesmummy said:
iv heard someone mention that book lets talkn about kevion before is it good? whats it about?

That might have been me :D I'm reading it at the mo and can't stop telling people about it, it is fantastic.

I'm just over half way through and am haing trouble putting it down now.

babysitting for a friend tonight so will deffinatly try and get through as much as I can.

I have the abortionist daughter to read after this.

xSuzx

xSuzx said:

Just you WAIT until the end!!!! It took my breath away, I loved it!

AM, it's about a mother coming to terms with her son's murder spree at his school where he killed 13 pupils. She writes letters to her estranged husband and reflects on her relationship with her son from his birth.

I read it when pregnant but it's a fascinating read for a mother, particularly with a son I think. :D

Author: Kate Long

Title: Queen Mum

Genre: Fiction

Review: The story is seen though the eyes of Ally whos neighbour is the perfect housewife with the perfect family about to go on a reality TV show similar to Wife Swap. While Ally doesnt try to compare herself to her perfect neighbour, Juno, she does find herself influenced by her, much to the amusement of her family. The show bursts a bubble which is the perfect world of Juno and her family to expose her as the control freak she really is. This helps Ally realise that she may not have the perfect famaily (far from it) but she wouldnt change thm for the world.

I wouldnt say this book was deep or got me thinking but it was what i would regard as light entertainment. If anything it got me thinking about the difficulties the production team must encounter when making Wifeswap!! I did find myself identifying with Ally, the humble but down-to-earth chracter, especially in contrast with the unbelieveblly perfect Juno.

Available for swaps if anybody can make me a good offer :wink:

Minxy said:
xSuzx said:

Just you WAIT until the end!!!! It took my breath away, I loved it!

oooh don't, I can't wait :cheer: , I have a few theory's about the end, can't wait to finish it.

Another fab book to read is star of the sea by Joseph O Conner, will do a review on this soon it is brilliant.

xSuzx

Becks&Riley said:
I thought what they did on book cl;ubs sum1 suggests a book and every1 then reads it n discusses when every1 has finished? that wuld be fun

some book clubs do do that yes. but i thought it would be best to leave it more open, as some people may not like the choice of books, or some people may not be able to get hold of the book.

but we could still do that, im not sure the best way to tackle it though, as people have different levels of literacy (if you know how i mean)

thank you all for the great reviews you have been writing :) im really enjoying reading them :)

and i promise at some point to review something other than Buffy :lol:

The little prisoner - Jane Elliot

Genre; True story

Review:
Starting with her reasoning for writing the book, you cant help but agree. i found myself drawn in by the first few pages.

Her evil stepdad -Richard treats her as a slave. always playing mind games with her, beating her up and using her for his sexual pleasure.
we follow her journey growing up, seeing her have her first boyfriend and asking ourselfs why he is allowing this. its all to prove he has ultimate control of her. Her mother is a victim of his violence also, although unaware of the true extent of what her daughter is going through. i found myself wondering if she indeed didnt know.

we see her have a child of her own, struggle to hold down a relationship and fight her fear of him to report him to the authorities.
with all the family taking his side, she was almost alone in her battle.

This is such a touching story of courage. Although some parts are horrifying, i couldnt help but turn the page.

definately reccomend this book :D

wow thats alot :D

it takes me abit longer to read books. but i get there in the end lol.

would you like to review some that you read?

Don't make us feel guilty :oops:

Digging to America - Anne Tyler

General fiction

The story of two little korean girls both adopted by american parents on the same day. The two families have different cultures, different viewpoints on the world, but having met at the airport on adoption day their lives become entwined in the years ahead.

An easy read, you can't help but become involved in the two families - and a perfect book for members of this forum as it looks at the different ways the two girls are reared. :D

I'm not usually a great fan of Anne Tyler - but having enjoyed this one so much I think I'll go back and look at her other titles.

And now ..for some reason I've just rediscovered all my Jilly Cooper books and am rereading Rivals - nothing like Jilly Cooper to make you forget any stress :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back