• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Suspecting croup?

Rosie's Mummy

Reaction score
Rosie has been waking up in the night the last couple of nights and then waking up at 5am - I have noticed a cough and when she goes to sleep her breathing is very noisy, it was awful when I checked her late last night. This morning her cough isnt really troubling her but when she coughs it sounds horrible! She makes a funny noise a bit like a bark?

Anyone had experience of croup? I might be 'barking' up the wrong tree!

Yes it's a horrible barking sound... I used to get it loads as a kid and my sister was telling me the other day that she was lying in bed one morning excited because she was convinced my mum had got us a dog :rofl:

Toby was in hospital with croup a few months ago because his breathing got so bad. Sam's had it too though, and within a day his cough sounded normal again and his breathing was fine. It inflames and narrows the area around the voice box (I think). Hope she's ok :hug:

Thanks SM - she does sounds hoarse too, although she doesnt have a temperature and seems fine in herself. Over the last few days she hasn't been into her food as much which made me think she had a tooth coming. I will keep an eye on her and hope it doesnt get any worse.

Yep if it sounds like a seal's bark then it is most likely croup :( Dec had it when he was younger and had to go to A&E, he had to have a dose of steriods to help with his breathing. If you put her in a steamy room it will help with her breathing. Hope she is better soon xx

my little boy sounds like a seal in sleeping in the other room its horrible, if it keeps him awake at night i rum the hot water tap in the bathroom and close the door the steam really helps i just sit in the with him for 10 mins. His started at about 18months and gets it a few times a year he will be 6 this year and still gets it now im not sure when they grow out of it?

Aww poor thing! Rosie keeps waking up to cough, it sounds as if there is mucus on her chest as when she's sleeping its like an awful rattling sound, then she wakes up coughing like mad. If she's not better tomorrow I'll take her to the doc's just in case she has a chest infection and not croup :( She only managed to get to sleep at 8.30, wanted lots of cuddles - she was hot too so she went to sleep in her vest and pj bottoms. I gave her both Calpol and Nurofen tonight, poor baby!

:( It's unmistakeable, hope lo is better soon :hug:

Rosie was awake at 2am coughing and barking, sounded like a terrible dry 'hollow' noise - it didnt help that last night was so warm and humid down here. I had a lie in anyways until 5.45 so was happy with that! She doesnt have a temperature just this awful cough - Rosie never gets coughs which is why Im suspecting this croup. Nurofen this morning and will monitor her thro' the day, Tesco this morning so she will enjoy that :)

Well I took Rosie to the doc this afternoon after she began to look quite unwell in Tesco - she has got croup and is very very croupy! I'm hoping that this is the peak and that she improves after today. This afternoon she had trouble breathing in and out when she got very distressed :(

Aw, poor wee lamb!! I really hope she gets better soon!!

My son had that last year he was fine all day and then he woke up with a really strange cough which sounded like he was barking! I took him to A&E and they were lovely and gave him a dose of steroids and he was back to his normal self in a couple of days :)

ahhh poor Rosie! I hope she's better soon!!! And...poor mummy! You need SLEEP!! :hug:

Just saw on your FB page, Poor Rosie. Hope she gets better very very soon :hug:

ahhh poor Rosie! I hope she's better soon!!! And...poor mummy! You need SLEEP!! :hug:

Well I did have a lie in this morning until 5.40am..I had Rosie in the bath when Steve got home at just gone 6! Will try to get an early ish night tonight :)

Oh dear, calling 5.45 a lie in!! this is a vision of my future isnt it?! Get some good zzzzzz tonight :)

When she is well she usually sleeps between 6.30 and 7 - got to admit the early mornings kill me but I would rather have them than all night-ers which are about to become part of our lives once again...

Its fine really, your body just automatically adjusts to it and although you are tired, its something that comes naturally iykwim? The sleep does come back eventually I promise! x

good to hear :) I dont mind really, Im looking forward to looking after my little boy day and night, I cant wait! (Ill be eating my words in 3 months time Im sure!!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back