Sure start grant?!

BKR123

Reaction score
Anyone know of a way around this grant?! I don't qualify for it because I work and so does my partner, and we don't receive any benefits! - I find this extremely unfair but never mind! I've read somewhere that if you receive the tax credit and child benefit this is a benefit that counts so you qualify for the grant. I'm not sure if this is true, so if anyone has any idea I would reall appreciate it! It is our first baby, and I'm 19 so I tick 2/3 boxes! Haha :) thanks in advance!x

everyone gets child benefit huni, but its not classed as one of the benefits you need to be claiming in order to qualify for the grant. xx

ESA, JSA income support or on a low income I think.
Xx

Income Support
income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
income-related Employment and Support Allowance
Pension Credit
Child Tax Credit at a rate higher than the family element
Working Tax Credit that includes a disability or severe disability element
Universal Credit

oh this is intresting this post.

i have a son 8 who is disabled my partners income is 16,500 or somthing but because im my sons carer we dont get working tax credit because the carers allowance takes us over the 18000 mark,how ever we do get a higher family tax credit weekly payment of 140 a week because of the servere disability entitlement what do you think our chances are of this ? does any 1 know of a phone number or who to contact to speek about it ? xx

*edited* - im not entitled as i have a child already however i said i hadnt claimed this bfore but still not allowed.i thaught maybe with my partners income only being £1607.40 for the year and me not working but being my sons carer we may have been entitled but were not.its gutting as we dont even get working tax credit with me being my sons carer that takes us to about £1807 quid a year its crap really isnt it never mind hope u get it it will be a huge help.

the number for any 1 wanting to enquire is 0845 6036967 (uk) X

Last edited:
It's so confusing isn't it! When baby comes we will get child tax credit but only about £6 per week! To get the grant you can get it if you get child tax credit but it has to be over a certain amount which is £548 a year which works out roughly £11.40 per week so we aren't going to be able to get it :( here's the eligibility though if you wanna have a look through: https://www.gov.uk/sure-start-maternity-grant/eligibility

Everyone gets child benefit however which is the £20.30 per week for the first child https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit/eligibility

Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back