Sure start grant?!

Discussion in 'Third Trimester' started by BKR123, May 21, 2013.

1. BKR123

BKR123 Well-Known Member

Anyone know of a way around this grant?! I don't qualify for it because I work and so does my partner, and we don't receive any benefits! - I find this extremely unfair but never mind! I've read somewhere that if you receive the tax credit and child benefit this is a benefit that counts so you qualify for the grant. I'm not sure if this is true, so if anyone has any idea I would reall appreciate it! It is our first baby, and I'm 19 so I tick 2/3 boxes! Haha :) thanks in advance!x

2. lauralou

lauralou Well-Known Member

everyone gets child benefit huni, but its not classed as one of the benefits you need to be claiming in order to qualify for the grant. xx

3. BKR123

BKR123 Well-Known Member

What would you need to be claiming?xx

4. Zoziebubly

Zoziebubly Well-Known Member

ESA, JSA income support or on a low income I think.
    Xx

5. lauralou

lauralou Well-Known Member

Income Support
    income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
    income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    Pension Credit
    Child Tax Credit at a rate higher than the family element
    Working Tax Credit that includes a disability or severe disability element
    Universal Credit

6. specialbump

specialbump Well-Known Member

oh this is intresting this post.

i have a son 8 who is disabled my partners income is 16,500 or somthing but because im my sons carer we dont get working tax credit because the carers allowance takes us over the 18000 mark,how ever we do get a higher family tax credit weekly payment of 140 a week because of the servere disability entitlement what do you think our chances are of this ? does any 1 know of a phone number or who to contact to speek about it ? xx

*edited* - im not entitled as i have a child already however i said i hadnt claimed this bfore but still not allowed.i thaught maybe with my partners income only being £1607.40 for the year and me not working but being my sons carer we may have been entitled but were not.its gutting as we dont even get working tax credit with me being my sons carer that takes us to about £1807 quid a year its crap really isnt it never mind hope u get it it will be a huge help.

the number for any 1 wanting to enquire is 0845 6036967 (uk) X

#6 specialbump, May 22, 2013
    Last edited: May 22, 2013
  7. L2310

L2310 Well-Known Member

It's so confusing isn't it! When baby comes we will get child tax credit but only about £6 per week! To get the grant you can get it if you get child tax credit but it has to be over a certain amount which is £548 a year which works out roughly £11.40 per week so we aren't going to be able to get it :( here's the eligibility though if you wanna have a look through: https://www.gov.uk/sure-start-maternity-grant/eligibility

Everyone gets child benefit however which is the £20.30 per week for the first child https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit/eligibility

Xx