sure start maternity grant

Tara & Liam

Reaction score
Hi

I was wondering if anyone had applied for the sure start maternity grant.

I down loaded it from the internet and am not sure where to get the envelopes to post it to them. would it be from my midwife. also does anyone know if we have to wait until the baby is born before we get the money.

cheers

x

i get mine paid in my bank tomorrow.

You can aply for it from 29 weeks i think, you have to get your midwife to fill in the back part of the book/form for you.

not sure about the envelopes tho coz i had the book/form posted to me so it had one in with it

I phoned up my local job center, then they put me through to the right people.

they say here that if you send in your form to early, even if its only a day, they throw it away, so be careful not to send it in to early, just in case

xx

i've already had mine, but i just toke the forums into my local job centre and they send them via courier :D can't get lost in the royal mail

Hi

Just phoned the job centre who gave me a number and they are sending the forms to me.

I have already filled in the form that i got off the internet, i just needed the envelope. is it true that you only get it after the baby is born.

x

hey while we are on the subject, who is entitled to this grant?? I work, so does that mean Im not??

Hi

For me the reason why we qualify is that we receive Tax Credit at a higher rate than £548 a year. We get tax credit as we have two kids already and i work and am on a low income, (blooming national health).

i dont know how you qualify if you havent any children already.

Sorry not much help.

x

Melanie

You can claim when between 11 weeks of baby being due and 3 months after. anyone can apply for it to buy baby things. It is worth filling in the form, if you dont try you dont know.

This is the number 01908 557287 (you can get the number from your local job centre), plus it is for £500 at the moment. seems to go up every year.

x

oh cool, even though me and D/F work, I dont earn alot and im not full time, I guess it wont hurt to find out, thanks so much for that hehe ! ~:)

Apparently I qualified until I moved in with my partner even though we are now on less money between us than before we moved out :?
Don't understand why. I don't and can't work, but don't get Income support as OH works - therefore don't qualify. Don't think it's fair but hey ho. :roll:

I applied for mine on a Monday and it was paid into my Bank the following Monday. (Was very impressed !)

:0)
Ragna xxx

Hi Sami

I find that with these sort of things, it is worthwhile appealing. i mean 7 out of 10 times you win your case, give it a go. just exaggerate how tough you are finding it, as you cant work OH doesnt earn vast amounts and you are worried about how you are going to cope.

Sometimes they refuse people and when they appeal they relent.

x

I have applied for it today.... I found out I was on pension credits last night and they had to be stopped so that I could have my Maternity Allowance paid.
I never knew I was even on pension credits or what they were :shock: - it's due to me not working and having been on Income Support before me and OH moved in together, but not being entitled to Incapacity Benefit.
So have sent off my form even though they have stopped the credits for me to get my MA, as I would have qualified for it for a while before...so I hope they give it to me on that basis. If not, I shall appeal and see what happens.
I'm not trying to get money from the government I don't need to spend on anything, it's just me and OH could really honestly do with it for buying things for the baby (still only have the cot and crib!!). Didn't want you to think I'm trying to be greedy :oops:

Hi
my mum applied for mine last wednesday she took the form into the local job plus center and she got a letter today saying she is getting the money tomorrow (wednesday) so no you dont have to wait till baby is born to recive the money hope this helps

Thanks for that Gill

I got my form signed by my midwife yesterday and i am going to post it tomorrow, or i might just take it into the job centre. (is that what everyone else done).

Sami no one would think that you are greedy. If you are lucky enough to be entitled to it then why not take it. In fact i think that all pregnant mothers should be entitled to the money. Let's face it, it costs a fortune to buy everything that your baby would need.

This forum helps people to know what they should claim, i mean i never knew that i was entitled to the £500 grant until last week.

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back